Clear All
  • chargeroo
    Fan since 1961
    • Jan 2019
    • Oregon
    • Retired Manager/Pastor
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Guest View Post

End of the day games like the Chargers and Patriots can happen. Sadly it seems to be a trend with our team with Rivers as quarterback. It's not all his fault, but we've blown at least two good opportunities in the Rivers era. So maybe you are right that we weren't a true 12-4 team, then again it might just be the case that we can beat people up in regular season, but when it matters in the play offs we choke.
    The defense gave up 35 points in the first half and you blame our QB? That doesn't even make sense.
    THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• blueman
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

And that D was missing 6, 7 starters?

Comment

• Cdn Bolt
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jan 2019
        • Ontario , Canada
        • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post
        The defense gave up 35 points in the first half and you blame our QB? That doesn't even make sense.
        The D deserves some fault but the O did nothing after the 1st TD. Here are the series. 3 and out, 7 plays 24 yds, Rivers 0-2 in 2nd set of downs, 4 plays 26 yds, Rivers 0-2 in 2nd series, then another 3 and out.

I have no confidence in Rivers sometimes.

Play-by-play action for the New England Patriots vs. Los Angeles Chargers NFL game from January 13, 2019 on ESPN.
        Last edited by Cdn Bolt; 04-22-2019, 04:43 PM.

Comment

• Steve
          Administrator
          • Jun 2013
          • South Carolina
          • Meteorologist
          • Send PM

Our OL was the big failing. Rivers was under pressure on his 5th step. Not much you can do if the WR aren't open and the pressure is coming when the QB hits their 5th step.

Comment

• Xenos
            • Feb 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            Our OL was the big failing. Rivers was under pressure on his 5th step. Not much you can do if the WR aren't open and the pressure is coming when the QB hits their 5th step.
            Shore up the interior oline with better and more consistent players, and we see an even better offense next season IMO.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
              Smooth Operation
              • May 2017
              • Send PM

Steve, Xenos, it is easy to picture the Raiders getting Quinnen, too.

Oh wait Chucky has a surprise.
              We do not play modern football.

Comment

• chargeroo
                Fan since 1961
                • Jan 2019
                • Oregon
                • Retired Manager/Pastor
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Cdn Bolt View Post

The D deserves some fault but the O did nothing after the 1st TD. Here are the series. 3 and out, 7 plays 24 yds, Rivers 0-2 in 2nd set of downs, 4 plays 26 yds, Rivers 0-2 in 2nd series, then another 3 and out.

I have no confidence in Rivers sometimes.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/playbyplay?gameId=401038959
                Now go look at the patriots series by series. They ate up our defense. I agree that it wasn't a good day for the O either but I think the D stunk in that game. On the other hand, I can't recall ever seeing a team cover our receivers as well as the patriots covered on that day. I said during the game, it's like they are in the huddle and know what routes we'll be running.
                THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Boltjolt
                  Dont let the PBs fool ya
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Henderson, NV
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post
                  Now go look at the patriots series by series. They ate up our defense. I agree that it wasn't a good day for the O either but I think the D stunk in that game. On the other hand, I can't recall ever seeing a team cover our receivers as well as the patriots covered on that day. I said during the game, it's like they are in the huddle and know what routes we'll be running.
                  Spy Gate
                  11 Brock Bowers TE - Georgia (plus AZ 2025 1st)
                  35 Kris Jenkins DT - Michigan
                  37 Cooper Beebe OG -Kansas st
                  66 Mike Sainristil CB - Michigan
                  69 Jaylen Wright RB - Tenn or Blake Corum - Michigan
                  100 Brenden Rice WR - USC (trade ⬆️w/ Wash for 2025 5th)
                  110 Cedric Gray LB - N. Carolina
                  140 Hunter Nourzad OC -Penn st
                  181 Jarrian Jones CB - Florida st
                  225 Cedrick Johnson Edge - Ol' Miss ➡️ 253 Fabien Lovett DT-FL st

Comment

• blueman
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Spy Gate
                    All day.

Comment

• Steve
                      Administrator
                      • Jun 2013
                      • South Carolina
                      • Meteorologist
                      • Send PM

Everyone stunk vs NE. That happens after we spent so much energy going out and taking Baltimore behind the woodshed the week before. The fact that we stunk across the board vs NE kinda proves it. We didn't lose individual matchups, NE did everything well at will. The Chargers were emotionally spent. I don't necessarily think you can draw too many conclusions from the game.

I look at the draft and work under the assumption that only a couple 2 or 3 draft picks are going to have an impact in any given season. That is the number of quality picks that we have (rounds 1-3). After that, it is pretty much luck if they have a major role. It certainly happens in the NFL, just not often.

So the question is really what areas can we invest those 2 or 3 picks to make the team good enough to beat Pitt, KC, NE and/or Baltimore (presumed front runners in the AFC next season)?

Last season, we were :
                      Turnover diff +1 (15th overall) - note 5 of our 14 defensive int were inside our own 10 yard line
                      8th in explosive passes allowed, 18th in explosive runs allowed.
                      7th in explosive runs, and 5th in explosive passes
                      Our lack of turnovers was canceled by creating more explosive plays than we allowed. That was pretty much the reason for our success, since while we were good, we really weren't great in other areas.

Defense
                      8th in points allowed
                      9th in total yards allowed
                      9th in pass yards allowed
                      9th in run yards allowed
                      18th in 3rd downs conversion rate (misleading since the middle of the pack is so tightly clustered, the takeaway is we were not particularly good or bad)

Offense
                      6th in points per game
                      11th in total yards per game
                      12th in passing yards per game
                      15th in rushing yards per game
                      16th in 3rd down conversion rate (again for 3rd down conversions, so many teams are so tightly clustered, that the overall ranking is almost meaningless, except to say were just kinda average).

Comment

• beachcomber
                        & ramblin' man
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

Steve.... did you leave us hanging ??

my fill in the blank answer sorta surprises myself, and.... would volunteer that we need to/can increase our explosive run plays (maybe why I subconsciously like Bryce Love ?), and in turn increase our points per game.... almost counterintuitive or not overly logical, as am a bit of the school that defense wins championships, and....

we do have AL as our HC.... play to his (running game) strengths ??
                        RT Taliese Fuaga, DT Jer'Zhan Newton, NT T'Vondre Sweat, LB Cedric Gray, TE Ben Sinnott, RB Daijun Edwards, FS Cole Bishop, QB Joe Milton

Comment

• NoMoreChillies
                          Outback Goon
                          • Sep 2018
                          • Australia
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Spy Gate
                          my tin foil hat theory:

Patriots are using drones to record practices, flying so high that people cannot see them from the ground and with camera technology they zoom in and get all the plays opponents are running. This is so hard to detect that it will only come to light 15 years after BB retires and writes a book for $$$.

call it the Lance Armstrong theory.

Comment

Working...
                          X