• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ghost
    The Rise of Kellen Moore
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Ian Rappaport - Chiefs fire defensive coordinator Bob Sutton

Much maligned Bob Sutton. I thought his defense in the AFCCG was terrific.

He put up a five man defensive fronts as looks, mixed his coverages & blitzes, along with a dime packages, all which paid dividends.

That said, there are rumors of Rex Ryan coming in as D.C. for Andy Reid. That would be a seriously interesting team.
    Last edited by ghost; 01-22-2019, 03:01 PM. Reason: Screwed the original link.
  • captaind
    Cook This Pork Chops
    • Jun 2013
    • Mars
    • Ball Holder
    • Send PM

I thought he saved his job with that playoff performance. Much better than the regular season. They must have already made up their minds.

Comment

• UglyTruth
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Oct 2018
      • Send PM

Tom Telesco’s Results in 9 years as Chargers GM:

- 69-74 record
      - 0 division titles in 9 yrs as GM
      - Worst record among all active GMs with same tenure
      - 6th worst winning percentage among all active GMs overall
      - 2 playoff wins despite elite QB all 9 yrs
      - Team still has the same weaknesses (Oline and run defense) that it had when hired as GM in 2013
      - Consistently puts together horrible depth, expects starters to never miss games

Comment

• Heatmiser
        HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Bradley's entire defense is based on zone. That is what got them to the Patriots game. I know Tony Homo repeated it like a mantra all game, but how effective would the chargers be in changing their entire defensive concept with a severely injured LB core in one week? Brady and Rivers always fare well against the cover 2/3 zone defense. Also the Chargers did not execute the defense well (missed tackles, confused assignments, etc) and it is the one they played every week. How well would they have executed a totatlly different defense?

Sutton is a Ryan protege, I think. So bringing in Ryan makes sense in that the scheme would not be changed. But honestly, how well will Ryan get along with Reid? Will his ego allow him to just be the DC? I guess if he thinks it is his ticket to another head coaching job, Ryan might do it.

TG
        Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• ghost
          The Rise of Kellen Moore
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post
          Bradley's entire defense is based on zone. That is what got them to the Patriots game. I know Tony Homo repeated it like a mantra all game, but how effective would the chargers be in changing their entire defensive concept with a severely injured LB core in one week? Brady and Rivers always fare well against the cover 2/3 zone defense. Also the Chargers did not execute the defense well (missed tackles, confused assignments, etc) and it is the one they played every week. How well would they have executed a totatlly different defense?

Sutton is a Ryan protege, I think. So bringing in Ryan makes sense in that the scheme would not be changed. But honestly, how well will Ryan get along with Reid? Will his ego allow him to just be the DC? I guess if he thinks it is his ticket to another head coaching job, Ryan might do it.

TG
          Seems like a terrible marriage. Two Alpha personalties, Andy will hire a quieter D.C. coach without so much bluster, IMO. Steve Spagnolo seems a better fit.

Comment

• Coachmarkos
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • SoDak
            • Technology Director
            • Send PM

Sutton is 11 years older than Ryan, so I don't know if he's a Ryan disciple, other than he worked for him.

He always seemed to call good gameplans against the chargers, is all I can say for the guy.
            "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

• ghost
              The Rise of Kellen Moore
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Coachmarkos View Post
              Sutton is 11 years older than Ryan, so I don't know if he's a Ryan disciple, other than he worked for him.

He always seemed to call good gameplans against the chargers, is all I can say for the guy.
              Drove me crazy that Rex Ryan took Marty's system to New York and drafted an offensive front line with Eric Mangold & D'Brickashaw Ferguson, hired Marty's son Brian to run it and beat the Patriots in the playoffs with Shonn Greene and LT running the ball.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                Dont let the PBs fool ya
                • Jun 2013
                • Henderson, NV
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post

TG
                Its not like we have never blitzed before or ever played man before. And we actually did play man in the second half just didnt blitz. These guys have been playing football their whole lives, doing some else like man coverage isnt foreign to them.

Comment

• richpjr
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Nashville
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Its not like we have never blitzed before or ever played man before. And we actually did play man in the second half just didnt blitz. These guys have been playing football their whole lives, doing some else like man coverage isnt foreign to them.
                  The problem is that the game was over by the second half. It took WAY too long to adjust to what they were doing, and it's kind of sad that we were so predictable that they came up with a game plan that we had no answer for. Some of it was his hands being tied by having all our linebackers hurt. But I just struggle with daring Brady to pick apart a zone, because the results were pretty predictable.

Comment

Working...
                  X