• Show
Clear All
  • like54ninjas
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Oct 2017
    • Great White North
    • Draftnik
    • Send PM

I think if we resign Corey it will be after the draft. He is doing injury rehab and will not be a hit ticket on the FA market.
    My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
    K9
    Nasir
    Tillery
    Parham
    Reed

Comment

• CTrout
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

I wouldn't be opposed to a complete overhaul at DT. Jones and McGill are the only ones under contract so the opportunity is there. Square and Philon are good rotational guys but I'm not sure either one is really worth the $$$ their likely to get as FAs.

Comment

• La Costa Boy
        Pretty much retired......
        • Sep 2018
        • JoJa
        • Bloviator of hot air and rhetoric.
        • Send PM

Originally posted by chargerkdb View Post
        Next up, Benjamin
        Hey Jahleel....the coach wants to see you and bring your playbook..........

Comment

• Formula 21
          The Future is Now
          • Jun 2013
          • Republic of San Diego
          • Send PM

I hope everyone remembers that Philon had our 4th most sacks last year. And the most from the DT position. As a part timer. I don't want to throw that production away.

And Liuget's stats are pathetic. I'm not sure he is worth bringing back at all.

Tackles

TOTAL SOLO ASSIST SACKS (4th column)
          Melvin Ingram 43 26 15 7 1
          Joey Bosa 23 17 5 5.5 0
          Isaac Rochell 29 16 11 5 0
          Darius Philon 33 15 14 4 1
          Derwin James 105 68 30 3.5 0
          Uchenna Nwosu 27 16 10 3.5 0
          Damion Square 31 16 15 3 0
          Corey Liuget 14 7 5 1.5 0
          Brandon Mebane 40 16 18 1 1
          Kyle Emanuel 30 21 9 1 0 0
          Jahleel Addae 75 46 23 1 0
          Jatavis Brown 97 57 36 1 1
          Rayshawn Jenkins 23 12 10 0.5 0
          Justin Jones 17 5 10 0.5 0
          Last edited by Formula 21; 02-14-2019, 03:07 PM.
          Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
          The Wasted Decade is done.
          Build Back Better.

Comment

• blueman
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Where is the snap count comparison?

Comment

• RTPbolt
              Charger Fan till the end
              • Jun 2013
              • North Carolina
              • Send PM

Im ok with a vet min type contract. Injury history says we need a good replacement. Draft or FA i dont care but we need a force in the middle to make the D take a next step. Our guys our young in general but i font think we have a monster in the middle type. We get inside pressure and that is a game changer against this division of KC and Denver and Carr. Impacts the run game as well.

Comment

• beachcomber
                & ramblin' man
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

Isaac Roche!!

Philon is replaceable.... think Square stays as apparently he is a locker room fave and guessin' someone'll feel the need to bridge any gap left by the probable departure of Mebane ??

and gotta think JJ sticks around, given that he flashed/splashed, and.... gotta imagine TT goes DT @least once in the draft, and.... really hoping we bring in a NT via FA.

know we need an OT and prolly a coupla few other positions filled el pronto, and.... still say the IDL is numero uno far as priorities go this offseason.... pls see #NE35.
                RT Taliese Fuaga, DT Jer'Zhan Newton, NT T'Vondre Sweat, LB Cedric Gray, TE Ben Sinnott, RB Daijun Edwards, FS Cole Bishop, QB Joe Milton

Comment

• SDFan
                  Woober Goober
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Dolores, CO
                  • Retired
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post
                  I think if we resign Corey it will be after the draft. He is doing injury rehab and will not be a hit ticket on the FA market.
                  they better check him for PEDs before talking contract to bring him back...
                  Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• Steve
                    Administrator
                    • Jun 2013
                    • South Carolina
                    • Meteorologist
                    • Send PM

Square is great depth since he can play across the line. He is actually more productive outside than inside, but is not necessarily an ideal fit at any position. If he is willing to come back at a similar salary, he would be a nice addition. But we need a true starter in front of him.

Lanier was playing very well inside for Washington after Johnathan Allen got hurt (2 years ago) and then last year was lost in the shuffle when they drafted Settle and Daron Payne and Allen stayed healthy and Ioannidis started playing really well. There are just not enough spots on a 34 DL behind that many good players. His best position is probably as a strong side DE, who slides inside on passing downs, although he has played inside before.

Rochell showed flashes as an inside player on passing downs, but with all the weight he lost, it helped his explosiveness and ability to run, but he is probably not going to hold up well inside if he plays there on run downs too.

McGill is one of the quickest DL in football now. He was incredibly explosive, but if he doesn't win with quickness, his hand use is terrible and he is not able to use his leverage or power to shed. I hope he can learn some hand use from Giff Smith (our DL coach), because he would make a great penetrating DT if he can do a better job of shedding blocks.

I would like to see Mebane added to the coaching staff. Hire him as some sort of consultant. he has played all the variations of 43 DT, so he would be an excellent guy to help younger players learn the finer points of the game. But he showed his age. He is like a lot of older guys. When he came back from time off, he was able to be effective, but he wore down once he was back. And we need better play from our DT than he has been giving.

Justin Jones had a pretty good year. I liked his effort early on because it seemed like in college he didn't always play with a sense of urgency, but he was good for us. Then he was inactive when Liuget came back (or didn't get to play as much), then he kept up the effort/urgency and started playing with more skill. Like a lot of developing DT, I thought he was a step slow on a lot of plays, so as he develops and plays faster, I think he will be even better. Solid run stuffer and pass rusher who can play both DT spots.

I think the player we really need to add is a true run stuffing DT. There are several in FA. Danny Shelton is the best, but Malcolm Brown, Rodney Gunter, Johnathan Hankins, Al Woods, are all players with some ability, who probably won't break the bank.

As far as 3 technique DT there are only a couple out there. Sheldon Richardson is probably the best, with Grady Jarrett being almost as good, but not a head case., like Richardson has been in the past. Philon has played well, but he didn't really step up his game and he seemed ready to do so. He flashes the quickness and power to be a great 3 tech player but just doesn't do it enough. I just think that 3 tech guys with quickness have the big play potential to get GM's to write big checks and then they don't tend to be the next Aaron Donald.

I'm not against Liuget coming back, but he has never developed into the consistent force. He has had some decent production at times. He played pretty well when back this season. Not included in his stats where some pressures and forced holding calls. The real problem, besides the inconsistent production, is he has played through some injuries in the last few years, which either cause him to miss time, or not be productive. Not many 30-year-olds who have used steroids overcome that and get healthier.
                    Last edited by Steve; 02-17-2019, 10:30 PM.

Comment

• beachcomber
                      & ramblin' man
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

Steve.... great post.... great insights/commentary and thank you for naming names, and....

wondering what your thoughts are @DT in the draft ?? do you like Simmons over Dex, and what are your thoughts on Dre'Mont Jones as a potential Charger ??

and what's your sense re: Lawrence early or waiting on Daylon Mack/Greg Gaines round three ??

personally have Tillery, Willis, and Rashan Gary off my board, along w/guys like Renell Wren, Beckner, Marquise Copeland, Omenihu and Keke.... (Ricky Walker, etc.)

and if we were to sign either of Shelton or Dareus in FA, does that affect your vantage point/strategems ??
                      RT Taliese Fuaga, DT Jer'Zhan Newton, NT T'Vondre Sweat, LB Cedric Gray, TE Ben Sinnott, RB Daijun Edwards, FS Cole Bishop, QB Joe Milton

Comment

STEVE!

Comment

• Darth Sergious
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Great to see Steve posting around here. Please merge with the "Steve appreciation tread".

Comment

Working...
                          X