• Retired
    • Send PM

Rivers for 1/4 season MVP?

somebody thinks so....

At NFL season's quarter mark, who's MVP? Philip Rivers has our vote

USA Today Sports

by Nate Davis, USA TODAY Sports 3 hrs ago



As September comes to a close, most of the NFL's teams (six were on bye in Week 4) are one-quarter of the way through their 2014 schedule. Seems like a good time to assess how the races for individual awards are shaping up:

MVP

1. Philip Rivers: The Chargers quarterback gets a slight nod over Cowboys RB DeMarco Murray. Why? Rivers is the league's most efficient passer (114.5 rating), helped hand the champion Seahawks their worst loss in three years, and he's doing it in spite of the league's most ineffective run game (2.4 yards per carry). Maybe this is the year he joins 2004 draftmates Eli Manning and Ben Roethlisberger as a Super Bowl hero.

2. Murray: His 534 rushing yards eclipse second-place Le'Veon Bell by 156. Dallas' surprising 3-1 start can largely be attributed to Murray's heroics, which have helped keep an iffy defense off the field. He does need to clean up the fumbles and has been (mostly) well complemented by Tony Romo.

3. Steve Smith: His ever-burning fire has lit one underneath the Ravens, who admitted needing a spark in 2013 after the departures of field generals Ray Lewis and Anquan Boldin. Smith's production (AFC-high 429 receiving yards) has also stabilized a team that easily could have been sunk by the Ray Rice fiasco.
    Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:
  • Rugger05
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

With nearly a quarter of the season in the books, we take stock of the MVP race and find some new names at the top. Plus, Steve Smith Sr. torches his old team, Teddy Bridgewater’s brilliant debut, Roger Goodell gets an earful in Texas and the night the football world watched baseball

As we near the end of a strange Week 4 in the NFL (margins of victory this weekend: 31, 24, 28, 24, 3, 7, 6, 21, 19, 13, 5, 21), let’s take stock of the race that’s looking very fun, and very different than usual: the NFL MVP race. Different because the usual suspects—Peyton Manning and Tom Brady, who have won five of the past seven MVPs—have company. At the four-week mark, here’s how I see it:

1. Philip Rivers, quarterback, San Diego. He just keeps getting better. Building on last year’s 5% improvement in completion percentage—stunning for a 10-year vet—Rivers came back after a one-point loss to unbeaten Arizona to strafe three straight foes, most impressivly leading the Chargers to 30 points in a Week 2 win over Seattle. The thing you notice about Rivers now is that his confidence isn’t getting him in trouble the way it did under Norv Turner—he’s forcing very few passes. He’s a 74.5% passer during the three-game streak, with no interceptions.

• PETER KING: Watching Tape With … the Chargers’ Dwight Freeney

2. DeMarco Murray, running back, Dallas. Jerry Jones might have hated picking Zack Martin over Johnny Manziel in May—you know he did—but he wasn’t hating it Sunday night, basking in the glow of a 38-17 rout of New Orleans. “I don’t recall ever seeing a Cowboy team in my 25 years play better, including the effort and including mistake-free execution, than we played in the first half,” Jones said. It’s ball-control. It’s spending high draft picks smartly and conservatively on offensive linemen. It’s handing it to Murray, who can make people miss or road-grade them. He’s got a ridiculous 156-yard lead in the rushing race after four games, and four 100-yard games in the Cowboys’ 3-1 start.

DeMarco Murray is averaging 5.4 yards per carry and has scored five touchdowns in four games. (Tom Pennington/Getty Images)
    The NFL’s leading rusher, DeMarco Murray, is averaging 5.4 yards per carry and has scored five touchdowns in four games. (Tom Pennington/Getty Images)
    3. J.J. Watt, defensive end, Houston. What else can a defensive player do? Watt has caught a touchdown pass, blocked an extra point, had two sacks, forced an intentional grounding, batted down two passes, returned a leaping interception 80 yards for a touchdown, recovered a fumble and, on Sunday against Buffalo, had nine quarterback pressures of E.J. Manuel. It’s Sept. 30, and 3-1 Houston has already won more games than it did in all of 2013. Credit Watt.

4. Russell Wilson, quarterback, Seattle. At the helm of the best team in football, Wilson has completed 69% of his passes, thrown just one interception and done what he had to do when he had to do it. Four runs and four completions were what it took to drive the length of the field on the first possession of overtime to beat Denver in Week 3. John Stockton never led the NBA in scoring, and Wilson will never lead the NFL in passing yardage. Wilson is a point guard, an excellent one.

5. Peyton Manning, quarterback, Denver. It was either Manning or Andrew Luck, with some sick numbers, here. The six-play, 80-yard, no-timeouts-left, 41-second drive to tie Seattle eight days ago clinched it for Manning. Just a guess: Manning will finish higher than fifth in the balloting for MVP in three months.

