• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Xenos
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by UtahBolt View Post
    Crazy, not happy being a # 2 and then goes and signs to be a # 2 with a superior # 1 but an inferior qb. Good choice, Tyrell, good choice. Now go drop some key passes for the Duhs.
    With MW taking over the last half of the year, TW was going to be a #3 in our system.

Comment

• Bolt-O
      Administrator
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

I won't begrudge a player from getting his maximum value playing football. He played well for the Chargers and was never a problem, but there was no way to keep him. But now, won't care how he does, unless its against the Chargers, or he helps in beating a team we need to lose to improve the Chargers chances in the post season.

Comment

• 21&500
        Bolt Spit-Baller
        • Sep 2018
        • A Whale's Vajayjay
        • CMB refugee
        • Send PM

Fine by me
        I'll have more fun rooting against him than for him
        Gimmie Bower Power!!

Comment

• beachcomber
          & ramblin' man
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

TW >> MW

:couch:
          RT Taliese Fuaga, DT Jer'Zhan Newton, NT T'Vondre Sweat, LB Cedric Gray, TE Ben Sinnott, RB Daijun Edwards, FS Cole Bishop, QB Joe Milton

Comment

• like54ninjas
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Oct 2017
            • Great White North
            • Draftnik
            • Send PM

Oh not this again. Lol
            My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
            K9
            Nasir
            Tillery
            Parham
            Reed

Comment

TW was a good player for us. A lot of undrafted players never make it but TW made it with us and gave us some good years. He's earned his pay day. The simple fact of the matter is we were never going to pay him the money he was going to get in free agency. It would be nice to have kept him as our 2/3 with MW being the other 2/3, but in the salary cap era it is unwise to pay big money to multiple receivers. And with pay days coming up for Gordon, Henry, and MW, we can't pay everyone. Ok, there is some debate amongst our fanbase about who is better - TW or MW - but if I take my Chargers cap off, neither receiver is perfect. They are both capable of boom (big plays and big games) or bust (dropped balls, one catch games etc). But last season MW came out and had a big second year when he caught 10 TDs. TW has never caught 10 TDs. Over the past two seasons TW has 9 to his name. Even when he was our number one receiver he didn't manage 10 TDs. So although there is debate, personally I would say MW has more upside than TW if MW's second season is anything to go by.

For me, good luck to TW with the Raiders. He will slot into a similar 2/3 role with Jordy Nelson being the guy competing for the 2/3 spot with him. Potentially a trio of AB, TW, and JN is going to be a tough trio to stop. If they somehow manage to bring back Jared Cook and find a running back capable of catching balls consistently out of the backfield, their offense will have sufficient weapons for Derek Carr to have a good season if his OL can protect him and give him more time. However, if he spends as much time on his backside or under pressure as he did last season, then Carr will once again be checking down more times than not and the benefit of that trio will not be gained.

Comment

• Critty
                Dominate the Day.
                • Mar 2019
                • Send PM

Meh. He really can only run the go route. His other routes too rounded, no crispy breaks. He doesn't make anyone miss, sometimes drops wide open passes, doesnt break tackles. The chemistry with Rivers sometimes had issues.

Chargers can find a speed guy to run go routes.

Nice that Chargers will get a comp pick next year for a udfa.

WR worth drafting in middle rds.
                T.McLaurin 3rd rd.
                M.Boykins 4th rd.
                Who has it better than us?

Comment

• Boltjolt
                  Dont let the PBs fool ya
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Henderson, NV
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post
                  TW >> MW

:couch:

:what:
                  11 Brock Bowers TE - Georgia (plus AZ 2025 1st)
                  35 Kris Jenkins DT - Michigan
                  37 Cooper Beebe OG -Kansas st
                  66 Mike Sainristil CB - Michigan
                  69 Jaylen Wright RB - Tenn or Blake Corum - Michigan
                  100 Brenden Rice WR - USC (trade ⬆️w/ Wash for 2025 5th)
                  110 Cedric Gray LB - N. Carolina
                  140 Hunter Nourzad OC -Penn st
                  181 Jarrian Jones CB - Florida st
                  225 Cedrick Johnson Edge - Ol' Miss ➡️ 253 Fabien Lovett DT-FL st

Comment

• foreigner
                    Tom Telesco is gone
                    • Sep 2013
                    • Send PM

Nothing wrong with seeing the kid secure his future, I'm alright with that, thank you for your good production with us kiddo, good luck!

