• Show
Clear All
  • captaind
    Cook This Pork Chops
    • Jun 2013
    • Mars
    • Ball Holder
    • Send PM

Chargers & Chiefs will be competing for the AFC West for the foreseeable future.

Comment

• Topcat
      AKA "Pollcat"
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by oneinchpunch View Post
      PFT:

Soon-to-be Raiders receiver Antonio Brownwas due to earn zero dollar and zero cents of guaranteed money over the next three years. Instead, he'll get $30 million, fully guaranteed.

Per a source with knowledge of the terms of the looming contract restructuring, the Raiders will guarantee $30 million of Brown's looming payout. Also, the total amount he was due to earn through 2021 will increase from $38.925 million to $50.125 million.

There are multiple ways to assess the new deal. Brown will make $16.7 million per year in hard dollars over the next three seasons. But when the $11.2 million is added to the $68 million in new money that Brown received two years ago from the Steelers, the new-money average on the entire deal spikes from $17 million to $19.8 million.

Brown also can trigger $4 million in incentives, that would be paid in 2020 and 2021. If earned, he'll receive an extra $15.2 million over the next three years, and the new-money average of the deal he signed with Pittsburgh in 2017 will be $20.8 million.

Regardless of how the cat is skinned, Brown had made $33.79 million over the last two years and he was due to make $38.925 million, with no guarantees. That number has now gone up by $11.2 million, with $30 million of the $50.125 million he'll make over the next three seasons now fully guaranteed.

It's not a bad outcome for a guy who was tied to the Steelers for three more seasons, and who presumably had no leverage to either demand a trade or finagle a new deal.
      Wow, just...wow. Imagine, AB controls his diva self until he pockets the lion's share of those big bucks, then re-starts his diva schtick. Gruden reacts, Brown starts his sulking and Twitter rampage, and voila! Brown pulls a Gaither or a Khalil Mack and sits out...DING...DING...DING...it's Antonio vs. Chuckie, ROUND ONE!!!

Comment

• Boltjolt
        Dont let the PBs fool ya
        • Jun 2013
        • Henderson, NV
        • Send PM

30 million guaranteed the.next three years, no reason NOT to be a demanding pain in the ass diva.

Comment

• richpjr
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Nashville
          • Send PM

Not quite as optimistic that this will blow up in the Raiders face as some seem to be. We know the potential baggage he brings and that it COULD be a distraction. But he is also one of the best receivers in the game and they did not give up much in the way of draft picks to get him.

Comment

• Topcat
            AKA "Pollcat"
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

Let the Chuckie vs. AB Diva Circus begin...

image.png

Comment

• Boltjolt
              Dont let the PBs fool ya
              • Jun 2013
              • Henderson, NV
              • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
              Not quite as optimistic that this will blow up in the Raiders face as some seem to be. We know the potential baggage he brings and that it COULD be a distraction. But he is also one of the best receivers in the game and they did not give up much in the way of draft picks to get him.
              He will be his usual good self but i aint scared that they have AB. Pitt had him too with Smith-Shuster and we still won. Raiders have many other issues. Like the other poster said, all they need is everything else. They stink on defense, at RB, need more WRs,DL, pass rushers. They will get a some of that if they dont screw it up in the first round.

Comment

• jamrock
                lawyers, guns and money
                • Sep 2017
                • Send PM

Raiders got a steal. No two ways about it

Comment

• Steve
                  Administrator
                  • Jun 2013
                  • South Carolina
                  • Meteorologist
                  • Send PM

Wait a few weeks, till he gets frustrated and is not getting the ball very much, and they are losing. He will call out everyone in sight, from the coach, to GM to his teammates. THen how popular will he be.

I love how everyone keeps pointing to the fact that he has no guaranteed money left at the end of his deal? MOST players don't have any guaranteed money at the end of the deal. The whole point of giving bonuses in the salary cap is to be able to defer the costs over multiple years, lowering the cap figures. If you guarantee the whole contract, you get the whole Kirk Cousins or Alex Smith disasters. As it is Pitt is going to have over $20 million in dead space for AB.

Comment

• captaind
                    Cook This Pork Chops
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Mars
                    • Ball Holder
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

Raiders got a steal. No two ways about it

Baggage has a financial cost. So when you throw that into the calculation, not so much.

Comment

Is Antonio Brown worth a 3rd and 5th round pick plus the pay day he received? Of course he is. I would be lying if I said otherwise. However, he is a diva and his addition alone will not make them a title contender. For this move to pay dividends they are going to need to hit home runs in free agency and the draft otherwise all they will have is a receiver padding his stats but not helping add to the win count. And if the Raiders don't fix their OL and Carr continues to have to throw check downs, AB's addition is going to be a moot point.

The important factor for the Raiders here is that they kept their first round picks and their second round pick. Potentially they could come away from the draft with up to four new starting caliber players, or they could package up a first and a second to move up in the first (etc) if they fall in love with someone that will be off the board before they draft later in the round. So they have a good bunch of picks to work with, and that's before considering their day three picks (1 fourth, 1 sixth, and 2 seventh round picks) which could see them pick up some useful depth chart players.

They also still have a good amount of cap space left to go after free agents. The big question will be whether they can add the right ones. I wouldn't be surprised for one minute to see them go after Le'Veon Bell and add him to the mix. That would instantly solve their running back problem but again it would be adding another diva like player and the price tag could be fairly steep. However, a Bell and AB combination for the Raiders could be productive in the right circumstances. They could target other play makers like CJ Mosley to help their linebacker problem, or Trey Flowers to help them at EDGE. Whoever they go for, they have to make sure they add the right players at the right price.

For me, this deal is easily worth it on face value. Again I'd be lying if I said otherwise. But I am glad that the Chargers didn't bring him on board because he's the type of personality that I just couldn't stomach in our uniform. Obviously I'd take his receiving ability because he is one of the top play makers in the league, but his personality makes it hard to root for him and that's why I prefer our group of players because by in large they are high character people who make it easy to root for them.

Comment

• Steve
                        Administrator
                        • Jun 2013
                        • South Carolina
                        • Meteorologist
                        • Send PM

They did have to make a move like this. After trading away Mack and Cooper, they pretty much had to make a move like this. Otherwise, the fan base and locker rooms will both go into full-scale revolt. Gruden had to prove to them he was doing something to win now.

If I was going to pay a player close to $20 million a year, it would have been Mack though.

Comment

• Topcat
                          AKA "Pollcat"
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                          They did have to make a move like this. After trading away Mack and Cooper, they pretty much had to make a move like this. Otherwise, the fan base and locker rooms will both go into full-scale revolt. Gruden had to prove to them he was doing something to win now.

If I was going to pay a player close to $20 million a year, it would have been Mack though.
                          Actually Steve, now that Mr. Diva is in the house, the locker room, sooner or later, WILL go into a full-scale revolt...and as Martha Stewart said, "it's a good thing..." (for us!)

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡
                          👍