• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Boltjolt
    Dont let the PBs fool ya
    • Jun 2013
    • Henderson, NV
    • Send PM

There is no way he is fine with Tevi as our starting RT. If you can get better there, why wouldn't you? Schofield .....I hope Lamp can beat him out. He is good depth but isn't a great OG and was a horrible RT in Denver.
    And then there is Feeney. TT happy with the OL? I call bullshit. They got exposed by the better teams. That's what happened.
    Last edited by Boltjolt; 01-18-2019, 04:18 PM.

Comment

• blueman
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by foreigner View Post
      Complacent... thats a word I used a lot in this forum to describe this team.

"Chargers coach Anthony Lynn will be in attack mode in 2019: 'We won't be complacent'"

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com...115-story.html
      I tried, got attacked.

Comment

• SDFan
        Woober Goober
        • Jun 2013
        • Dolores, CO
        • Retired
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
        There is no way he is fine with Tevi as our starting RT. If you can get better there, why wouldn't you? Schofield .....I hope Lamp can beat him out. He is good depth but isn't a great OG and was a horrible RT in Denver.
        And then there is Feeney. TT happy with the OL? I call bullshit. They got exposed by the better teams. That's what happened.
        that's how I see it too. A lot of people noticed the OL fell way off the last 6 games or so- that coincided with Tevi replacing Barksdale as starting RT. Some people are blaming the drop on Pouncey slowing down and saying that's why Miami let him go? IIRC, Miami let him go because of concerns of durability on degenerative hip damage that caused him to miss games in previous seasons. The Chargers got a full season out of him, so not buying him being the reason for OL fade- more like covering for the 2 sub-par guys on either side of him. Seems to me, as long as John Spanos has been in charge of scouting and then the whole football operation- they have come up short or missed entirely on OL draft picks. Compare against what Indy did finding 2 great starters in 1 year? To their credit they have gotten some mileage out of UDFAs and some veteran FAs as stop gaps, but counting on OLs with past their prime vet starters like Okung and Barksdale at OT and mostly garbage on the interior year after year is a huge fail and does not build you a dominating OL to last a decade together. It's just re-arranging deck chairs on the Titanic most years and hoping Rivers can cover for all the under-performers.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and predict Lamp never sees the field in a real game for the Chargers and is let go before next season begins, as he appears to be on the exact same trajectory as that lanky OC taken in what 3rd(?) round a couple years ago that they hyped up and never amounted to anything after wasting 2 years nursing the guy through weight training to bulk up and then knee injury/recovery before being cut. In reality, the team probably needs to upgrade the talent next year at BOTH OGs + RT -AND- have higher quality backup/replacements ready to take over at a moment's notice for both Okung & Pouncey part way through the season if they want to take the next step in a playoff run. At this point, IMO Feeney and Tevi are probably destined to be backups and may or may not continue to develop into anything more than what they showed this year.
        Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• Formula 21
          The Future is Now
          • Jun 2013
          • Republic of San Diego
          • Send PM

I expect both Feeney and Tevi to get better. The question is how much. When you start at the bottom, is it realistic to even get to average.

Im bringing in both An OT and an OG in my draft. And the OT has to be in the top two rounds.
          Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
          The Wasted Decade is done.
          Build Back Better.

Comment

• Formula 21
            The Future is Now
            • Jun 2013
            • Republic of San Diego
            • Send PM

Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
            The Wasted Decade is done.
            Build Back Better.

Comment

• Parcells
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Comment

• SDFan
                Woober Goober
                • Jun 2013
                • Dolores, CO
                • Retired
                • Send PM

Clary

Comment

• Boltx
                  Dominate the day
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by SDfan View Post

that's how I see it too. A lot of people noticed the OL fell way off the last 6 games or so- that coincided with Tevi replacing Barksdale as starting RT. Some people are blaming the drop on Pouncey slowing down and saying that's why Miami let him go? IIRC, Miami let him go because of concerns of durability on degenerative hip damage that caused him to miss games in previous seasons. The Chargers got a full season out of him, so not buying him being the reason for OL fade- more like covering for the 2 sub-par guys on either side of him. Seems to me, as long as John Spanos has been in charge of scouting and then the whole football operation- they have come up short or missed entirely on OL draft picks. Compare against what Indy did finding 2 great starters in 1 year? To their credit they have gotten some mileage out of UDFAs and some veteran FAs as stop gaps, but counting on OLs with past their prime vet starters like Okung and Barksdale at OT and mostly garbage on the interior year after year is a huge fail and does not build you a dominating OL to last a decade together. It's just re-arranging deck chairs on the Titanic most years and hoping Rivers can cover for all the under-performers.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and predict Lamp never sees the field in a real game for the Chargers and is let go before next season begins, as he appears to be on the exact same trajectory as that lanky OC taken in what 3rd(?) round a couple years ago that they hyped up and never amounted to anything after wasting 2 years nursing the guy through weight training to bulk up and then knee injury/recovery before being cut. In reality, the team probably needs to upgrade the talent next year at BOTH OGs + RT -AND- have higher quality backup/replacements ready to take over at a moment's notice for both Okung & Pouncey part way through the season if they want to take the next step in a playoff run. At this point, IMO Feeney and Tevi are probably destined to be backups and may or may not continue to develop into anything more than what they showed this year.
                  I'm not disagreeing with you, but if that much of a rebuild of the OL is needed, then we are fucked because Rivers' career won't last to see it to fruition.

