French Speaking Charger Fan
    • Jan 2019
    • Québec city
    • Send PM

Are The Chargers Really 8th On Offense?

According to Chris Wesseling...

8) Los Angeles Chargers

Quarterback: B+ | Philip Rivers, Tyrod Taylor, Easton Stick

Backfield: A- | Melvin Gordon, Austin Ekeler, Justin Jackson, Detrez Newsome

Receiving corps: B+ | Keenan Allen, Mike Williams, Hunter Henry (TE), Travis Benjamin, Dylan Cantrell, Artavis Scott, Virgil Green (TE)

Offensive line: C | Russell Okung, Sam Tevi, Dan Feeney, Michael Schofield, Mike Pouncey, Cole Toner, Forrest Lamp, Trent Scott, Trey Pipkins

Is that me or the Chargers offense is higher than that?

QB: A-
    RB: A-
    REC: A
    OL: B-

IMO, they're in the top 5
  • jubei
    Vagabond Ninja
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

what about OC? I think whiz is just a little above middle of the road, but not top 5 offensive mind.

Comment

• sonorajim
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Maniaque 6 View Post
      According to Chris Wesseling...

8) Los Angeles Chargers

Quarterback: B+ | Philip Rivers, Tyrod Taylor, Easton Stick

Backfield: A- | Melvin Gordon, Austin Ekeler, Justin Jackson, Detrez Newsome

Receiving corps: B+ | Keenan Allen, Mike Williams, Hunter Henry (TE), Travis Benjamin, Dylan Cantrell, Artavis Scott, Virgil Green (TE)

Offensive line: C | Russell Okung, Sam Tevi, Dan Feeney, Michael Schofield, Mike Pouncey, Cole Toner, Forrest Lamp, Trent Scott, Trey Pipkins

Is that me or the Chargers offense is higher than that?

QB: A-
      RB: A-
      REC: A
      OL: B-

IMO, they're in the top 5
      For the 2018 season the LAC offense were #6 scoring, #11 in total yds. We should be better but it remains for them to prove it.

Comment

• Bolts & Noles
        Registered Charger Fan
        • May 2019
        • Send PM

That's a good point about whiz.
        I think it's a far grade.I think where basically b+at QB b at RB and b+ to a- at WR.OL is a bit more concerning.Rivers and the O goes about as far as they'll take us.Need a FA singing there.

Comment

• richpjr
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Nashville
          • Send PM

I think that if the line plays better we could/should move us into the top 5, injuries not withstanding.

Comment

• Steve
            Administrator
            • Jun 2013
            • South Carolina
            • Meteorologist
            • Send PM

As far as our QB, RB and Receivers, I don't know how much better we could get. Name a 2nd string QB who is better than Tyrod. He may be a low-end starter, but he is at or just below the caliber of a starter. No one has any better QB situation than we do. Last year, Wentz and Foles, but that is the best situation for any NFL team has had for years. I would give us a solid A.

The RB will continue to improve with Jackson and Newsome getting experience. They proved they can be effective runners and receivers last year. They will improve in their pass protection, just like Ekeler really raised his game last season. He was horrible in pass protection and ball protection, but neither of those was a problem last year. A- for the lack of experienced depth

We have 3 starting caliber WR for the 3 WR spots, and a top-notch TE. We have little established depth, but we will almost certainly going to have to cut some promising prospects at the end of TC, so we are not bad. As good or better than most NFL teams. A-

OL is the biggest issue. It is a better than average group, but that speaks more to the state of OL play in the NFL. There is a severe shortage of good+ OL, and the demand is as high as ever. But these days, even if you draft OL high, it is going to take time to develop them. C+

Comment

• wu-dai clan
              Smooth Operation
              • May 2017
              • Send PM

I hope The Trenchers will read carefully the last paragraph of Steve's post above.

The Chargers decided that only Jonah Williams or Andre Dillard would be prudent early round investments over what we have going.

No one is saying Feeney is great, or Schofield is versatile, or it's cool that Lamp still has us gripping tightly, and that we need to do backflips of joy.

We are counting on the probability of improvements from our incumbants, and in the benefits of continuity in our unit, and in the consistent teachings of Pat Meyer.

We do get bits and pieces to cling to...the video of Lamp's agility in recent ladder drills...the fact that Feeney worked on fundamentals all off season with the great Duke Manyweather.

Let the clouds clear.
              Let us have a functioning Oline.
              Is that asking for too much ?

At least we built the shite out of our defense.
              Last edited by wu-dai clan; 05-08-2019, 06:34 AM.
              You don't know ball

Comment

• pacstud
                Black Belt Poster
                • Sep 2018
                • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
                I hope The Trenchers will read carefully the last paragraph of Steve's post above.

The Chargers decided that only Jonah Williams or Andre Dillard would be prudent early round investments over what we have going.

No one is saying Feeney is great, or Schofield is versatile, or it's cool that Lamp still has us gripping tightly, and that we need to do backflips of joy.

We are counting on the probability of improvements from our incumbants, and in the benefits of continuity in our unit, and in the consistent teachings of Pat Meyer.

We do get bits and pieces to cling to...the video of Lamp's agility in recent ladder drills...the fact that Feeney worked on fundamentals all off season with the great Duke Manyweather.

Let the clouds clear.
                Let us have a functioning Oline.
                Is that asking for too much ?

At least we built the shite out of our defense.
                And I'm ok with this philosophy, truly.

BUT THE DEFENSE MUST HOLD EARLY!

And, the offense must give us a lead. We cannot play from behind with this philosophy...at least not very often.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                  Smooth Operation
                  • May 2017
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by pacstud View Post

And I'm ok with this philosophy, truly.

BUT THE DEFENSE MUST HOLD EARLY!

And, the offense must give us a lead. We cannot play from behind with this philosophy...at least not very often.
                  I am concerned. These opponents have good bookend pass rushers.
                  And Feeney, Lamp MUST come on. Phil needs a clean inner pocket.

Oh no. I sound panicked. Wish I were a bonifide trencher.

Good to hear from you, pac !
                  You don't know ball

Comment

• sonorajim
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

I think the offense know who they are, what they can do and it's a darn good, experienced QB, RB, WR, TE unit if we stay reasonably healthy. The OL should be OK.
                    Great defense is huge. We aren't the '85 Bears or '00 Ravens, not those personnel but should be very effective with the improvements at DT, LB, FS.
                    Special Teams is ? Money Badger was a great find. One of the Ty's should improve punting. Returns should be good. Coverages need to make more plays and we had 0 blocks of FG or punt. Get better field position, some takeaways, ST scoring, we're looking like a complete playoff team.

Comment

• sonorajim
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

I am concerned. These opponents have good bookend pass rushers.
                      And Feeney, Lamp MUST come on. Phil needs a clean inner pocket.

Oh no. I sound panicked. Wish I were a bonifide trencher.

Good to hear from you, pac !
                      I agree about the need for interior pass pro and would love to see strong, effective pull blocks. There are 16 OL, 10 are OG/C's in camp. I hope for strong competition for starting slots not manned by Okung & Pouncey.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                        Smooth Operation
                        • May 2017
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post
                        I agree about the need for interior pass pro and would love to see strong, effective pull blocks. There are 16 OL, 10 are OG/C's in camp. I hope for strong competition for starting slots not manned by Okung & Pouncey.
                        ...and good health for our two vet leaders !!!
                        You don't know ball

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        😀
                        😂
                        🥰
                        😘
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😞
                        😡