Clear All
  • Formula 21
    The Future is Now
    • Jun 2013
    • Republic of San Diego
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Panamamike View Post
    Just wanted to send an update....

after researching my mom's pacemaker they were able to do an MRI. They didn't think they could, as she has had it for many years now. Anyway, the more detailed and clear picture has shown that there are 2 additional small tumours in the frontal lobe. However, the surgeon, having reviewed the images now thinks there's is an outside shot he can cut away a portion of the large tumour and then they may be able to radiate it without it swelling and killing. It is a highly risky procedure and could result in death or after effects that my mom does not want to live with/as. So we are now waiting for her to weigh her options to proceed with the surgery, let nature take its course, or ask for the Dr. To assist her in departing on her own terms.

I have no no words to adequately express my gratefulness for all your support and mojo, but on behalf of my mom I want to sincerely say "Thank You."
    thanks for the update. Those are hard choices and I wish her the best as she chooses.

Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
    The Wasted Decade is done.
    Build Back Better.

Comment

• Panamamike
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Further update:

in my daily morning video call Thursday morning with my mom, she was leaning to have surgery. Then she spoke with the neurosurgeon and he detailed the surgery, risks, and possible complications. Mom then flipped her decision to not have surgery and go out on Her own terms. I respect her decision 100% , but I was devastated. Then that evening my dad's old Partner from their Dr. Practice called my mom and told her "Fran you can't do this. Please. You are still vibrant and have much to live for. The Dr always tells you the worst first. Give it a shot....go for the home run and if it doesn't work out you can then invoke your right to die. Mom changed her mind again. We had a conference call with the surgeon and he detailed what she has, what he thinks he can do etc etc. She signed the consent forms and we are waiting a surgery date; likely in a couple weeks. The surgery is expected to last 12-14 hours and it is incredibly risky and delicate. He won't be able to remove it all, but we are hoping he can reduce the spinal compression and give her back a modicum of quality of life. I can not imagine what she went through this week, as I was a wreck.....barely able to eat and only sleeping about 2 hrs a day. I am so proud of how she is handling this...she is my hero. To give you an idea of how lucky she is....the fall that broke her leg and even a hard sudden slam on the brake in a car could kill her. I am so fortunate to be able to fly home for a visit and be there for the surgery.

i will let you know the date when i have it. I am going to the beach to spend the Easter weekend with my son. I thank you all from the bottom of my heart and wish you and yours a Happy Easter/Passover.

Comment

• blueman
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Wow, what a rollercoaster. She sounds like a warrior, so brave. Hang in there, and MOJO for the surgery.

Comment

• Formula 21
          The Future is Now
          • Jun 2013
          • Republic of San Diego
          • Send PM

Good luck to her. That is the most difficult decision anyone has to make in their lifetime.
          Build Back Better.

Comment

• SDFan
            Woober Goober
            • Jun 2013
            • Dolores, CO
            • Retired
            • Send PM

Further update:

in my daily morning video call Thursday morning with my mom, she was leaning to have surgery. Then she spoke with the neurosurgeon and he detailed the surgery, risks, and possible complications. Mom then flipped her decision to not have surgery and go out on Her own terms. I respect her decision 100% , but I was devastated. Then that evening my dad's old Partner from their Dr. Practice called my mom and told her "Fran you can't do this. Please. You are still vibrant and have much to live for. The Dr always tells you the worst first. Give it a shot....go for the home run and if it doesn't work out you can then invoke your right to die. Mom changed her mind again. We had a conference call with the surgeon and he detailed what she has, what he thinks he can do etc etc. She signed the consent forms and we are waiting a surgery date; likely in a couple weeks. The surgery is expected to last 12-14 hours and it is incredibly risky and delicate. He won't be able to remove it all, but we are hoping he can reduce the spinal compression and give her back a modicum of quality of life. I can not imagine what she went through this week, as I was a wreck.....barely able to eat and only sleeping about 2 hrs a day. I am so proud of how she is handling this...she is my hero. To give you an idea of how lucky she is....the fall that broke her leg and even a hard sudden slam on the brake in a car could kill her. I am so fortunate to be able to fly home for a visit and be there for the surgery.

