• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Panamamike
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Thoughts on the game and season thus far

Impressive. People can down play this because "it was the Jets...blah blah bllah...", but to have a team that is so short manned due to injuries, go out and dominate a team like they did today was AWESOME.

1) TT and team depth: what more can anyone say? Riddled with injuries, we have the depth (and a coaching staff that prepares for injuries) and mental toughness to over come the injuries and play good football. It is so strange to use toughness and Chargers in the same sentence, and damn it feels good! IF we ever manage to get somewhat healthy, this team is very dangerous. His ability to fill holes with guys off the street in the past two seasons, in addition to his drafting has been a HUGE reason why we have been able to pay through injuries.

2)Secondary: This may be the best secondary we have had in my 35 years watching the BOLTS. The ability to actually play press coverage instead of wish and talk about it, yet also have the player versatility to play off zone is great. It helps disguise coverage and blitz from positions we normally have not in the past. I hope Flowers loves it here, enjoys his mates, and wants to stick it to KC twice a year, because he fits very well in this scheme.

3)Oline: While not great, the patchwork line s doing enough to get the job done. That was a helluva D line we faced today, and we carved them up on the ground and in the air. I hope Ohrnberger is back next week. We need him to stabilize the middle. At a bare minimum we need him the week after vs KC.

4) Oliver: Way to take the bull by the horns. His style works well in this system. Patience...then decisive cut and head down hill. He also did well in protection and showed some hands. What a memorable first NFL game. Could anyone ask for more?

5) Gates: Canton awaits....I hope the wait is longer than many predicted. Speed was never his calling card; his use of his body, rapport with Rivers, and his film study finding weak areas in the D will keep him productive as long as his legs hold out.

6) Coaching staff: Top to bottom this group is doing a great job...outstanding. This team appears prepared to play. They have done a great job of having backups ready to step in. They have done a great job of getting everyone to buy into the systems. Their weekly game planning has been spot on. I am extremely impressed with his group.

7) Defense: D line played an awesome game. Hats off to the men in the trenches.

Weather the injury storm. After our bye week in week 10, we have a tough finishing schedule. Get healthy...get ready. This team could develop into something extremely special. Just my .02

I agree on all counts. I'd also add special teams in there because they've playing playing amazingly almost all of the time.

Comment

• Heatmiser
      HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

I agree and good points. I also feel that the decision making of the front office and coaching staff is outstanding. The best I have seen.

Signing relatively cheap, but big upgrade, players at depth positions
      Great drafts
      Preparing players to play multiple positions
      Making tough roster decisions and making the right call - Tutu (he has become an absolutely deadly gunner and that catch and move yesterday was awesome. Something Osgood could never do), Oliver (recall it was neck and neck between him and Grice)
      Creating an atmosphere where players campaign to sign a star like Flowers
      Letting Jarret Johnson be with his wife and new baby
      Working the waiver wire to shore up the ridiculous amount of injuries

McCoy is hokey and all in his speeches, but you get the feeling he really practices what he preaches. And I think that is why the team plays so hard for him. He is a genuine person, not some phony rah-rah bravado guy. And I think he really cares about his players, men, and their families.

My only concern is that the Chargers will have to let a really good player go to sign someone off the street at a position of need. But nothing can be done about it.

TG
      Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• MakoShark
        Disgruntled
        • Jun 2013
        • North Alabama
        • Send PM

Novak is approaching a Bolt record for consecutive FG's. And Scifres is doing that punter thing he does. Good call SC.

You nailed it Panamamike.
        sigpic

Comment

• ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by SuperCharger View Post
          I agree on all counts. I'd also add special teams in there because they've playing playing amazingly almost all of the time.
          Great point. I've been thinking the same thing. IIRC we held them inside the 20 on every kickoff except one. Ajirotutu, Stuckey, Conner have all been amazing. Gachkar continues to make plays downfield, as well. But the overall units have just been nails.

Comment

• ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post
            He is a genuine person, not some phony rah-rah bravado guy. And I think he really cares about his players, men, and their families.
            He's also an upgrade over a stubborn, whiny, over-matched, aloof, milquetoast who was fine with throwing his players under the bus.

Comment

• Panamamike
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

I agree....a glaring omission on my part.

