• Show
Clear All
  • Steve
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • South Carolina
    • Meteorologist
    • Send PM

Gates was not really #1 TE last year. He split time at TE. This year he can be the receiving TE, although Henry will be a true #1.

One of the problems with our secondary is we don't play man so well. Part of that is due to Hayward. he is a much better zone or man off coverage guy, and to be a shutdown D you need to disrupt receivers with press coverage (man or zone). But Hayward isn't going anywhere, and it remains to be seen if Davis and Williams can both step up and be #2 CB.

MG is a an almost top tier RB, the only catch is what does that mean. In my book he is because he is an outstanding receiver, good RB. GIven how bad the OL has been, we need to keep upgrading the line and get him and Eckler more into the O. Both are good backs and now we have enough depth to continue to feature the running game, if the blocking is up to it. This season will be interesting because Le'veon Bell will be setting the price for the RB position. However, there is still a lot pointing to not paying RB top dollar. And even if MG can get top dollard from someone, will he get it from the Chargers? Only time will tell.

Comment

• Electric Chicken
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
      If they want to keep Gordon, he'll be looking for a big payday...not sure it's worth it...
      Agreed

Comment

• UglyTruth
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Oct 2018
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Midwestbolt View Post
        Verrett on a favorable deal is fine. That's a 50/50 deal. Maybe he comes back maybe not, but if so - he's a great cb and can play man up. Just don't want to gamble too much.

Gates idk. I like gates and he came thru better in the clutch than our no 1 TE last season, but that's not saying much. At least he can catch the ball. 22, flex out HH and gates could still be scarry.

I love me some MG but not sure on the extension. Business is business. Above average RB. Let this one play out.

Gordon is better than an "above average RB", come on now.

That said, if he wants top 5 RB money or something then we can just roll with Ekeler and some mid round rookie from the draft.
        Tom Telesco’s Results in 9 years as Chargers GM:

- 69-74 record
        - 0 division titles in 9 yrs as GM
        - Worst record among all active GMs with same tenure
        - 6th worst winning percentage among all active GMs overall
        - 2 playoff wins despite elite QB all 9 yrs
        - Team still has the same weaknesses (Oline and run defense) that it had when hired as GM in 2013
        - Consistently puts together horrible depth, expects starters to never miss games

Comment

• Midwestbolt
          • Feb 2019
          • Midwest
          • Local 150 operating engineer.
          • Send PM

Originally posted by UglyTruth View Post

Gordon is better than an "above average RB", come on now.

That said, if he wants top 5 RB money or something then we can just roll with Ekeler and some mid round rookie from the draft.
          Ok - well above average then If above average for a starting RB is top 15, he's in the top 15, maybe right at 10 I'd say.

Gordon is a good back. I like him - The big picture has shown he gets dinged up - which is an issue. I feel durability keeps him from the big extension.

I'm thinking there's too many other important pieces to get in place first. I see RB down on the priority list a little bit.

Comment

• Panamamike
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Have to be honest. Like Gordon III a lot. But I would grind guys up like hamburger in rookie deals at RB. Career too short and injjury factor is too high to invest a crap load of cake in one guy. Great lines make good backs look great.

Fwiw....I think Rams will have huge buyers remorse on Gurley extension for durability concerns.

Comment

• like54ninjas
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Oct 2017
              • Great White North
              • Draftnik
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Panamamike View Post
              Have to be honest. Like Gordon III a lot. But I would grind guys up like hamburger in rookie deals at RB. Career too short and injjury factor is too high to invest a crap load of cake in one guy. Great lines make good backs look great.

Fwiw....I think Rams will have huge buyers remorse on Gurley extension for durability concerns.
              I have the same strategy in regards to RB.
              There are always quality/starting caliber RBs throughout the draft.
              My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
              K9
              Nasir
              Tillery
              Parham
              Reed

Comment

• Fleet
                TPB Founder
                • Jun 2013
                • Cardiff - Poipu
                • Send PM

Pundits Heap Praise on Anthony Lynn
                by Ricky Henne

There's no better place to find out the pulse of the league than at the NFL Scouting Combine.

With Indianapolis annually serving as the nexus of the football universe just before the start of the new league year, anyone who's anyone sets up shop in the Circle City.

And when you mention the Los Angeles Chargers to them, there's one name in particular they're quick to praise right off the bat.

Anthony Lynn.

Entering his third season, the Bolts' head coach earns rave reviews for his leadership, and no-nonsense approach to the game.

As they put it, the Chargers have taken on his identity through and through.

"Identity is a good word for it because (the team) is just like him," said NFL Insider Ian Rapoport. "He's a hardened guy. He believes what he believes. He's very tough-minded. He is not shy. So he'll just tell you what he thinks, and it leads to a very realistic view of yourself. For players, it's here is what I need to improve on and here's where I need to get better."

Rapoport was far from alone in that praise.

"Anthony Lynn is what we call a CEO head coach," said SiriusXM's Adam Caplan. "I've used examples like a Tom Coughlin. He's not specifically calling plays. He's not running a position day-to-day. He can oversee what he wants; he's the head coach. But he manages his coaches and his roster just as well as anyone else in the National Football League."

"Anthony keeps it real," added fellow SiriusXM host Alex Marvez. "That's the thing. He's just straight up, and players respect that. He's a former player himself, and I actually covered Anthony back when he played for the Denver Broncos in the two Super Bowl seasons that they had. So there's that respect, and I think he makes good game management decisions, as well. He's surrounded himself, too, with great coordinators."

​​​​​​Those three quotes are just a few of a litany that emanated out of Indy over the past week.

So, how does Lynn feel about the universal praise?

Pretty much exactly how you'd think.

"I know that when you're building a team, it's way bigger than one person," the head coach said. "It's an organization. And that's where it starts. With our leadership. Our management. Our entire coaching staff. The players that we bring on this team, they've bought in and have taken ownership of this program. So, it's way bigger than one person. Always has been, always will be."

Comment

• like54ninjas
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Oct 2017
                  • Great White North
                  • Draftnik
                  • Send PM

Well deserved praise for AL.
                  My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
                  K9
                  Nasir
                  Tillery
                  Parham
                  Reed

Comment

• UglyTruth
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Oct 2018
                    • Send PM

Lynn is good but he needs to get rid of Whisenhunt and bring in someone not so conservative as the OC.

Even the times we were aggressive this past season, it was Lynn essentially overruling Whisenhunt.
                    Tom Telesco’s Results in 9 years as Chargers GM:

- 69-74 record
                    - 0 division titles in 9 yrs as GM
                    - Worst record among all active GMs with same tenure
                    - 6th worst winning percentage among all active GMs overall
                    - 2 playoff wins despite elite QB all 9 yrs
                    - Team still has the same weaknesses (Oline and run defense) that it had when hired as GM in 2013
                    - Consistently puts together horrible depth, expects starters to never miss games

Comment

• Steve
                      Administrator
                      • Jun 2013
                      • South Carolina
                      • Meteorologist
                      • Send PM

I think the conservatism comes from the poor execution on the OL. If you can't block it, you can't call it.

Comment

Working...
                      X