• Show
Clear All
  • Maniaque 6
    French Speaking Charger Fan
    • Jan 2019
    • Québec city
    • Send PM

The front 7

What the front 7 of the Chargers gonna look like next year?

Bosa- Mebane- FA or 1st choice or Philon- Ingram
    White- Perryman- Brown

The 3 LBs above have started only a total of 19 out of 48 games last year!
    I would like to see them a little more.
  • chris9341
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jul 2013
    • Send PM

I would say Bosa and ingram as your ends and Philon and our first round pick as the two defensive tackles. As far as the linebackers I would say Nwosu starts at rolb and White starts at LOLB. Middle linebacker my guess is Perryman gets resigned and is the starter but would not be surprised if we draft a replacement or sign a mlb i free agency.

Comment

• Steve
      Administrator
      • Jun 2013
      • South Carolina
      • Meteorologist
      • Send PM

As of now
      SDE - Bosa/Rochelle/Lanier
      3tech - Jones/Lanier
      NT - ?????
      LEO-Ingram

OTTO - Nwosu
      Mike- ?????
      Will - White/Brown/Phillips

It will be interesting to see what they do with Lanier since he played an outside DE in college, but was used as a DT by the Redskins. Given the amount of weight he has gained in Washington, I don't think he is going to be a DE as much anymore, or if he does mostly on run downs.

For new posters, the tradition is that for teams like us, who flip flop the LB, you use LOLB for the SAM/OTTO/Strongside spot that plays over the TE, and ROLB for the Will LB spot that lines up on the open side of the formation. The offensive strength (TE side) is usually to the offensive right, which is the defensive left side. So last year it was Bosa and Emmanuel to the left, Ingram and White or Brown to the right. It is more precise to call it strong and weak since that is how we actually play it.

Given his size they are probably not going to ask White to line up over and control the TE, although when they flex the TE out of the inline alignment, then they may want someone like White or Brown to align wide to cover a flexed TE or big slot receiver or RB in the slot.

Comment

• Steve
        Administrator
        • Jun 2013
        • South Carolina
        • Meteorologist
        • Send PM

As of now, the 4 positions in the front 7 are problematic.

MLB, NT - we simply do not have anyone on the roster. Technically we have Pullard and Dzubnar, but they are really just ST guys.

LEO (rush LB/rush DE) -Ingram is a great starter, but we have no depth. Sure the SDE Bosa, Rochelle and Lanier can play LEO in a pinch, and Nwosu plays LEO as a situational rusher. We need to try to draft and develop guys, so a middle or late round pick, or bargain (vet minimum) contract wouldn't be out of place.

OTTO (drop LB) - The strongside LB spot is somewhat interchangable with the LEO in the Bradley flavor of the 43/34 D we play. But since you need 2- 1 LEO and 1 OTTO, I don't consider Nwosu real depth. I do think he will enter camp and win the starting job at OTTO, and continue to get additional snaps as a second LEO rushing the QB when we move Bosa and/or Ingram around. Like LEO, we don't need to spend a top draft pick or big money FA, but we need to do something to stash a developmental guy who can add depth at one or both OLB/rush LB spots. That is especially true since in the modern NFL, the OTTO spot is a sitautional position, not a full time player.

Comment

• Boltjolt
          Dont let the PBs fool ya
          • Jun 2013
          • Henderson, NV
          • Send PM

Not sure how I feel about them wanting to resign Mebane. With limited cap space, hope it isn't for much if they do.
          11 Brock Bowers TE - Georgia
          35 Kris Jenkins DT - Michigan
          37 Cooper Beebe OG -Kansas st
          66 Mike Sainristil CB - Michigan
          69 Jaylen Wright RB - Tenn or Blake Corum - Michigan
          100 Brenden Rice WR - USC (trade ⬆️w/ Wash for 2025 5th)
          110 Cedric Gray LB - N. Carolina
          140 Hunter Nourzad OC -Penn st
          181 Cedrick Johnson Edge - Mississippi
          225 Josh Procter S-Ohio st ➡️ 253 Dwight McGlothern CB -Ar​

Comment

• Steve
            Administrator
            • Jun 2013
            • South Carolina
            • Meteorologist
            • Send PM

It hasn't happened yet.

