• Show
Clear All
  • Fleet
    TPB Founder
    • Jun 2013
    • Cardiff - Poipu
    • Send PM

Well it looks like its come down to the depth. lol

This offense put ourselves in manageable 3rd down situations yesterday. And then went out and converted. Keeping the ball out of Seattles hands.

This was the type of offense i was talking about when i made this thread. When we are clicking we can do whatever we want.

I think that first game of the year we were just off. Dropped passes. Dropped INTs. I think we have a really bright future.

Comment

• Beerman
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Eastlake
      • Send PM

Originally posted by MakoShark View Post
      The short yardage try with Brown was to the right and Porkchop got beat, IIRC.
      I'm sensing a trend. How long will they go till they make a change to Watt? Don't think I saw Watt miss a block all preseason. He won't make that spectacular pancake that Porkchops occasionally makes, but he just doesn't make mistakes (which was his MO coming out of ND from what we read).

Comment

• Coachmarkos
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • SoDak
        • Technology Director
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Beerman View Post
        I'm sensing a trend. How long will they go till they make a change to Watt? Don't think I saw Watt miss a block all preseason. He won't make that spectacular pancake that Porkchops occasionally makes, but he just doesn't make mistakes (which was his MO coming out of ND from what we read).
        Injuries occur. Watt will be in there in time. We lost Rinehart for some time last year, and Dunlap, and Hardwick is already out for the year. Say something happens to Ohrnburger? Porkchops isn't great, in fact he's kind of bad....but he has moments.
        "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

• Beerman
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Eastlake
          • Send PM

Originally posted by coachmarkos View Post
          Injuries occur. Watt will be in there in time. We lost Rinehart for some time last year, and Dunlap, and Hardwick is already out for the year. Say something happens to Ohrnburger? Porkchops isn't great, in fact he's kind of bad....but he has moments.
          I'm not advocating cutting him, but his repeated missed assignments are a problem. Not to mention his brain seemingly turns off when the team gets in the red zone.

Comment

• Panama
            パナマ
            • Aug 2013
            • London
            • Opera singer and web developer.
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Beerman View Post
            I'm with you. I'd rather have consistently decent play than alternate between awesome and wtf.
            Adipose

Comment

• Steve
              Administrator
              • Jun 2013
              • South Carolina
              • Meteorologist
              • Send PM

I don't think we can make the change until Legursky can play. Right now, Watt is the best backup at C and OG. You start him at OG, he is still the backup C. That is a lot to ask a rookie to be ready to start at one spot, and then with no reps in practice (to get him all the reps at OG), jump over and play C. Once Legursky is ready, I put in Watt right at OG.

Comment

• Fleet
                TPB Founder
                • Jun 2013
                • Cardiff - Poipu
                • Send PM

I think Allen says it best here. This is the type of offense we are capable of running.

"We definitely wanted to come out and show we could go any way we wanted to and that we were in control of the game."

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
                  Grammar Police
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

The Offence

San Diego's offense is one of the most effective and creative units in the NFL right now. Retired NFL player Stephen White sees a team capable of confounding even the best defenses in the league.
                  Go Rivers!

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
                    Grammar Police
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Hit the link for the images of our plays! Good stuff and maybe Steve can add to the breakdown.
                    Go Rivers!

Comment

• Steve
                      Administrator
                      • Jun 2013
                      • South Carolina
                      • Meteorologist
                      • Send PM

The thing to remember is that players don't necessarily go back and watch years and years of film on teams. Most teams have players watch and study the last 4 or so games, although good players study more on their own. I think the Jags and 1st few games are all cases, where we did not dial up all our best calls as often as we might. We are calling some plays to work on getting better at them, and we are trying to give teams false looks and tendencies in film study. By midseason most teams are just cycling through plays and game plans. They have shown you all their best stuff. And for most teams, they have to. But with us, I think we are keeping some stuff in reserve, so that we can dial stuff up when we need it.

An example of that was when we ran a ton of outside zone plays against Denver last year. Prior to that game, we were mostly an inside zone running game. We would run some pitches, and a little bit of outside zone, but then the 2nd Denver game comes along, and that is suddenly our signature play. I am pretty sure Denver would have been a lot better prepared to stop our outside runs if they had seen the outside zone play more. This year, we are going some of the same stuff. Simplier stuff at the beginning, and keep expanding the offense as the year goes on, and the timing gets better. Get the lead and once you are ahead, start to run the clock and put pressure on teams using the clock, not necessarily the play calling.

Comment

Working...
                      X