Comment

• Steve
                      Administrator
                      • Jun 2013
                      • South Carolina
                      • Meteorologist
                      • Send PM

TW is a better all-around player at this point. Not by much, but a bit better. He runs a lot of different routes. Has really improved his route running. He can now contest passes, where when he was in his first 2 years, he let the DB win every time. But his major flaw is that he cannot get off press coverage at the line. It takes him forever to separate. At this stage, you have to question how much better he is going to get in that area. He has been pretty invisible against teams that play a lot of press. IN my book that makes him one great 3rd WR, but if he is going to be a top WR, he has to be able to beat single coverage, even if the guy gets in his face.

Mike WIlliams is not the route runner and still learning to become an NFL WR. He has a long way to go, but if someone comes up and presses him, there are times, especially down near the goal line, he just swats the DB's hands off and gets the TD. MW will continue to get better in the areas he needs work at. His route running needs to improve, no doubt. And it will. IT has already gotten better, and the more he does, the better it will get.

The other big problem with signing TW was just the money. We had $22 million in cap space, about $8-10 million is tied up by our draft picks and our emergency money for the regular season to sign injury players. That leaves $12 mill. So the choice was signing the guys we have or TW. Which would you rather have? 2 LB, a NT, backup QB (the best we have had since the John Freisz/Stan Humphries days), and ...... Because that is the choice.

If a team has a huge amount of space, and other players, they can continue to make room and free up money after the draft, but the Chargers tend to sign real contracts. Half of the contracts signed in the last 2 days are illusions. They are signed by desperate teams with the acknowledgment that they will NEVER see the end of the contract, so the extra bonus money and huge salary at the end of the deal don't apply. BUt the teams will take a big chunk of dead space for players they know will never make it to the end. But they are so desperate for help now, they are willing to do anything.

Things can get even more depserate this year. The end of the CBA is looming, so teams are going to sacrifice some bad deals now, knowing that if they wait any, they will get slapped with big fines. Plus, you don't want these guy to actually play out their deals on a new CBA, that may have some unintended loopholes that kills a team.

I would have liked to have kept TW, but TT made the right choice and it wasn't even close.

Comment

• Panamamike
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                        TW is a better all-around player at this point. Not by much, but a bit better. He runs a lot of different routes. Has really improved his route running. He can now contest passes, where when he was in his first 2 years, he let the DB win every time. But his major flaw is that he cannot get off press coverage at the line. It takes him forever to separate. At this stage, you have to question how much better he is going to get in that area. He has been pretty invisible against teams that play a lot of press. IN my book that makes him one great 3rd WR, but if he is going to be a top WR, he has to be able to beat single coverage, even if the guy gets in his face.

Mike WIlliams is not the route runner and still learning to become an NFL WR. He has a long way to go, but if someone comes up and presses him, there are times, especially down near the goal line, he just swats the DB's hands off and gets the TD. MW will continue to get better in the areas he needs work at. His route running needs to improve, no doubt. And it will. IT has already gotten better, and the more he does, the better it will get.

The other big problem with signing TW was just the money. We had $22 million in cap space, about $8-10 million is tied up by our draft picks and our emergency money for the regular season to sign injury players. That leaves $12 mill. So the choice was signing the guys we have or TW. Which would you rather have? 2 LB, a NT, backup QB (the best we have had since the John Freisz/Stan Humphries days), and ...... Because that is the choice.

If a team has a huge amount of space, and other players, they can continue to make room and free up money after the draft, but the Chargers tend to sign real contracts. Half of the contracts signed in the last 2 days are illusions. They are signed by desperate teams with the acknowledgment that they will NEVER see the end of the contract, so the extra bonus money and huge salary at the end of the deal don't apply. BUt the teams will take a big chunk of dead space for players they know will never make it to the end. But they are so desperate for help now, they are willing to do anything.

Things can get even more depserate this year. The end of the CBA is looming, so teams are going to sacrifice some bad deals now, knowing that if they wait any, they will get slapped with big fines. Plus, you don't want these guy to actually play out their deals on a new CBA, that may have some unintended loopholes that kills a team.

I would have liked to have kept TW, but TT made the right choice and it wasn't even close.
                        MWILL is vastly superior to TWILL at the similar stage of their career. It is really not even close. Unless you think MWILL does not work at his craft and thus will not improve (keep in mind he has had 1 pro off season and reg season) he will be far and away the better long term pro given both stay healthy.

Comment

• Jagged
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Omaha, Nebraska
                          • Send PM

I liked rooting for TWILL while he was here. Un-drafted free agent who was maximizing his chance to play. It's a good story. I don't think the team will miss a beat though, I don't remember hearing his name for anything significant after the Titans game. I could be wrong, but I also don't think he's going to have the success with the raiders that he had here.

Comment

Working...
                          X