• Sep 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

DJ improved a training regimen.
    It was on social media.
    Unrecognizable.
    The guy was still slow as F,
    but "cut" now...definition.

SEA now goes Iupati-Britt-Fluker @ IOL, and they run more than anybody.
    Duane Brown at OLT. Damn.
    Like I said, gave up too soon.

Comment

• Xenos
      • Feb 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

Like I said, gave up too soon.
      Or maybe he, like Lambo, needed a change of scenery to thrive. Probably helps that the Seahawk's scheme fits him more.

Comment

• Topcat
        AKA "Pollcat"
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Electric Chicken View Post

I think it would be funny if the Chargers signed Bell and trade Gordon away,,,,lol. Don't get me wrong Gordon does his best and works hard but so do wash machines,,,,
        LOL...aw man, Chicken, yer crackin' me up..."Washing Machine Gordon" -- when he goes up the gut for a half-yard gain, he puts the fans through the ringer...

Comment

• Sgt. Pepper
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Apr 2019
          • Send PM

ESPN pundit Bill Barnwell is pretty adamant the Chargers not extend Gordon and move on from him after this season. He makes his case here and again here.

...the Chargers have to give serious thought to letting Gordon leave after the 2019 season. For one, there are concerns about paying any veteran running back significant money after his rookie deal. Gordon doesn't have as many carries as other backs after their first four seasons, but that's because he has already struggled to stay healthy; he has completed just one 16-game season and missed nine games in four campaigns. Gordon has suffered knee injuries in three different years in addition to a 2016 hip sprain and a 2018 hamstring issue.

There is some merit to this. Gordon is an upright runner whose success is due to his style of taking on contact and breaking tackles. I love watching him, but every time he has one of those runs where he absorbs five hits and keeps going, I think his career is going to be short. He reminds of Earl Campbell - not as dominating, but MG's ability to deliver punishment and power through tacklers is reminiscent of Campbell. Campbell's career was short - he only had four or five good seasons then his body started to give out.

Then you have the case of Todd Gurley and his arthritic knee. Will he ever be that dominant player again? It does raise the question of whether to give big contracts to RBs, especially the physical ones like Gurley and Gordon, after they've been in the league 4-5 years. Especially if they have not been able to stay healthy enough to play complete seasons, like Gordon. To be fair, the play that Gordon got injured on last season - Nov. 25 v the Cards - that caused him to miss some late season games, was really unnecessary and exposed him to a hit on his knee he shouldn't have taken. (Review it here.) I put that one on the coaches.

I hope that Gordon can put together a complete season and get the 2nd contract I think he deserves and continue his career wearing bolts. It can't be for Gurley money though. The team needs to protect itself.

As an end note, Earl Campbell has suffered greatly in his post-career, he can hardly walk now. Gordon gives everything he has on the field. I really like watching him run. But I am concerned about his post-career physical health too. Every time I see him rip off a big gainer by powering through hit after hit, I feel a bit guilty for enjoying it because of what it might cost him in physical pain and disability as he ages.
          Last edited by Sgt. Pepper; 05-28-2019, 10:29 AM.

Comment

• like54ninjas
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Oct 2017
            • Great White North
            • Draftnik
            • Send PM

RBs are too replaceable. Let him get his big $ contract elsewhere and we can receive a comp pick in the future.
            My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
            K9
            Nasir
            Tillery
            Parham
            Reed

Comment

• Fleet
              TPB Founder
              • Jun 2013
              • Cardiff - Poipu
              • Send PM

Ive been a pretty strong supporter of him. I wanted us to draft him. And its not that i think he deserves to get a huge payday...its just that i think TT loves him. That was my gut feeling when Gordon came out and said he was waiting for Bell to sign. We have a Gordon thread around here with some decent discussion regarding his contract. I didnt want to merge your thread without seeing how you felt about it. But this could easily be part of that discussion.

After looking at what players need to be signed over the next couple years it may make some sense to let him walk. Because he will most likely get close to Gurley type numbers. Isnt the most durable back. But he also gets hit a more than most. I think he may be the top back for yardage after contact. He breaks a lot of tackles. Get him behind a Dallas type OL or Colts OL and watch out. The Colts could easily give him huge money.

I love having a stud RB....especially with Rivers because he is such a pocket type passer. He doesnt run an RPO and has almost no plays designed outside the pocket while moving. But it may make some sense to really put high picks and money into a monster OL. Defensively we may be set for a while. If we use Gordons money to re-sign guys like Bosa and Ingram. Things would be a lot easier money wise if we didnt have Rivers potentially getting 30M a year over the next couple seasons after this one.