One thing that often happens is player find out what the team is willing to pay, then gives up on the idea. I could easily see them moving Justin Jones to play NT, and him playing a fair amount of it. Is Mebane going to want o come back at a reduced salary and reduced playing time?

Plus, after the season he had last year, who says his heart is really in playing anymore. I wouldn't blame him if he was going to move on.

If I were the Chargers, hire him to tutor Jones and/or any other rookie NT types. I love the fact that Mebane plays the old "tilt" NT position. IT allows smaller, quicker players like Mebane to be 2 gap NT by reading and reacting. But it is complicated technique to play, so having someone like Mebane around to help instruct the finer point would make sense. Plus he is a pro's pro, and having him around to work with younger players just makes sense to me.

Giff Smith is one of the best DL coaches in football, so some of it would be to work out the details, but I think using Mebane as sort of an extra DL coach, or specialized tutor for younger players would be a great way for him to stay involved and yet get him off the field for younger, more talented players.

Comment

• blueman
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Totally get why he would want to play again after what happened last season, hope they can make a deal.

Comment

• Maniaque 6
                French Speaking Charger Fan
                • Jan 2019
                • Québec city
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                As of now
                SDE - Bosa/Rochelle/Lanier
                3tech - Jones/Lanier
                NT - ?????
                LEO-Ingram

OTTO - Nwosu
                Mike- ?????
                Will - White/Brown/Phillips

It will be interesting to see what they do with Lanier since he played an outside DE in college, but was used as a DT by the Redskins. Given the amount of weight he has gained in Washington, I don't think he is going to be a DE as much anymore, or if he does mostly on run downs.

For new posters, the tradition is that for teams like us, who flip flop the LB, you use LOLB for the SAM/OTTO/Strongside spot that plays over the TE, and ROLB for the Will LB spot that lines up on the open side of the formation. The offensive strength (TE side) is usually to the offensive right, which is the defensive left side. So last year it was Bosa and Emmanuel to the left, Ingram and White or Brown to the right. It is more precise to call it strong and weak since that is how we actually play it.

Given his size they are probably not going to ask White to line up over and control the TE, although when they flex the TE out of the inline alignment, then they may want someone like White or Brown to align wide to cover a flexed TE or big slot receiver or RB in the slot.
                Lanier was 286 at the beginning of last year. Where is he now? I don't see him at DT at 286.
                Where is Perryman in the equation? Do you resign him?
                TT said last week that K. White is not only a Will...
                I like the idea to test JJ at DT with Philon and Square.

Comment

• MasterOfPuppets
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • May 2017
                  • Tijuana
                  • Send PM

DL : J. Bosa - J. Jones - D. Lawrence - M. Ingram
                  LB : U. Nwosu - C.J: Mosley - K. White

Comment

• Boltjolt
                    Dont let the PBs fool ya
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Henderson, NV
                    • Send PM

Not a fan of Lawrence. Especially in the first. Don't think he is going to have an impact.
                    Last edited by Boltjolt; 03-04-2019, 04:12 PM.
                    11 Brock Bowers TE - Georgia
                    35 Kris Jenkins DT - Michigan
                    37 Cooper Beebe OG -Kansas st
                    66 Mike Sainristil CB - Michigan
                    69 Jaylen Wright RB - Tenn or Blake Corum - Michigan
                    100 Brenden Rice WR - USC (trade ⬆️w/ Wash for 2025 5th)
                    110 Cedric Gray LB - N. Carolina
                    140 Hunter Nourzad OC -Penn st
                    181 Cedrick Johnson Edge - Mississippi
                    225 Josh Procter S-Ohio st ➡️ 253 Dwight McGlothern CB -Ar​

Comment

• like54ninjas
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Oct 2017
                      • Great White North
                      • Draftnik
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
                      Not a fan of Lawrence. Especially in the first. Don't think he is going to have an impact.
                      I concur.
                      My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
                      K9
                      Nasir
                      Tillery
                      Parham
                      Reed

Comment

• blueman
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013