• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MasterOfPuppets
    Registered Charger Fan
    • May 2017
    • Tijuana
    • Send PM

I'm ok with the DL, would have been happier with Philon, even replacing Mebane (the money was similar)

Comment

• Budsman
      Registered Charger Fan
      • May 2017
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

2) Our run defense was not bad last year. Not sure where that false narrative came from other than what happened in the Patriots game. We were actually top 10.

image.png
      I dont care about the Suh Comparison, it was just meant to say hes a low impact signing that hasnt helped us with out biggest area of need on defense which IS run defense.

Theres an old saying "Lies Damned Lies and Statistics"

Sure we were ranked 9th in run yards allowed but dont stop there look deeper. Here are the NFL run defense statistics from last year ranked by Yards per game. Looks nice, until you start digging deeper.

image.png

We were tied with 4 other teams for 11th in the league (Slightly above average) in Yards per Cary at 4.3. So thats not that much different but still shows that our yrds/gm average might not tell the whole story. So lets look at another statistic, 1st downs allowed. This is a telling statistic because it tells you how good you are at stuffing the run when it matters and the chargers are tied at 16th with the Rams with 101 first downs allowed. We also allowed teams first downs on 25.6% of their runs, that ranks 23rd in the nfl with only the worst run defenses behind us.

So what does this tell us about our rush defense? A high yards per game, mediocre ypc and poor 1st down defense. It means we had a poor clutch running defense and that teams chose to throw the ball against us more than run. This is likely due to the fact that we were ahead in many games and teams needed to throw and couldn't run.Our passing defense is pretty good across the board so it doesn't make sense for them to abandon the run, but they did. The problem arose that when the time came to stop an opponent from getting the crucial first down, this defense was down right bad at at.

Overall its easy to look at their YPG and say they were a good run defense, but when you look deeper you see that that stat doesn't tell the whole story and frankly watching the team you would see it too.

Source: http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorysta...ualified=false

Comment

• blueman
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Why TT has been drafting/signing FAs for D so much, as good as we are we need to get better. Signed, Captain Obvious lol.

Comment

• Xenos
          • Feb 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Budsman View Post

I dont care about the Suh Comparison, it was just meant to say hes a low impact signing that hasnt helped us with out biggest area of need on defense which IS run defense.

Sure we were ranked 9th in run yards allowed but dont stop there look deeper. Here are the NFL run defense statistics from last year ranked by Yards per game. Looks nice, until you start digging deeper.

image.png

We were tied with 4 other teams for 11th in the league (Slightly above average) in Yards per Cary at 4.3. So thats not that much different but still shows that our yrds/gm average might not tell the whole story. So lets look at another statistic, 1st downs allowed. This is a telling statistic because it tells you how good you are at stuffing the run when it matters and the chargers are tied at 16th with the Rams with 101 first downs allowed. We also allowed teams first downs on 25.6% of their runs, that ranks 23rd in the nfl with only the worst run defenses behind us.

So what does this tell us about our rush defense? A high yards per game, mediocre ypc and poor 1st down defense. It means we had a poor clutch running defense and that teams chose to throw the ball against us more than run. This is likely due to the fact that we were ahead in many games and teams needed to throw and couldn't run.Our passing defense is pretty good across the board so it doesn't make sense for them to abandon the run, but they did. The problem arose that when the time came to stop an opponent from getting the crucial first down, this defense was down right bad at at.

Overall its easy to look at their YPG and say they were a good run defense, but when you look deeper you see that that stat doesn't tell the whole story and frankly watching the team you would see it too.

I appreciate you taking the time to analyze and provide your input on our run defense. With regards to your bolded part, that's why I posted the link to footballoutsider's DVOA page. They actually measure the defensive efficiency and provide context.Here's additional information if you want to know how DVOA works. Essentially, they're doing what you're doing, only providing even deep analytical insight. I'm not saying they're perfect. Nor do I believe that this team cannot improve its run defense (I watched the films as well). But they are far from being bad as you initially recommended. The main thing that this defense needs is health.

