Clear All
  • Steve
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • South Carolina
    • Meteorologist
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula Two One View Post
    Bird probably comes out of camp as the 3rd ILB, at least for 1st and 2nd downs. But I'm don't think there are many snaps available there.
    Nope, but why would there be. For the most part, you really don't need as much functional depth for the guys who are not pass rushing. Sure, you want one guy who can step in at a position. Ideally, two would be better. But if you had Bird as the 3rd ILB, that is going to be OK for most seasons. If you think of the roster as 22 starters [11 on O, 11 D], and normally 2 guys at each spot that gets you pretty close to the active roster size. Of course, game day rosters vary more. But you can use the 4th ILB spot for some development slot.

I always harp about the depth on DL and OLB because those are positions that you really do need depth. You HAVE to have extra DL and OLB who can rush the passer, not just the starters. I don't care how good a player's conditioning is, no human can expect to play hard on every down and still have any explosiveness in their legs. If you don't believe me, go out and run 60-80 gassers [number of defensive plays in the average NFL game] (all out sprints for about 20-30 yards, with about 45 seconds rest in between), trying to really explode off the start (like a pass rusher would). You just can't do it and be explosive. You can go through the motion and get the workout done, but you will be a lot slower at the end then at the beginning. During the playoffs, some team with a great DL will go into a game, rush the passer well for 3 quarters, then not have any rush late in the game. The OL is tired too, but the DL has to beat the OL, so if both are tired, the tie goes to the OL.

The hard part is that most teams can't even find enough starters who can rush the passer, so finding backups who can also rush the QB is tough too. And if you do find/develop pass rushers, they will leave for big money, and they are still one group that makes big bucks, so finding and developing pass rushers is a constant thing. And since few if any rookies produce at a high level, I don't think that you can just draft them and throw them in, I think you have to draft 1 just about every year and develop them, so that when you need them, they are ready. Fortunately, guys who can run well enough to be pass rushers can also play on ST, so there is room to have them on the roster and they can be active on game days.
    Last edited by Steve; 06-20-2013, 11:23 AM.

Comment

• oneinchpunch
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Bird probably comes out of camp as the 3rd ILB, at least for 1st and 2nd downs. But I'm don't think there are many snaps available there.
      Not really much competition until Smith comes back from injury.
      Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• SDFan
        Woober Goober
        • Jun 2013
        • Dolores, CO
        • Retired
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        Nope, but why would there be. For the most part, you really don't need as much functional depth for the guys who are not pass rushing. Sure, you want one guy who can step in at a position. Ideally, two would be better. But if you had Bird as the 3rd ILB, that is going to be OK for most seasons. If you think of the roster as 22 starters [11 on O, 11 D], and normally 2 guys at each spot that gets you pretty close to the active roster size. Of course, game day rosters vary more. But you can use the 4th ILB spot for some development slot.
        I always harp about the depth on DL and OLB because those are positions that you really do need depth. You HAVE to have extra DL and OLB who can rush the passer, not just the starters. I don't care how good a player's conditioning is, no human can expect to play hard on every down and still have any explosiveness in their legs. If you don't believe me, go out and run 60-80 gassers [number of defensive plays in the average NFL game] (all out sprints for about 20-30 yards, with about 45 seconds rest in between), trying to really explode off the start (like a pass rusher would). You just can't do it and be explosive. You can go through the motion and get the workout done, but you will be a lot slower at the end then at the beginning. During the playoffs, some team with a great DL will go into a game, rush the passer well for 3 quarters, then not have any rush late in the game. The OL is tired too, but the DL has to beat the OL, so if both are tired, the tie goes to the OL.

The hard part is that most teams can't even find enough starters who can rush the passer, so finding backups who can also rush the QB is tough too. And if you do find/develop pass rushers, they will leave for big money, and they are still one group that makes big bucks, so finding and developing pass rushers is a constant thing. And since few if any rookies produce at a high level, I don't think that you can just draft them and throw them in, I think you have to draft 1 just about every year and develop them, so that when you need them, they are ready. Fortunately, guys who can run well enough to be pass rushers can also play on ST, so there is room to have them on the roster and they can be active on game days.
        so you are writing of Mouton as part of the ILB corps? To me Bird is at best 4th ILB option and they'll make every effort to see if Mouton is a keeper or a bust as some here believe.
        Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• Formula 21
          The Future is Now
          • Jun 2013
          • Republic of San Diego
          • Send PM

Originally posted by SDfan View Post
          so you are writing of Mouton as part of the ILB corps? To me Bird is at best 4th ILB option and they'll make every effort to see if Mouton is a keeper or a bust as some here believe.
          Did Mouton impress in the OTAs? That was critical for him.
          Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
          The Wasted Decade is done.
          Build Back Better.

Comment

• Steve
            Administrator
            • Jun 2013
            • South Carolina
            • Meteorologist
            • Send PM

Actually, the guy they may keep as the 4th or 5th ILB is Gachkar. He is such a good ST guy, that I wouldn't put it past them. Plus the guy can run, he might get looked at as a coverage LB. But he will never be a fallback at LB, so it depends a lot on who else they have. If Mouton steps up, then Gachkar has to make it as the extra, ST guy, and we might not keep one of those.

I think they will give Mouton a good long look in TC and then decide. The guy can run and has played well in college, so I don't think they will just cut him, but he is running out of time. The new front office is not attached to him, and he didn't play on ST, which is the biggest sin a backup LB can have. If Mouton can make the various ST, then he has a chance. I think they can afford to carry him as the 3rd/4th LB and see if he develops some. But you cannot carry backups for very long if they can't play on ST.

Comment

• MakoShark
              Disgruntled
              • Jun 2013
              • North Alabama
              • Send PM

I never see, hear or read anything about the guy. Sometimes I forget he's on the team. He's so under the radar its hard to gauge him. I guess that can't be a good thing.
              sigpic

Comment

• QSmokey
                Guardedly Optimistic
                • Jun 2013
                • Kuna, Idaho
                • Retired
                • Send PM

Was Mouton even MENTIONED during OTAs? Once?

Comment

• Steve
                  Administrator
                  • Jun 2013
                  • South Carolina
                  • Meteorologist
                  • Send PM

OTA's are about learning the new scheme, so I don't think that matters. TC is where he has to make the team, just like everyone else. That what TC is.

Comment

• TorchedbyRivers
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Mouton was the awful pick that every draftnik was right in ripping us on. Has he even played in a game ever?

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
                      Grammar Police
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

I checked back to see if the musical referrence we all Bird had in his favor, i see now we are ripping Mouton. Same shit different board...

Truth is Ive been weighting to say that for a few days!

Im the first!!!!1110!0!
                      Go Rivers!

Comment

Working...
                      X