• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Heatmiser
    HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Mike McCoy

I think the Chargers really got themselves a great coach. Finally. We all noticed when he first got hired that he has the 'it' factor. And I think we were all right. And McCoy is just going to keep getting better and better. And I think he and Telesco have the right temperament to get along for years and not try to be identified as the 'real' reason for the success, as so often happens.

Someone was complaining about Jarret Johnson not playing in a different thread. Two thoughts on that:

1. The birth of a child is one of life's true miracles. It surpasses football games, trust me. I commend Johnson for making the right choice.
    2. If McCoy is going to preach that the Chargers are a family and the organization values families above all else, if he doesn't permit Johnson to miss the game how does he square that? And how do you think Johnson would have played in this game, ticked off about or at least thinking about missing his wife and new baby? Now, Johnson is going to run through brick walls for McCoy. And the rest of the team sees this, too and they understand that McCoy says what he means and means what he says. And in today's NFL, if you want a team of players that keep their noses clean and avoid Peterson-Rice-Gordonitis, concentrating on your family is one of the best ways I know.

TG
    Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.
  • Faded blues
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Aug 2013
    • Send PM

great points all the around.

The team played inspired.

I hope the Johnson's have a new healthy baby to love.

Comment

• thelightningwill
      Go Aztecs and Pads
      • Jul 2013
      • Send PM

I'm the one who complained about Jarret Johnson taking a game off. I think what he did was nonsense. The baby won't remember. If Johnson really thought family was more important than football, why is he going to keep playing football? Shouldn't he retire? I mean - it's not like the baby only exists for one day. I bet the baby would be better off with a healthy Johnson (pun intended) with less NFL PTSD and a less banged-up body. But I also bet Johnson doesn't give a shit about that. He cared about the one day - why? That one day doesn't matter. Women don't need men for that one day. They really don't. It's fucking science. We, as men, really aren't that important.

Oh well. It turns out I was wrong in one aspect. We didn't need Johnson. I mean, maybe he could have prevented that one non-touchdown the Seahawks scored - the one in which the player was out of bounds but some fixer made sure no replay was reviewed. But, maybe, without Johnson, we had a better pass rush. Glad to find out that Johnson is expendable. Glad we overcame the fixer and won.

I think my complaints are rational. But I have a lot of backward thoughts most people think are insane. Like being a Chargers fan.

And Mike McCoy really does seem like a good coach. I hope people can see what's-his-face, the OC last year, really wasn't the difference maker for the offense. It was McCoy.

Go Super Chargers.
      Last edited by thelightningwill; 09-15-2014, 04:53 AM.

Comment

• Millionaire Wussy
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jul 2013
        • Send PM

Easily surpasses football games. And I'm only speaking of when my sister had her first baby.
        For Stinky-Jon-Wizzleteats....

"Pray for strength and healing oh and money!"

Comment

• Heatmiser
          HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

You are entitled to your opinion, Lightning. And I respect you and don't think you are backward thinking just because you had different experiences than me or feel differently than I do. I just don't happen to agree with you on this one. As a father, I can tell you how important that day is and that moment is. And you are right, father hood does not stop after the miracle of birth. It just gets harder. But I take my responsibilities as a father seriously and I think I am repaid ten fold for it by getting to see my kids grow into adults (and all the parts of it are not enjoyable, believe me, but overall it is worth it). Women may not need men during labor, but I think I my wife would have killed me if I was not there. Two things about labor -- (1) women (or really anyone) are not as scientific and rational when they are under tremendous pain and (2) women (at least my wife) have superhuman strength during contractions. You don't want to mess with them. True story -- first baby -- I tell my wife during contractions to just squeeze my hand to deal with the pain. She says ok. Next contraction, she squeezes my hand so hard I can heard things popping and snapping. I think she broke some little bones or something in there. I asked the nurses if they had something she could squeeze instead and they gave her a rolled up towel.

TG
          Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• MakoShark
            Disgruntled
            • Jun 2013
            • North Alabama
            • Send PM

Next to staying married, Fatherhood is the hardest thing I've ever done and I'm not done yet. Getting close though. I think I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Congrats to JJ and his wife!
            sigpic

Comment

McCoy is my favorite Chargers' coach since Coryell. And I'm very happy with Telesco too.

Comment

• thelightningwill
                Go Aztecs and Pads
                • Jul 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by thelightningwill View Post
                I'm the one who complained about Jarret Johnson taking a game off. I think what he did was nonsense. The baby won't remember. If Johnson really thought family was more important than football, why is he going to keep playing football? Shouldn't he retire? I mean - it's not like the baby only exists for one day. I bet the baby would be better off with a healthy Johnson (pun intended) with less NFL PTSD and a less banged-up body. But I also bet Johnson doesn't give a shit about that. He cared about the one day - why? That one day doesn't matter. Women don't need men for that one day. They really don't. It's fucking science. We, as men, really aren't that important.

Oh well. It turns out I was wrong in one aspect. We didn't need Johnson. I mean, maybe he could have prevented that one non-touchdown the Seahawks scored - the one in which the player was out of bounds but some fixer made sure no replay was reviewed. But, maybe, without Johnson, we had a better pass rush. Glad to find out that Johnson is expendable. Glad we overcame the fixer and won.

I think my complaints are rational. But I have a lot of backward thoughts most people think are insane. Like being a Chargers fan.

And Mike McCoy really does seem like a good coach. I hope people can see what's-his-face, the OC last year, really wasn't the difference maker for the offense. It was McCoy.

Go Super Chargers.
                Wait a minute. Was I wrong in one aspect or in one respect? English is so confusing. Glad he's not on the team anymore. Wait. Is it anymore or any more?

Good move by Mike McCoy. You rule, McCoy.

Comment

fender57
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

I don't think McCoy could've done anything to stop JJ anyway.

Comment

• Millionaire Wussy
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jul 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by MakoShark View Post
                    Next to staying married, Fatherhood is the hardest thing I've ever done and I'm not done yet. Getting close though. I think I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Congrats to JJ and his wife!

Don't go to the light. That aint Jesus!

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

For Stinky-Jon-Wizzleteats....

"Pray for strength and healing oh and money!"

Comment

• Bolt-O
                      Administrator
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

JJ's wife was in labor the night before so there's no way he's going to leave her in progress. Baby was born just before the game. McCoy made the right decision to hold him out.

Comment

• Geezbolt
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Sun Valley, ID
                        • Send PM

I like McCoy's demeanor and approach. I listened to him on the pregame radio show. He was asked about the heat and he said it was a great day for a football game. He did not allow any talk of distractions. His approach was positive and he kept reiterating it was a good day to go out and get a win. In short he was focused on one thing and obviously he conveyed it to his team.

Comment

Working...
                        X