Just spend the money on this one area...Telesco has done a lot of good for this team but his OL picks just haven't panned out.

​​​​​​Honestly, I think the fastest solution is to spend money on the OL in free agency and go DL/LB heavy this draft.
                  ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

• SDFan
                    Woober Goober
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Dolores, CO
                    • Retired
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltx View Post

I'm not disagreeing with you, but if that much of a rebuild of the OL is needed, then we are fucked because Rivers' career won't last to see it to fruition.
                    correct. also I think people need to stop seeing Rivers as central to any decision making or the magic ingredient for a Super Bowl win. We've already seen his best- and it just isn't good enough to carry any Spanos team to a Super Bowl.

Just spend the money on this one area...Telesco has done a lot of good for this team but his OL picks just haven't panned out.
                    Honestly, the track record (including pre Telesco) tells me these are John Spanos's OL picks all along, not the GM's.

Honestly, I think the fastest solution is to spend money on the OL in free agency and go DL/LB heavy this draft.
                    They've already tried that multiple times and it never results in a durable team strength to count on. Last time it came close was under Beathard with John Jackson, Aaron Taylor and Stan Brock.

Comment

• beachcomber
                      & ramblin' man
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

would wager that Telesco is good on his word and if he says LBs are a concern/the priority, think if you're Denzel Perryman and/or Kyle Emanuel, don't think you can be counting on a return as a Los Angeles Charger for next season.

@SAM think 'tis pretty cut and dry as Te'Von Coney seems like the guy, unless you like Anthony Barr in FA ??

if Devin White dropped to us @28 that would pretty much be a Derwin James redux, and some peoples are hoping/thinking we might go Mack Wilson/Devin Bush round one ??

the other name that gets bandied about is Terrill Hanks, albeit wonder if he is more WIL than an ILB ??
                      RT Taliese Fuaga, DT Jer'Zhan Newton, NT T'Vondre Sweat, LB Cedric Gray, TE Ben Sinnott, RB Daijun Edwards, FS Cole Bishop, QB Joe Milton

Comment

• richpjr
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Nashville
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post
                        would wager that Telesco is good on his word and if he says LBs are a concern/the priority, think if you're Denzel Perryman and/or Kyle Emanuel, don't think you can be counting on a return as a Los Angeles Charger for next season.

@SAM think 'tis pretty cut and dry as Te'Von Coney seems like the guy, unless you like Anthony Barr in FA ??

if Devin White dropped to us @28 that would pretty much be a Derwin James redux, and some peoples are hoping/thinking we might go Mack Wilson/Devin Bush round one ??

the other name that gets bandied about is Terrill Hanks, albeit wonder if he is more WIL than an ILB ??
                        I'm not sure Barr will be worth what he is asking. He has a lot of talent but really disappears for long stretches and makes a lot of bonehead mistakes. Having said that, he would be a big upgrade over anyone we have on the roster.

Comment

• beachcomber
                          & ramblin' man
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

if I'm Telesco and am looking for a vet hedge for Rivers and our 2020 season, still think Marcus is a very Telesco compatible signing/acquisition:

The Titans exercised the fifth-year option on former No. 2 overall pick Marcus Mariota, all but guaranteeing that he'll be back as the starter in 2019. Mariota has yet to make it through a full NFL season healthy and has not produced 20 touchdowns (passing and rushing combined) either of the past two years. One way or the other, the Titans need greater consistency at quarterback to take the next step and may see Lock as too gifted to allow to slip any further.
                          http://footballmaven.io/nfldraftscou...0mHzFCvRPy9DA/
                          RT Taliese Fuaga, DT Jer'Zhan Newton, NT T'Vondre Sweat, LB Cedric Gray, TE Ben Sinnott, RB Daijun Edwards, FS Cole Bishop, QB Joe Milton

Comment

Working...
                          X