• Show
Clear All
  • SYB
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Mar 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
    Welcome Takeo Spikes 2.0
    Except that he isn't allergic to the playoffs.

Comment

• Sgt Schultz
      Bandwagon since 8/6/1960
      • Jun 2013
      • Palm Springs
      • I know nothing
      • Send PM

https://theathletic.com/779014/2019/...his-offseason/
      "Veteran linebacker Thomas Davis, who will become a free agent after 14 seasons with the Panthers, would not necessarily have been a great fit in the 3-4 at this stage of his career."

So I guess he's a SAM not an OTTO, which makes him a WILL??????
      Last edited by Sgt Schultz; 03-12-2019, 03:17 PM.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
        Smooth Operation
        • May 2017
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Correct, Davis has never played MLB in Carolina and was a safety in college.
        I am against the concept of strict depth charts.
        Especially in the LB/DB corp.
        NFL defenses are trending lighter and faster.
        Anything but OTTO.in a 4-3 Under look.

We play modern defense.

We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Xenos
          • Feb 2019
          • Send PM

An article on Thomas Davis:

The​ Chargers delivered some NFL magic in​ 2018. While other​ teams dazzled with offseason​ signings​ and​ trades,​ they​ kept​ quiet,​ then pulled​​ some sleight of hand and finished 12-4 with a playoff victory.

It's that time of year again when fans clamor for splashy moves and big spending. But the Chargers' model of consistency and development seemed to work fine last year, so perhaps look for a repeat. There are holes to fill, particularly on defense, but it seems the Chargers intend to work smart.

The NFL's "legal tampering" period continued Tuesday, and big names around the league have made handshake agreements with new teams and agreed to contracts that can be signed Wednesday. Yes, Chargers general manager Tom Telesco is awake, and he made his first move Tuesday morning when the Chargers reportedly agreed to terms with veteran outside linebacker Thomas Davis.

The Chargers need a free safety and a couple defensive linemen, first and foremost. They have approximately $26 million in salary-cap room to fill all of their offseason holes. That's a good amount, but the Chargers also have several needs on defense, and they can't afford to be reckless because of the number of high-impact pending unrestricted free agents they potentially have in 2020 and 2021.

"Anybody that has watched us build our team over the last couple of years," Telesco said at the end of the season, "I think you can see that we like to draft, develop and re-sign our own, and then be very selective in free agency. ... We like to retain our own. I think we have a good core here."

Homegrown safety Derwin James needs a partner to play the center-field spot in the Cover 3 scheme. The Chargers recently released Jahleel Addae, and safety-turned-linebacker Adrian Phillips is set to hit the market. The Chargers could look internally at Jaylen Watkins, but he's recovering from a torn ACL. Rayshawn Jenkins has started only one game in two seasons.

So how about those free agents? The options are not great.

Earl Thomas has been linked to the Chargers in recent days, not only due to need but because Thomas and Chargers defensive coordinator Gus Bradley worked together in Seattle. That makes sense, but Thomas' asking price seemingly is getting higher by the hour. And most of the top safeties on the free-agent market have already landed huge deals. Landon Collins got six years and $84 million from Washington. Tyrann Mathieu got three years and $42 million from Kansas City. Adrian Amos (Green Bay), Lamarcus Joyner (Oakland) and Kareem Jackson (Denver) all are set to sign this week.

Another potential Chargers target went off the board on Tuesday, when free safety Tashaun Gipson reportedly agreed to terms with Houston. That leaves a pretty good market for a free agent such as Ha Ha Clinton-Dix and, of course, Thomas.

Thomas turns 30 in May and is coming off a broken leg, but given the market for safeties and his history as a three-time All-Pro selection, some GM is going to give Thomas the big bucks he desires -- perhaps as much as $14 million per year -- and it probably shouldn't be Telesco.

The Chargers can't afford to go all-in on a safety, literally, because they're going to have to spread around some money in other places on defense. The offense seems fairly set, although receiver Tyrell Williams is set to hit the market. Also, the Chargers should look for some potential upgrades on the offensive line or at least build some depth.

Across the board on defense, though, questions remain. The Chargers likely answered one Tuesday when they signed Davis, perhaps as a replacement at outside linebacker for free agent Kyle Emanuel.

Davis clearly is not a long-term solution. He turns 36 this month, but he has held up well, making Pro Bowl appearances in 2015, 2016 and 2017 while with Carolina. Davis failed to record a sack in 12 games last season, but he still should be a contributor. And as a former NFL Walter Payton Man of the Year award winner, he should bring locker-room leadership.

