glutton for punishment
    • Jan 2019
    • Lake Arrowhead, CA
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Maniaque 6 View Post
    According to Chris Wesseling...

8) Los Angeles Chargers

Quarterback: B+ | Philip Rivers, Tyrod Taylor, Easton Stick

Backfield: A- | Melvin Gordon, Austin Ekeler, Justin Jackson, Detrez Newsome

Receiving corps: B+ | Keenan Allen, Mike Williams, Hunter Henry (TE), Travis Benjamin, Dylan Cantrell, Artavis Scott, Virgil Green (TE)

Offensive line: C | Russell Okung, Sam Tevi, Dan Feeney, Michael Schofield, Mike Pouncey, Cole Toner, Forrest Lamp, Trent Scott, Trey Pipkins

Is that me or the Chargers offense is higher than that?

QB: A-
    RB: A-
    REC: A
    OL: B-

IMO, they're in the top 5
    I think your grades are good... but I would give the OL a C+ with potential... and I think the grade on said OL is more important (i.e. a higher weight) than the corresponding grades for RB/REC. The OL is probably twice as important as those skill positions. As such, I am OK with the 8th rank. Again, we have a ton of potential to go to the next level... but they never seem to be able to reach elite and I think the relative mediocrity of the OL is largely responsible.

Comment

• blueman
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

I think we're gonna have to wait for the season to start for an accurate grade on the OL, they may suck balls or they may dominate.

Comment

• like54ninjas
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Oct 2017
        • Great White North
        • Draftnik
        • Send PM

Passing out of heavy sets provides a competitive advantage for NFL offenses

BY BEN LINSEY
        AUG 9, 2019 NFL FEATURED TOOLS

• Premium Stats

ELITE

Our exclusive database, featuring the most in-depth collection of NFL player performance data.
        • Player Grades

EDGE

PFF's exclusive metrics provide matchup previews, position rankings, grades, and snap counts.
        • 2019 QB Annual

EDGE

In-depth analysis and PFF metrics for 35 NFL quarterbacks from the 2018 season.
        • 2020 NFL Draft Guide

EDGE

150+ scouting profiles and signature stats for the 2020 draft class.
        MORE TOOLS PFF EDGE

UNLOCK PLAYER GRADES, FANTASY & NFL DRAFT
        Learn More
        $39.99 /yr
        $9.99 / mo

UNLOCK PREMIUM STATS, GREENLINE PICKS & DFS
        Learn More
        INCLUDES ALL OF PFF EDGE

$199.99 /yr
        $34.99 / mo
        Offensive success in the NFL is all about exploiting defensive inefficiencies by creating favorable matchups and situations given your offensive personnel. One glaring example is the game between the Los Angeles Chargers and the Pittsburgh Steelers last season, in which Keenan Allen was targeted seven times with a linebacker as his primary coverage defender. Allen turned those seven targets into six receptions for 56 yards, including a clutch first-down reception on a pivotal, late-game third-and-four.

In football, as in life, you want to avoid friction if possible. As an offense, you want talented receivers -- whether that be a wide receiver, tight end, running back or fullback -- going to work against coverage liabilities, i.e., linebackers and safeties that are better suited for collisions near the line of scrimmage than keeping pace with crafty route-runners in the open field. You want the running back bursting through to a clear second level rather than bouncing off defenders from a stacked box at the line of scrimmage.

Slowly but surely, NFL teams are beginning to catch on. There's been talk about how successful the Los Angeles Rams' run game has been and the direct relationship that their absurdly high usage of 11 personnel (1 RB, 1 TE) has on that through manipulating the defensive personnel and alignment. An idea that has been slower to take hold has been the converse: that passing out of heavier formations (12 personnel, 22 personnel, etc.) could be more effective given that you have running backs and tight ends that can take advantage of base defenses in the passing game, as PFF analyst Jordan Plocher suggested several weeks ago.
        My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
        K9
        Nasir
        Tillery
        Parham
        Reed

Comment

• Velo
          Ride!
          • Aug 2019
          • Everywhere
          • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
          • Send PM

The loss of Tyrell Williams, Melvin Gordon's holdout, and Russell Okung's status unknown due to illness - these three missing from last year's offense is going to factor in how the pundits rate the offense.

Comment

• Maniaque 6
            French Speaking Charger Fan
            • Jan 2019
            • Québec city
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
            The loss of Tyrell Williams, Melvin Gordon's holdout, and Russell Okung's status unknown due to illness - these three missing from last year's offense is going to factor in how the pundits rate the offense.
            The problem is that this article has been written somewhere in June.
            Okung and Gordon were there.
            If the Chargers were 8th on offense in June, imagine where they are now!
            It seems absurb to me.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
              Smooth Operation
              • May 2017
              • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

The anomaly here is Cooper Kupp. He is known to be a big WR who blocks very well. The. LAR offense missed him greatly. They really got favorable matchups with Kupp out there.

Was it really 11 Personnel ?
              You don't know ball

Comment

• sonorajim
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

1st, it's an opinion. 2nd, Ranked how? Total yds? We may be playing from a favorable position frequently. I'll take points for top 5.

Comment

• richpjr
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Nashville
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
                  But we have Henry back and likely will improve the interior line with Lamp. Everything changes year to year anyway so it's just a guess at this point anyway.

Comment

• Velo
                    Ride!
                    • Aug 2019
                    • Everywhere
                    • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

But we have Henry back and likely will improve the interior line with Lamp. Everything changes year to year anyway so it's just a guess at this point anyway.
                    True... the return of Henry probably cancels out the loss of Tyrell Williams. Hopefully Henry returns strong. But when your offense is missing its leading scorer from the previous year and your Pro Bowl left tackle, with no significant additions to the offense in free agency or the draft, it's not hard to understand why some might think the offense it's going to take a step backwards.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                      Smooth Operation
                      • May 2017
                      • Send PM

We are #4 at NFL.com updated 8.13.19.

Obviously, they love Lamp, MW, KA, HH, JJ, EK.
                      You don't know ball

Comment

• glutton4Bolts
                        glutton for punishment
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Lake Arrowhead, CA
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
                        We are #4 at NFL.com updated 8.13.19.

Obviously, they love Lamp, MW, KA, HH, JJ, EK.
                        That is nice... but I have a bit of a hard time believing it w/ this OL.... I hope they will surprise me. I just got done listening to a 15 minute segment on the Chargers from a homer scout/pundit type and even he called the OL horrible w/o Okung. The OL is essential to a quality offense. Our team has all the skill position players on lock... even w/o Gordon in the 1st 5-8 games... but the OL is a big unknown. Really hoping the D is all-world so that we don't have to score a ton to win games.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                          Smooth Operation
                          • May 2017
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by glutton4Bolts View Post

That is nice... but I have a bit of a hard time believing it w/ this OL.... I hope they will surprise me. I just got done listening to a 15 minute segment on the Chargers from a homer scout/pundit type and even he called the OL horrible w/o Okung. The OL is essential to a quality offense. Our team has all the skill position players on lock... even w/o Gordon in the 1st 5-8 games... but the OL is a big unknown. Really hoping the D is all-world so that we don't have to score a ton to win games.
                          There is no disagreement here.
                          In August, I tend to promote the idea of developing a functioning Oline.
                          Of course there will be growing pains with this crew.
                          But frankly, I like Trent Scott more than Tevi.
                          We must run and our guys must get out to the second level.
                          Then try to pass block.
                          You don't know ball

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