i will let you know the date when i have it. I am going to the beach to spend the Easter weekend with my son. I thank you all from the bottom of my heart and wish you and yours a Happy Easter/Passover.
            Dad's old partner is a very wise man. Yes, in my experience they DO always give the worst possible case. IMO this is mainly because of CYA from lawsuits and insurance premiums. It's also to keep family expectations realistic. Do you know the biggest risk associated with any surgery? The Anesthesia. You'd be amazed at how many lethal strains of bacteria are found in hospitals too- so much so that infections are in the top 2 killers of hospital patients. Hopefully your Mom can maintain a positive attitude going into the surgery and especially afterwards as the recovery is just as important as the successful procedure. It's important to have a comfort level going in about what exactly is done during the surgery and maybe even more important confidence you have a good surgeon with a good track record on this specific procedure. I've always asked a ton of questions, researched the procedure on internet AND the surgeon- and was still asking questions in the hospital the day of surgery and they welcome it. Anything you can do to put her mind at ease going in will help, whether it's faith, knowledge, comfort level or any combination. If she can do even minimal exercises daily leading up to surgery that helps as well in tolerating the anesthesia and how your body reacts to an invasive procedure.

Again Best of Luck to you all
            Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• RobH
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Tokyo, Japan
              • University English Lecturer
              • Send PM

Mojo. Tons of it.

Comment

• Panamamike
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

This will be my last Update:

unfortunately my my mom has really gone down hill since last Friday. She called off the surgery yesterday and is planning to go out on her own terms. I am flying back this weekend to spend some time with her and say goodbye before she invokes her right to die. I cried when I Face timed with her today and she kicked my ass. We Will be planning her Celebration of Life this weekend as a family. She is the strongest person I have ever known. I will miss her dearly.

Thanks for all all the thoughts, prayers, and mojo.....it meant a lot...more than I can say.

Comment

• Fleet
                  TPB Founder
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Cardiff - Poipu
                  • Send PM

unfortunately my my mom has really gone down hill since last Friday. She called off the surgery yesterday and is planning to go out on her own terms. I am flying back this weekend to spend some time with her and say goodbye before she invokes her right to die. I cried when I Face timed with her today and she kicked my ass. We Will be planning her Celebration of Life this weekend as a family. She is the strongest person I have ever known. I will miss her dearly.

Thanks for all all the thoughts, prayers, and mojo.....it meant a lot...more than I can say.
                  Brings me to tears. Our hearts are with you brother. May she pass peacefully. Godspeed to your mother. I think i speak for every member at TPB when i say "we raise our glasses to your mother" "Cheers to your mom...and cheers to your family"

Comment

• Formula 21
                    The Future is Now
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Republic of San Diego
                    • Send PM

That's heartbreaking. My mother died of cancer after she couldn't tolerate the treatments anymore. And I was with my father when he decided his time had come. These are the worst days of our lives.
                    Build Back Better.

Comment

• RobH
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Tokyo, Japan
                      • University English Lecturer
                      • Send PM

Hard times. Try to make the best of what time you have left. Make the memories as positive as possible.

Lost both my parents to cancer. I was in college when I lost my mom.

Stay strong for her and your family.

Peace.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                        Dont let the PBs fool ya
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Henderson, NV
                        • Send PM

Hope your Mom comes thru 100% better from this.
                        11 Brock Bowers TE - Georgia (plus AZ 2025 1st)
                        35 Kris Jenkins DT - Michigan
                        37 Cooper Beebe OG -Kansas st
                        66 Mike Sainristil CB - Michigan
                        69 Jaylen Wright RB - Tenn or Blake Corum - Michigan
                        100 Brenden Rice WR - USC (trade ⬆️w/ Wash for 2025 5th)
                        110 Cedric Gray LB - N. Carolina
                        140 Hunter Nourzad OC -Penn st
                        181 Jarrian Jones CB - Florida st
                        225 Cedrick Johnson Edge - Ol' Miss ➡️ 253 Fabien Lovett DT-FL st

Comment

• Charged4Life
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Oct 2017
                          • Send PM

Thanks sooo much guys. Uffff, this is so hard to type....

Although she has only seen the neurosurgeon and not the oncologist, he is not hopeful. The tumour is massive and in about the worst position possible. I have been advised to prepare to fly back to say good-bye as quickly as possible. Hug your loved ones ladies and gentlemen, you never know when that may no longer be possible. 18 months ago my favourite bro (love all 3, but yeah I said it....he was frickin the best person I have ever known) died in my apartment and now I am making arrangements to go home to say goodbye to my mom. life is not fair and nothing is given. pls don't take things for granted. Bury any hatchets, be real and true to those u love and honestly make sure they know how much u love them. I am grateful for the opportunity to actually be able to do this.

Peace to u all.....

My heart is with you.

Comment

Working...
                          X