Davis' signing followed the retention of middle linebacker Denzel Perryman, who re-upped this month for two years and a reported total of $12 million. So, with two low-key moves, the Chargers solidified themselves at linebacker, a position of concern at the end of last season.

The Chargers' first-round draft pick -- No. 28 overall -- remains an option to address the defense. A linebacker in that spot seemed most likely a couple weeks ago, but with the signings of Perryman and Davis, the Chargers might now look to the interior of their defensive line.

Cornerback is another area of attention, particularly if the Chargers lose Jason Verrett to free agency, but other than safety, the team's biggest issue is finding some big bodies up front to pair with two talented ends, veteran Melvin Ingram and 23-year-old Joey Bosa.

Veteran nose tackle Brandon Mebane can leave via free agency, and the Chargers decided last month not to pick up the 2019 option on tackle Corey Liuget's contract. Moreover, Darius Philon and Damion Square, two depth players along the defensive front, are free agents, too.

Major turnover along that defensive front seems possible, and while the draft is full of intriguing options at tackle, the Chargers likely will want a veteran as well. It's not absurd to think that they will take a long look at Ndamukong Suh, who seems set to leave the Rams after one season.

Suh, who lives in the Portland area, reportedly wants to stay on the West Coast and seemed to enjoy his time in Los Angeles. Also, Suh spoke about his respect for Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers, whose situation is not imperative this season but remains worthy of watching.

Rivers' contract is set to expire after next season -- as is running back Melvin Gordon's rookie deal -- so at some point in this calendar year, the Chargers must make a decision about Rivers, who turns 38 in December.

How does that impact this season? Geno Smith, Rivers' backup last year, is set to become an unrestricted free agent. Is it time for the Chargers to draft Rivers' eventual replacement? Or do they simply look for a backup for the next couple years? That's one of the longer-view questions Telesco faces this month, along with a handful of short-term decisions on defense.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
            Smooth Operation
            • May 2017
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post
            Excellent article, Xenos.
            I now think Philon might be gone.
            1Tech & 3Tech are on my PON list.

Thanks for the vine.
            We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Scott Green
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Mar 2019
              • Send PM

So does this end the Hayes Pullard era of Chargers football? A golden age our grandchildren will never know of

Comment

• blueman
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Scott Green View Post
                So does this end the Hayes Pullard era of Chargers football? A golden age our grandchildren will never know of
                Love the guy, but thank you Jesus!

Comment

• like54ninjas
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Oct 2017
                  • Great White North
                  • Draftnik
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by SYB View Post

The irony is strong in this one.
                  Ain't it though.
                  Strong is a strong word.
                  My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
                  K9
                  Nasir
                  Tillery
                  Parham
                  Reed

Comment

• blueman
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Also hoping somehow Emanuel is gone, he cannot get through traffic with Jimi Hendrix driving.

Comment

• Lone Bolt
                      Brock Bowers N.M.W.
                      • Feb 2019
                      • McLean Illinois
                      • Pipefitter Illinois State University
                      • Send PM

Solid signing....me happy.

Geez....it's getting crazy out there...I don't know if I can get behind a blockbuster deal...front office is doing just fine...but if it happens, so be it. Mixed feelings about Suh...have no problem with Thomas, I think as far as big money signings, he would be as safe a bet as you could get...if his play falls off, he would still be an upgrade performance wise, nevermind the experience and leadership he would bring to the secondary and our star in the making James. The RT from Carolina...Daryl Williams? Wouldn't mind shelling out a little green for him....

But honestly...I could be cool with conservative signings, and bringing back some old favs (Verret, Liuget, etc,) at good prices...then hitting good on that draft!
                      The TPB makes plans....

And Jim Harbaugh laughs...

Comment

• Lone Bolt
                        Brock Bowers N.M.W.
                        • Feb 2019
                        • McLean Illinois
                        • Pipefitter Illinois State University
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
                        Also hoping somehow Emanuel is gone, he cannot get through traffic with Jimi Hendrix driving.
                        I absolutely disagree with this...he is a decent football player, who played pretty good at times, and at multiple positions...and who provides quality depth, and I would guess is a hard working team guy...love to have him on the Chargers...just not as a full time starter.
                        The TPB makes plans....

And Jim Harbaugh laughs...

Comment

• Xenos
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post

I absolutely disagree with this...he is a decent football player, who played pretty good at times, and at multiple positions...and who provides quality depth, and I would guess is a hard working team guy...love to have him on the Chargers...just not as a full time starter.
                          Agree. He's a lunchpail guy who does what is asked of him. Good depth but not a starter. Strangely enough, I feel like he's going to NE for some reason.

Comment

Working...
                          X