Comment

• ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

The thing you notice about Rivers now is that his confidence isn’t getting him in trouble the way it did under Norv Turner
      Peter King can even be wrong when he's heaping praise on one of our guys.

Comment

• Rugger05
        Administrator
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR View Post
        Peter King can even be wrong when he's heaping praise on one of our guys.
        I actually agree with Petey boy here. I remember reading an interview with McCoy or someone who said "We are trying to teach Phillip that a completion of 2 yards is sometimes better then throwing a jump ball 40 yards downfield" or something like that. Phillip seems more adept at taking what the D is giving him compared to trying to force the issue sometimes

Comment

• TTK
          EX-Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • America's Finest City
          • Send PM

The hype is growing.

Comment

• ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Rugger05 View Post
            I actually agree with Petey boy here. I remember reading an interview with McCoy or someone who said "We are trying to teach Phillip that a completion of 2 yards is sometimes better then throwing a jump ball 40 yards downfield" or something like that. Phillip seems more adept at taking what the D is giving him compared to trying to force the issue sometimes
            But the implication is that the problem was Rivers. I think the real issue was that the offense Norv Turner ran didn't fit our personnel and it put PR in a lot of positions to force things. The newer offense plays to our personnel's strengths. And the short game, ball-control approach fits us better. So I'm not sure the change is n Rivers or that it was all Rivers' fault during his rut. He had no running game and a pathetic o-line and Turner called all that slow developing shit, which is pretty stupid when you have a QB with the mobility of late stage Joe Namath.

Comment

• Beerman
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Eastlake
              • Send PM

It was probably a combination of both. No QB probably wants to throw it 3-4 yards per attempt.

In any case, what he's doing now is working. I just hope our WR's health hold up to permit him to keep doing this all year. It's amazing what having a viable 2nd outside WR has brought to the offense.

Comment

• MakoShark
                Disgruntled
                • Jun 2013
                • North Alabama
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Rugger05 View Post
                If all the receivers are 40 yards downfield (Norv system) and no one is available to check down to, what choice did Rivers have?
                sigpic

Comment

• BlazingBolt
                  SLAM DUNK!
                  • Jun 2013
                  • East County San Diego
                  • Bolt fanatic
                  • Send PM

I am pretty sure at 56-40 Norv has the highest winning percentage in Franchise history in the Superbowl era as well as the being the most successful coach in post season history (tied with Ross at 3-3) and had our offense routinely as one of the top units in the league.

He was far from the disaster most fans want to remember him as simply because he had a loser head coach reputation when he got here and because the team was 14-2 the year before he was hired.
                  migrated from chargerfans.net then the thenflforum.com then here

Comment

• Panamamike
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by BlazingBolt View Post
                    I am pretty sure at 56-40 Norv has the highest winning percentage in Franchise history in the Superbowl era as well as the being the most successful coach in post season history (tied with Ross at 3-3) and had our offense routinely as one of the top units in the league.

He was far from the disaster most fans want to remember him as simply because he had a loser head coach reputation when he got here and because the team was 14-2 the year before he was hired.
                    He also routinely failed to qualify for the playoffs with a talented roster. He never coached UP a team, but he did coach them down. One thing he was able to do is remain calm when the team started out shitty.....which he had a hand in as well. I will say he had a great record in November and December.

Comment

• BlazingBolt
                      SLAM DUNK!
                      • Jun 2013
                      • East County San Diego
                      • Bolt fanatic
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Panamamike View Post
                      He also routinely failed to qualify for the playoffs with a talented roster. He never coached UP a team, but he did coach them down. One thing he was able to do is remain calm when the team started out shitty.....which he had a hand in as well. I will say he had a great record in November and December.
                      That is the subjective part rooted in Norv hatred....the team was talented and should be doing better. Why do we think that? Because of 14-2 and Norv sucking in Wash and Oak. This is a year to year league. McCoy is getting praise heaped on him for going 9-7 and lucking in to a playoff spot on missed field goal to beat a JV Chiefs team and multiple teams melting down the stretch. The difference between what McCoy accomplished last year and what Norv had been getting done previously wasn't that great and I do think Telesco has improved the team since Norv and AJ got fired.

I also think Norv and AJ should have been fired I just don't think this team is night and day as far as coaching goes. McCoy lost some stinkers last year but he beat Denver and Cincy and that's all people remember. The main thing about Norv is he took a team that could not win in the post season and got them over that hump....maybe injuries robbed him from going all the way and being remembered as the greatest coach in franchise history.
                      Last edited by BlazingBolt; 09-30-2014, 12:06 PM.
                      migrated from chargerfans.net then the thenflforum.com then here

Comment

• TTK
                        EX-Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • America's Finest City
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by BlazingBolt View Post

The Bolts won in spite of Norv. Rivers and LT are the reasons they did so well.

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        😀
                        😂
                        🥰
                        😘
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😞
                        😡
                        👍