• Show
Clear All
  • Fleet
    TPB Founder
    • Jun 2013
    • Cardiff - Poipu
    • Send PM

Telesco and Lynn Combine PC

Major Takeaways from Tom Telesco and Anthony Lynn's Combine Press Conference

General Manager Tom Telesco and Head Coach Anthony Lynn held court for 30 minutes Thursday morning, answering a wide array of questions about the Bolts.

The duo revealed ton of important insight into the state of the team entering the 2019 league year, including some major decisions they need to make on the horizon.

Here are some highlights from what they had to say:

Bolts Have Met with Verrett

Gates Return Still Up in the Air

The future Hall of Famer made no bones about his intentions to play in 2019 immediately following the Bolts playoff loss to the Patriots. Moreover, he stressed his desire to return to the Chargers for his 17th season. Nobody wants a replay of what happened last year when a decision wasnt made until late in the offseason, so Telesco and Lynn said theyre working on getting a resolution sooner rather than later:

The Latest on Lamp

Forrest Lamp was drafted to be a fixture on the offensive line for years to come. Unfortunately, his career hasnt been able to get off the ground yet. Lamp missed his entire rookie year with a knee injury suffered in training camp, and then wasnt able to get much playing time in 2018 as the offensive line was gelling as a five-man unit. However, while his first two years have not gone as anticipated, Lynn made it clear the Bolts still see Lamp as a big part of their future. But, hell still have to earn it.

Extensions Forthcoming?

Telesco teased during his state of the team address in January that the Bolts may look into extending several players under contract, similar to what they did a year ago with Casey Hayward. That includes Pro Bowl running back Melvin Gordon, who enters the final year of his contract in 2019. The GM was asked where things stand regarding possible extensions and offered the following insight.

Bosa Brothers

Nick Bosa may very well be the first player selected in the 2019 NFL Draft. So, it was only not a matter of if, but rather when Telesco and Lynn would be asked to compare him to his brother, Joey. Both men admitted they havent watched enough tape of Nick yet to truly compare, they did offer some brief thoughts.

The Real Mike Williams

After an injury-plagued rookie year, Mike Williams broke through in a major way in 2018. His 11 total touchdowns were the fourth most by an NFL wideout, and he authored a performance for the ages against the Kansas City Chiefs which earned him AFC Offensive Player of the Week honors. He dominated the division rivals in Week 15, hauling in a career-high seven catches for 76 yards and two touchdowns plus a TD run and game-winning two-point conversion. Overall, he caught 43 passes for 664 yards in addition to his 10 receiving TDs. So, what did Telesco think of the young wideouts growth?

High Hopes for White

The Chargers found a gem in Kyzir White last year, drafting the safety in the fourth round with the intent to play him at linebacker. Well, he went off in the offseason and training camp, earning the starting weakside linebacker spot. Unfortunately, White appeared in only three games before being shut down for the season with a knee injury. Well, its clear the team has high hopes for him as he returns from a knee injury in 2019:

• Jagged
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Omaha, Nebraska
    • Send PM

Comment

• Fleet
      TPB Founder
      • Jun 2013
      • Cardiff - Poipu
      • Send PM

Well if healthy....he may be able to tail Tyreek. I guess it depends on the cost. But my God he is glass.

Comment

• Panamamike
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post
        Well if healthy....he may be able to tail Tyreek. I guess it depends on the cost. But my God he is glass.
        Will he still have that same speed and quick change of direction? Without it he is not the same player.

Comment

• Topcat
          AKA "Pollcat"
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

If they want to keep Gordon, he'll be looking for a big payday...not sure it's worth it...

Comment

• Panamamike
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
            If they want to keep Gordon, he'll be looking for a big payday...not sure it's worth it...
            yeah, hard to,pay that k8nd of cake to that position without a QB on a rookie deal. RB is the esiest position to fill in the NFL...if you have a good line.

Comment

• Bolt-O
              Administrator
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

The problem isn't whether if he's worth it, it is that the running game sorely missed him after he got hurt. Yes, there might be a decent mid round replacement out there from some G5 school, but the Chargers brain trust tend to go with players they know (either home grown, or players they coached from former teams. I don't blame Gordon for trying to get his payday, he deserves one. but the RB position is fungible.

Comment

• like54ninjas
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Oct 2017
                • Great White North
                • Draftnik
                • Send PM

Banged up every year, RBs lifespans aren't long, and the fact I think this draft is fairly deep with quality prospects.
                I do not extend him yet. Let's draft a RB, ride out this season, and evaluate next year. We have quite a few other players coming up on contracts as well.
                My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
                K9
                Nasir
                Tillery
                Parham
                Reed

Comment

• beachcomber
                  & ramblin' man
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

http://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/combine-team-pressers--los-angeles-chargers-takeaways

this guy claims that TT was adamant 'bout Verrett being in play for the Chargers, and even tho he will prolly field offers via FA ??

says Nwosu @SAM and White @WIL are pretty much locks, and.... (there are reports out there that say the team would like to resign Denzel).

re: QB.... said the Chargers had a few names they liked early, and.... not sure why he mentioned Rypien, Finley and Thorsen ??

reading between the lines, half suggested that Lamp might supplant Feeney ??
                  RT Taliese Fuaga, DT Jer'Zhan Newton, NT T'Vondre Sweat, LB Cedric Gray, TE Ben Sinnott, RB Daijun Edwards, FS Cole Bishop, QB Joe Milton

Comment

• Chargerfreak
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Sep 2018
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

Banged up every year, RBs lifespans aren't long, and the fact I think this draft is fairly deep with quality prospects.
                    I do not extend him yet. Let's draft a RB, ride out this season, and evaluate next year. We have quite a few other players coming up on contracts as well.
                    TT takes care of guys that stay out of trouble. He always picks them up. Gordon will get paid.

Comment

• SDFan
                      Woober Goober
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Dolores, CO
                      • Retired
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post
                      similar to the guy he replaced- Ryan Mathews?
                      Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• Midwestbolt
                        • Feb 2019
                        • Midwest
                        • Local 150 operating engineer.
                        • Send PM

Verrett on a favorable deal is fine. That's a 50/50 deal. Maybe he comes back maybe not, but if so - he's a great cb and can play man up. Just don't want to gamble too much.

Gates idk. I like gates and he came thru better in the clutch than our no 1 TE last season, but that's not saying much. At least he can catch the ball. 22, flex out HH and gates could still be scarry.

I love me some MG but not sure on the extension. Business is business. Above average RB. Let this one play out.

Comment

Working...
                        X