• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Attack
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jan 2017
    • Send PM

Telesco end of season press conference

Telesco spoke about the O-line, and said it performed very well for the first 13 weeks, and then dropped off at the end of the season, and he needs to figure out why. He also spoke about Lamp, saying he looks good, and isn't down on him, and with a full offseason coming up, he should be able to contribute next season. Based on his comments, I don't think Telesco feels the O-line needs big changes, and probably is good with what is there now, adding in Lamp.

He said the LB position needs to be addressed and D-line could use some help, although he feels the D-line patchwork that was done did a decent job.

If he's not blowing smoke, I think the D will be addressed this offseason more than the O.
  • Formula 21
    The Future is Now
    • Jun 2013
    • Republic of San Diego
    • Send PM

Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
    The Wasted Decade is done.
    Build Back Better.

Comment

• TTThunder
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jul 2013
      • Send PM

Did he address our special team?

How about coaching staff?

Comment

• vinabolt
        Vietnamese Chargers' Fan
        • Feb 2015
        • Send PM

Sounds like he's viewing LBs is a bigger issue than OL. Defense got exposed so bad against NE, we couldn't even play the LBs, had to risk it with the all-DBs light defense against that power running game.

Our OL are more of an advance X&O coaching issue than physical talents issue. The ST suffered from bad A to Z coaching issue at the beginning of the season, players were missing simple assignments and basic plays. They did, however, improved over time as the season went on. But at the end of the season, like the OL, the advance part of X&O coaching got exposed a bit by teams, people were able to do advance gameplan to exploit and take advantage of some of our holes on punter/kicker/QB protection, our blocking scheme, our blockers' discipline. The ST also was not a talent issue or laziness/effort issue. The positives are that ST had 1 of the top return and coverage units in the league.
        Follow me and my wife here: https://twitter.com/gossip_lady_se

Comment

• blueman
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Glad he is worried about LBs, he should be.

Comment

• Screeme
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

I don't think Pouncey is built for a full season anymore. His play really tailed off at the end of the year, and the rest of the line really followed suit without him being that stout interior anchor. Tevi, I think was hit or miss most of the season.

This draft and offseason needs to be about upgrading the offensive line and defensive front 7.

Comment

• RTPbolt
              Charger Fan till the end
              • Jun 2013
              • North Carolina
              • Send PM

I agree with Screeme.

DL needs help...a good LB and an interior lineman would do wonders. Perriman is good but he pretty much only plays 10-12 games a year due to injuries and im wondering how many years he really has left at this point. An FA to compete here and and a draft pick or 2 is needed.

We need help in the OL. The interior gets manhandled on bullrushes and teams know it. They seemed to run block ok but pass protection is a big weakness. If we had a better OL we really could chew clock time and Rivers would seriously be the MVP candidate. Unfortunately Im concerned on age with LT and C...probably can get by as they werent the weakest links. Our Gs and RT just are middle of the road on a good day right now. Id like yo bring in a Vet or possibly 2 to shore this up with the limited time we have with Rivers. I hope Lamp and Feeney step up but it seems neither really stood out as a Good player but maybe year 2 and 3 respectively will show these higher picks play into the roles.

On a positive note we have a great base on both sides of the ball so filling holes isnt like starting over like some teams are considering. A few key adds and a little injury luck would do the trick.

Comment

• Boltx
                Dominate the day
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Screeme View Post
                I don't think Pouncey is built for a full season anymore. His play really tailed off at the end of the year, and the rest of the line really followed suit without him being that stout interior anchor. Tevi, I think was hit or miss most of the season.

This draft and offseason needs to be about upgrading the offensive line and defensive front 7.
                This is a valid concern. I think Okung is also 32 next year but still serviceable.

If Lamp can come back and be effective at one of the guard spots, I think that's HUGE. I would still seek out a good RT upgrade via draft or FA. I think at this point we have to roll the dice with Pouncey and hope he can hold up.

LB corps needs an infusion of talent and bodies too.
                ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

• OhioBolt
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltx View Post

This is a valid concern. I think Okung is also 32 next year but still serviceable.

If Lamp can come back and be effective at one of the guard spots, I think that's HUGE. I would still seek out a good RT upgrade via draft or FA. I think at this point we have to roll the dice with Pouncey and hope he can hold up.

LB corps needs an infusion of talent and bodies too.
                  Lets pray we get one more good year out of Okung, because you don't want to turn over the whole oline. I agree Pouncey back issue doesn't allow him to play 16 games at a high level he was good the first half for sure that is why Miama elected not to resign him. Lamp needs to step up big time in the off-season and be ready to start next year we can't live with a combo of guards starting named Scholfied and Feeney. Sam Tevi was a liability at tackle he struggled mightly in pass protection, he is good in the run game maybe he can be kicked in at guard. Lamp is key in 2019 he might even need to be ready. Last question did Feeney play center in college?

T-Okung
                  G-Lamp
                  C-Pouncey???
                  G-Tevi/Feeney
                  T-FA or Draft

Comment

• foreigner
                    Tom Telesco is gone
                    • Sep 2013
                    • Send PM

Complacent... thats a word I used a lot in this forum to describe this team.

"Chargers coach Anthony Lynn will be in attack mode in 2019: 'We won't be complacent'"

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com...115-story.html

Comment

• like54ninjas
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Oct 2017
                      • Great White North
                      • Draftnik
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by OhioBolt View Post

Lets pray we get one more good year out of Okung, because you don't want to turn over the whole oline. I agree Pouncey back issue doesn't allow him to play 16 games at a high level he was good the first half for sure that is why Miama elected not to resign him. Lamp needs to step up big time in the off-season and be ready to start next year we can't live with a combo of guards starting named Scholfied and Feeney. Sam Tevi was a liability at tackle he struggled mightly in pass protection, he is good in the run game maybe he can be kicked in at guard. Lamp is key in 2019 he might even need to be ready. Last question did Feeney play center in college?

T-Okung
                      G-Lamp
                      C-Pouncey???
                      G-Tevi/Feeney
                      T-FA or Draft
                      My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
                      K9
                      Nasir
                      Tillery
                      Parham
                      Reed

Comment

• foreigner
                        Tom Telesco is gone
                        • Sep 2013
                        • Send PM

I think Feeney now has experience and can work his way up from there.

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        😀
                        😂
                        🥰
                        😘
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😞
                        😡
                        👍