Comment

• Millionaire Wussy
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jul 2013
                • Send PM

I agree and good points. I also feel that the decision making of the front office and coaching staff is outstanding. The best I have seen.

Signing relatively cheap, but big upgrade, players at depth positions
                Great drafts
                Preparing players to play multiple positions
                Making tough roster decisions and making the right call - Tutu (he has become an absolutely deadly gunner and that catch and move yesterday was awesome. Something Osgood could never do), Oliver (recall it was neck and neck between him and Grice)
                Creating an atmosphere where players campaign to sign a star like Flowers
                Letting Jarret Johnson be with his wife and new baby
                Working the waiver wire to shore up the ridiculous amount of injuries

McCoy is hokey and all in his speeches, but you get the feeling he really practices what he preaches. And I think that is why the team plays so hard for him. He is a genuine person, not some phony rah-rah bravado guy. And I think he really cares about his players, men, and their families.

My only concern is that the Chargers will have to let a really good player go to sign someone off the street at a position of need. But nothing can be done about it.

TG
                I wonder how much it's the quality of our player leaders (Weddle, JJ, Rivers, Gates, Flowers, and others) vs. McCoy. I'm not saying at all that McCoy doesn't have a considerable hand in getting this team cohesive and fired up every week but I wonder if he doesn't delegate most of that "be prepared" stuff to his troops (player leaders) more than trying to be that voice from on high each week. It sure is working wherever it's coming from!
                For Stinky-Jon-Wizzleteats....

"Pray for strength and healing oh and money!"

Comment

• OhioBolt
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

When you have as many players injured as we have and you keep plunging in players I say a lot of credit goes to coaching especially on the O-line there isn't a lot of talent once you get past the original starters but they get the job done. Maybe Pagneo just needed some players on D, and to think Ingram, Attoucha, Wright, and Johnson all missed games this season says something, big difference is the secondary, and we are getting better pressure on QB even though we aren't racking up a lot of sacks. Rivers is Robo-QB he is making all the right reads and adjustment, clean pocket he has been deadly, pocket collapsing he still is stepping up and making throws or running for a few yards. Scary thing about this team we haven't been healthy. Attoucha hopefully returns by the KC game if not ready for the Raiders this week. Then the cavalry call when we get key players back, Wright Mathews, Ingram and Clary who will be welcomed back with all the injuries on the O-line. Look out then and see what kind of team we really have, Denver don't take claim to that division so quickly, they may beat us the first go around but second time we should be a full strength and it will be a different story.

Comment

• Heatmiser
                    HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by alex View Post
                    I wonder how much it's the quality of our player leaders (Weddle, JJ, Rivers, Gates, Flowers, and others) vs. McCoy. I'm not saying at all that McCoy doesn't have a considerable hand in getting this team cohesive and fired up every week but I wonder if he doesn't delegate most of that "be prepared" stuff to his troops (player leaders) more than trying to be that voice from on high each week. It sure is working wherever it's coming from!
                    I see your point, Alex, but all of those guys (except Flowers) played for Norv. So either Norv was not a strong enough leader to trust his vets or McCoy is the real McCoy. By the way, really love Flowers. What a great add to this team, on the field and in the lockerroom. Almost singlehandedly turned the secondary into a bunch of swaggering superstars.

TG
                    Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• Millionaire Wussy
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jul 2013
                      • Send PM

I see your point, Alex, but all of those guys (except Flowers) played for Norv. So either Norv was not a strong enough leader to trust his vets or McCoy is the real McCoy. By the way, really love Flowers. What a great add to this team, on the field and in the lockerroom. Almost singlehandedly turned the secondary into a bunch of swaggering superstars.

TG
                      I was liking what Rivers was saying about being tough individually and being that way together throughout the season. Something like that. It seems like we got great attitude players combined with considerable skills - along with high energy - together with McCoy's focus on team concept. Seems like a perfect blend of attitudes and talent.
                      For Stinky-Jon-Wizzleteats....

"Pray for strength and healing oh and money!"

Comment

• bonehead
                        Undrafted
                        • Jul 2013
                        • TBD
                        • Retired
                        • Send PM

This!!! Tutu was amazing yesterday.
                        Forget it Donny you're out of your element

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        😀
                        😂
                        🥰
                        😘
                        🤢
                        😎