THE SHORT VERSION:

DVOA is a method of evaluating teams, units, or players. It takes every single play during the NFL season and compares each one to a league-average baseline based on situation. DVOA measures not just yardage, but yardage towards a first down: Five yards on third-and-4 are worth more than five yards on first-and-10 and much more than five yards on third-and-12. Red zone plays are worth more than other plays. Performance is also adjusted for the quality of the opponent. DVOA is a percentage, so a team with a DVOA of 10.0% is 10 percent better than the average team, and a quarterback with a DVOA of -20.0% is 20 percent worse than the average quarterback. Because DVOA measures scoring, defenses are better when they are negative. For more detail, read below.

Comment

• La Costa Boy
            Pretty much retired......
            • Sep 2018
            • JoJa
            • Bloviator of hot air and rhetoric.
            • Send PM

What about Carun Reid as a filler piece? We had him once, should we try again???

Comment

• Topcat
              AKA "Pollcat"
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Budsman View Post

image.png

Good analysis there, Bud.

Comment

• Boltnut
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Feb 2019
                • Send PM

Corey Liuget has a 13.1% run-stop percentage this season, which is fourth-best for all interior defensive linemen.

How much of our run defense efficiency was due to Corey Luiget...?

Comment

• beachcomber
                  & ramblin' man
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

reading 'bout Justin Jones in the playoffs against Baltimore, makes me want a double team commanding, space eating run stuffer even more....

people always point to individual stats, and.... anybody care to have a look see to what happened to Jacksonville's D after the arrival of Marcell Dareus ??

recall someone calling me out 'bout Star Lotulelei and his impact w/Carolina, and.... doing the research, 'twas clear that he had a large influence upon the (newfound) success of their D, and.... is it coincidence, or has the arrival of Star in Buffalo been party to HC Sean McDermott's (now) rising (defensive) star ??
                  RT Taliese Fuaga, DT Jer'Zhan Newton, NT T'Vondre Sweat, LB Cedric Gray, TE Ben Sinnott, RB Daijun Edwards, FS Cole Bishop, QB Joe Milton

Comment

• beachcomber
                    & ramblin' man
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

and ever since the inception of Telesco & Co. eye have been waiting on and wanting of an IDL.... starting w/Star Lotulelei in lieu of DJ, A'Shawn Robinson, Malik McDowell, Vita Vea and Dexter Lawrence (last two both off the board before we selected), am now already in hopes of landing Derrick Brown in this next year's draft.... hoping for the best w/Jerry, and.... still looking for that NT that makes the entire D that much better with them on the field.
                    RT Taliese Fuaga, DT Jer'Zhan Newton, NT T'Vondre Sweat, LB Cedric Gray, TE Ben Sinnott, RB Daijun Edwards, FS Cole Bishop, QB Joe Milton

Comment

• Budsman
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • May 2017
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

I appreciate you taking the time to analyze and provide your input on our run defense. With regards to your bolded part, that's why I posted the link to footballoutsider's DVOA page. They actually measure the defensive efficiency and provide context.Here's additional information if you want to know how DVOA works. Essentially, they're doing what you're doing, only providing even deep analytical insight. I'm not saying they're perfect. Nor do I believe that this team cannot improve its run defense (I watched the films as well). But they are far from being bad as you initially recommended. The main thing that this defense needs is health.
                      Yeah, I get a bit skeptical with all the made up stats. I know theres some value to them I just dont know if it needs to be made more complicated than it is. I'm not saying we were the worst rush D or anything but saying we were top 10 is a stretch. We were middle of the pack at best and we had real holes that I feel like we haven't really filled. I agree about the health being a big factor but Im not sure we did much to address that. Perryman who I love the 50% of the time hes out there (I dont know the exact snap count I'm just making a point) but it just feels like up the middle will be another weak part of this defense. I just really wish Telesco would address the middle of the line with some veteran beef and some MLB quality depth. Ill be rooting for the miracle healthy year from Perryman and if we get it it just might help us go all the way.

Comment

• Heatmiser
                        HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Square is a good depth player, can start in a pinch. Sucked it up for the team and played DE when it was needed and did a decent job there, too. He also is a good fit in the lockerroom and I am sure was pretty cheap. Good signing by Telesco.

TG
                        Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• ~sdc
                          PURA VIDA
                          • May 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

How much of our run defense efficiency was due to Corey Luiget...?
                          He had 14 tackles in 2018.

Comment

Working...
                          X