• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thelightningwill
    Go Aztecs and Pads
    • Jul 2013
    • Send PM

Strat-O-Matic

Can we limit the Yubaking bash-fest to this thread? It's getting harder to scroll past the arguments and still read the posts I like reading.

People in charge: if this is a dumb idea, feel free to delete this.

Go Chargers.
  • Formula 21
    The Future is Now
    • Jun 2013
    • Republic of San Diego
    • Send PM

Love the thread name.
    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
    The Wasted Decade is done.
    Build Back Better.

Comment

• Millionaire Wussy
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jul 2013
      • Send PM

That's too much. I play in an online Strat-O-Matic baseball league with other folks and in my "Best of the 1970's " Mystery card league (they feature a variety of 70's players with five different cards but only one of them is used for a given season) my team name is "Pt. Counterpointe" with "Dan" (Ackroyd) as manager. I probably shouldn't admit to that but here it is (we play three games a night until 162 games are played total)...

A player...http://onlinegames.strat-o-matic.com...70/1/70/424758
      Last edited by Millionaire Wussy; 09-29-2014, 02:23 AM.
      For Stinky-Jon-Wizzleteats....

"Pray for strength and healing oh and money!"

Comment

• Yubaking
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jul 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by alex View Post
        That's too much. I play in an online Strat-O-Matic baseball league with other folks and in my "Best of the 1970's " league (they feature a variety of 70's players with five different cards but only one of them is used for a given season) and my team name is "Pt. Counterpointe" with "Dan" (Ackroyd) as manager. I probably shouldn't admit to that but here it is (we play three games a night until 162 games are played total)...

That's not too bad. My recollection is that those games do not take very long to play. Do I have that right?

Comment

• Millionaire Wussy
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jul 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Yubaking View Post
          That's not too bad. My recollection is that those games do not take very long to play. Do I have that right?

the line ups (making changes to them) each night are final at 7pm, pst. The results are done within a couple hours (three games against one league opponent). Usually only about an hour and a half is what I notice. it can be fun but also very frustrating at times.

The computer will do all the dice rolling and then after the results come in....you can choose to hide the scores and play the game out (new feature they added recently). It can get very heated between me and my computer or "HAL" as most Strat players refer to the Strat dice rolling computer. You can also set preferences for platooning and other individual player moves such as steal more, bunt more, etc... But sometimes HAL seems to ignore our set preferences and that's when some folks go a little beserk. :banghead:
          Last edited by Millionaire Wussy; 09-29-2014, 01:18 AM.

Comment

• Heatmiser
            HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

I used to play strat-o-matic football in the late 70s early 80s. Would save up my money to buy all the teams and try to play the whole season I didn't have enough money for the game, just the teams (which were expensive) so I made my own board and pieces and scavenged dice from other games. Those were days without internet or satellite TV or NFL ticket. So that game helped me manage my NFL addiction. Hadn't thought about it in years. Thanks ALex.

TG
            Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• MakoShark
              Disgruntled
              • Jun 2013
              • North Alabama
              • Send PM

That's too much. I play in an online Strat-O-Matic baseball league with other folks and in my "Best of the 1970's " Mystery card league (they feature a variety of 70's players with five different cards but only one of them is used for a given season) my team name is "Pt. Counterpointe" with "Dan" (Ackroyd) as manager. I probably shouldn't admit to that but here it is (we play three games a night until 162 games are played total)...

I loved that game growing up. Still have my old set and well over 100 teams. Has it changed much over the years?
              sigpic

Comment

• Millionaire Wussy
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jul 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by MakoShark View Post
                I loved that game growing up. Still have my old set and well over 100 teams. Has it changed much over the years?
                They have a BPHR (BallParkHomeRun) feature along with BPS (BallparkSingles) vs left and right handed hitters. I think that's new from when you played. Maybe not. Here's one season (2013's ballpark numbers)

...http://onlinegames.strat-o-matic.com...ballparks/2013

And this is that playback feature I discussed earlier...

(I'm the Collies) http://onlinegames.strat-o-matic.com...lay/424480/356 You can adjust the playback speed by sliding the square thingy below the picture either to the right (faster) or left (slower)

I also think the fielding has gotten more complex over the years as well as stealing bases along with the aforementioned Stadium (ballpark numbers) additions. You either play in your home ballpark or someone elses (they can be the same ballpark within a given 12-team league).

I actually have a modern board game but have rarely played it because I didn't know which version was best. They have a few options included for you to choose from.

100 teams? Cool! I bet you have some older sets. Maybe the great Yankees teams with Ruth and Gehrig? They have All-Time Greats now. They're up to their eighth version now. http://onlinegames.strat-o-matic.com...set/browse/281 You can click on the players and the card will show up. This set isn't a mystery card version so only one year is listed per player.

Comment

• MakoShark
                  Disgruntled
                  • Jun 2013
                  • North Alabama
                  • Send PM

They have a BPHR (BallParkHomeRun) feature along with BPS (BallparkSingles) vs left and right handed hitters. I think that's new from when you played. Maybe not. Here's one season (2013's ballpark numbers)

...http://onlinegames.strat-o-matic.com...ballparks/2013

And this is that playback feature I discussed earlier...

(I'm the Collies) http://onlinegames.strat-o-matic.com...lay/424480/356 You can adjust the playback speed by sliding the square thingy below the picture either to the right (faster) or left (slower)

I also think the fielding has gotten more complex over the years as well as stealing bases along with the aforementioned Stadium (ballpark numbers) additions. You either play in your home ballpark or someone elses (they can be the same ballpark within a given 12-team league).

I actually have a modern board game but have rarely played it because I didn't know which version was best. They have a few options included for you to choose from.

100 teams? Cool! I bet you have some older sets. Maybe the great Yankees teams with Ruth and Gehrig? They have All-Time Greats now. They're up to their eighth version now. http://onlinegames.strat-o-matic.com...set/browse/281 You can click on the players and the card will show up. This set isn't a mystery card version so only one year is listed per player.
                  I remember the left vs right hand options, but the "Old timers" teams didn't support that. I think that came along in the 80's? And they came out with a different fielding chart at some point and I do have that. It was that game that taught my how to properly manage a scorebook. Good times.
                  sigpic

Comment

• Millionaire Wussy
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jul 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post
                    I used to play strat-o-matic football in the late 70s early 80s. Would save up my money to buy all the teams and try to play the whole season I didn't have enough money for the game, just the teams (which were expensive) so I made my own board and pieces and scavenged dice from other games. Those were days without internet or satellite TV or NFL ticket. So that game helped me manage my NFL addiction. Hadn't thought about it in years. Thanks ALex.

TG

That sounds like too much fun. Never played Strat football but I could go that way. very tempting.

They have ridiculous sixty-sided die now. I have one in my modern baseball game but I always played with three regular die before. It's big clunky thing.

Did you jog your players around the stadium to warm them up? haha It's easy to get into this stuff in a BIG WAY! As you know!

Comment

• Millionaire Wussy
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jul 2013
                      • Send PM

Yuba, I'm sorry. This was supposed to be your thread. Even if somewhat unwelcomed. FWIW, I think Steve was a little rough on you in that Clary thread. But I understand it.

Comment

• Millionaire Wussy
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jul 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post

TG

It's awesome when you get those player sheets in the mail, isn't it! It's like having an...nevermind. It's very cool!

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        😀
                        😂
                        🥰
                        😘
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😞