• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • blueman
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

I get the sneaking suspicion, we're gonna end up seeing more Oliver than Brown the next few weeks.

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
      No Sir, I Dont Like It
      • Jun 2013
      • Section 457
      • Migrant Film Worker
      • Send PM

Get Up Offa That Brown logo:
      Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
      sigpic

Comment

• thelightningwill
        Go Aztecs and Pads
        • Jul 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Mister Hoarse View Post
        Get Up Offa That Brown logo:
        Papa's got a brand new Brown.

Comment

• Steve
          Administrator
          • Jun 2013
          • South Carolina
          • Meteorologist
          • Send PM

If there is another RB injury, you bring him in because he can be ready in a week. But he is close to being done. His only value is that he already knows the O. And while that is big, that is not enough for a guy with declining skills.

Comment

• Boltdog
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Lunar Surface
            • Nutrition Consultant
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula Two One View Post
            I think Brown could be a useful 3rd down back, but RBs are not our problem. The O line has to play better.
            When Woodhead went down, we lost Rivers' best 3rd down option, a RB who had the knack to get open with good hands, and be able adapt to whatever blitzes or coverages that were set against our offense. Ronnie Brown has much of the same skill-set as far as getting open--No other RB on the current roster has really shown that skill. If another RB goes down, Ronnie has to be considered in order to keep some continuity going for Rivers--Brown knows our offense and wouldn't require weeks to get familiar. Teams and fans had thought Ronnie was toast 3 years ago, but he somehow kept contributing after MIA dumped him. Hopefully the RBs we have stay healthy and Matthews is ready to go later this month, but you never know...
            Last edited by Boltdog; 10-03-2014, 05:11 AM.
            Fighting for Carson...and Wilmington...ity:

Comment

• OhioBolt
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltdog View Post
              When Woodhead went down, we lost Rivers' best 3rd down option, a RB who had the knack to get open with good hands, and be able adapt to whatever blitzes or coverages that were set against our offense. Ronnie Brown has much of the same skill-set as far as getting open--No other RB on the current roster has really shown that skill. If another RB goes down, Ronnie has to be considered in order to keep some continuity going for Rivers--Brown knows our offense and wouldn't require weeks to get familiar. Teams and fans had thought Ronnie was toast 3 years ago, but he somehow kept contributing after MIA dumped him. Hopefully the RBs we have stay healthy and Matthews is ready to go later this month, but you never know...

If we get to the point Mathews isn't ready and we have another injury we are really in bad shape if we are talking Ronnie Brown. It isn't like the Texans have a wealth of talent at RB, Arian Foster seems to have gotten old fast being injury riddled, and the back up is Blue, and they have no room for Brown on there roster speaks volumes as to Ronnie Brown skill level at this point in his career.

Comment

• Formula 21
                The Future is Now
                • Jun 2013
                • Republic of San Diego
                • Send PM

Originally posted by OhioBolt View Post
                [/B]

If we get to the point Mathews isn't ready and we have another injury we are really in bad shape if we are talking Ronnie Brown. It isn't like the Texans have a wealth of talent at RB, Arian Foster seems to have gotten old fast being injury riddled, and the back up is Blue, and they have no room for Brown on there roster speaks volumes as to Ronnie Brown skill level at this point in his career.
                or Houstons' coaching
                Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                The Wasted Decade is done.
                Build Back Better.

Comment

• Steve
                  Administrator
                  • Jun 2013
                  • South Carolina
                  • Meteorologist
                  • Send PM

I don't think Ronnie Brown adds anything more then Donald Brown or maybe Oliver. Yes, he can catch passes on 3rd down, but he is not the type of quick slashing run after the catch guy that Woodhead was. Ronnie Brown can catch some dumpoff stuff, some swings, and screens. But so can almost anyone.

The big thing Ronnie adds is that he knows our pass protection. We have the weapons to make up some of the gap from Woodhead in the Wr and TE. Those groups can be utilized more and will pick up some of the slack. But there is no RB we could get that adds what Woodhead did. There is a real shortage if we could pick any RB off of any roster. So, this idea that we can replace Woodhead is just silly. If we are going to fill in for him, some of that production is going to have to come from our other positions, or the RB we have. Sure our RB will get some of it, but no one if going to replace Woodhead.

Again, the only thing Brown adds is that he knows our pass protection, and if someone else goes down, it is worth bringing him in, just because he can suit up again and play with a weeks notice. You bring in someone new, it takes them several weeks, and that is too long. The only other option is if AZ cuts Grice, which I don't see happening.

Comment

• ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

I re-watched the Seahawks game yesterday and it's like night and day watching our offense without Woodhead and Mathews. Those guys really make the offense go. They both do something that none of our remaining backs do. They can run into a brick wall where our line gets almost no push and sort of somehow squirt through and carry guys with them. You almost wonder how they gain positive yardage. And obviously, both are so skilled in the passing game.

In watching, though, I almost wondered if the best way to go without Mathews would be to make Oliver our Mathews and Brown the Woodhead. Brown is a skilled pass catcher and can make moves in space. But he's not a guy to run dive plays with. Oliver can move the pile. Obviously pass pro is another component and I dont have insight on what they can do there. But I feel like that might be the best approach in terms of replacing the missed guys.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      😀
                      😂
                      🥰
                      😘
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😞
                      😡