RB is probably one of the more easier positions to draft. Multiple guys i have liked in the mid rounds in recent years have done very well. David Johnson and James Conner come to mind. Liked Kerryon a lot last year. And since we will be drafting in the back of round 1 for years to come i also dont have an issue taking a RB in the back of round 1 or 2. Saves us a lot of money just drafting one.

Lots of big names coming up....

Comment

• Sgt. Pepper
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Apr 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post
                Ive been a pretty strong supporter of him. I wanted us to draft him. And its not that i think he deserves to get a huge payday...its just that i think TT loves him. That was my gut feeling when Gordon came out and said he was waiting for Bell to sign. We have a Gordon thread around here with some decent discussion regarding his contract. I didnt want to merge your thread without seeing how you felt about it. But this could easily be part of that discussion.

After looking at what players need to be signed over the next couple years it may make some sense to let him walk. Because he will most likely get close to Gurley type numbers. Isnt the most durable back. But he also gets hit a more than most. I think he may be the top back for yardage after contact. He breaks a lot of tackles. Get him behind a Dallas type OL or Colts OL and watch out. The Colts could easily give him huge money.

I love having a stud RB....especially with Rivers because he is such a pocket type passer. He doesnt run an RPO and has almost no plays designed outside the pocket while moving. But it may make some sense to really put high picks and money into a monster OL. Defensively we may be set for a while. If we use Gordons money to re-sign guys like Bosa and Ingram. Things would be a lot easier money wise if we didnt have Rivers potentially getting 30M a year over the next couple seasons after this one.

RB is probably one of the more easier positions to draft. Multiple guys i have liked in the mid rounds in recent years have done very well. David Johnson and James Conner come to mind. Liked Kerryon a lot last year. And since we will be drafting in the back of round 1 for years to come i also dont have an issue taking a RB in the back of round 1 or 2.

Lots of big names coming up....

I couldn't find that thread.

Comment

• jamrock
                  lawyers, guns and money
                  • Sep 2017
                  • Send PM

Kareem Hunt woul;d have been a good pick-up. Still mad they didn't bring him in. Would make letting Gordon go elsewhere much easier.

Comment

• Fleet
                    TPB Founder
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Cardiff - Poipu
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Sgt. Pepper View Post
                    I couldn't find that thread.
                    Its on page 3. I could merge these threads. Its a really good article you posted and would add to our already decent MG contract discussion. You cool with that? I dont typically ask when i make a mod move but with newer members i would like to work hand and hand with you guys. Work with you rather than for you sort of thing.

Its great to have you here by the way. I know its slow. But i shared the surf spot analogy with a friend last night. Grew up surfing Sunset Cliffs as a kid. And it didnt fire all the time. The big waves came in the winter. And when they were big there were a lot of guys out. So on a good day this place is like that cherry little surf spot. Doesnt always happen but when it does we get a lot of surfers. lol This is the most active we have been after the move. At least as far as offseason activity. I think this place will be really active once the news starts hitting the wires. Camp etc. Thats going to be our great surfing and it will last months.

Comment

• moneyisevil
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Mar 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post
                      RBs are too replaceable. Let him get his big $ contract elsewhere and we can receive a comp pick in the future.
                      I agree, get rid of him and get a really good R.B., I just don't understand our H.C and G.M !

Comment

• Fleet
                        TPB Founder
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Cardiff - Poipu
                        • Send PM

Merged. lol This thread had some traction. Its a pretty serious move for us wether he comes back or not. So i wanted to keep adding to the discussion.

Comment

• Sgt. Pepper
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Apr 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post

Its on page 3. I could merge these threads. Its a really good article you posted and would add to our already decent MG contract discussion. You cool with that? I dont typically ask when i make a mod move but with newer members i would like to work hand and hand with you guys. Work with you rather than for you sort of thing.

Its great to have you here by the way. I know its slow. But i shared the surf spot analogy with a friend last night. Grew up surfing Sunset Cliffs as a kid. And it didnt fire all the time. The big waves came in the winter. And when they were big there were a lot of guys out. So on a good day this place is like that cherry little surf spot. Doesnt always happen but when it does we get a lot of surfers. lol This is the most active we have been after the move. At least as far as offseason activity. I think this place will be really active once the news starts hitting the wires. Camp etc. Thats going to be our great surfing and it will last months.
                          Cool. I looked for this thread on my phone and couldn't find it.

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡
                          👍