Collapse
First Prev Next Last
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Crow View Post

Probably misread you.

You're saying as president, he should be saying it's their right even if he doesn't like it?

I read you to say he should have said the crazy shit he said. Ha.

My fault.
    The first one. I cant do much for the bat shit crazy stuff he says and tweets. I can just hope he learns to be presidential (I know, not happinin)....

No thing... it happens to me all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Concudan View Post

The first one. I cant do much for the bat shit crazy stuff he says and tweets. I can just hope he learns to be presidential (I know, not happinin)....

No thing... it happens to me all the time.
      If he weren't so dangerous, he'd be borderline hilarious.

Comment

Russell Okung weighs in

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/ru...l-nfl-players/

RUSSELL OKUNG
        OFFENSIVE TACKLE / L.A. CHARGERS

Fellow NFL Players,

By now youíve likely read the commissionerís letter addressed to NFL executives and have seen reports about the leagueís upcoming meetings. It occurs to me that any attempt to respond collectively as players is complicated by numerous challenges, and that our options for speaking with one voice are limited. This means we can either wait until we receive our respective marching orders, speak up individually, or find a way to collaborate and exercise our agency as the lifeblood of the league.

Over the past few years, Iíve thought a lot about how we might have a meaningful conversation together. I wish it were as simple as public perception would have you believe ó that we all have each otherís cellphone numbers and hang out together on a regular basis. Since thatís not the case, I hope this letter reaches as many active players as possible, and serves as a catalyst to convene a conversation among those of us who are uncomfortable having important decisions made without us in the room.

Things have clearly gotten out of control. As a pragmatist, I will admit, I initially doubted the merits of Colin Kaepernickís protest and questioned his strategy.

I was wrong.

There is now no doubt in my mind that what he did last season was a courageous, prophetic, self-sacrificial act that has captivated a nation and inspired a powerful movement.

If I had his cellphone number, I would tell him that.

As Kapís message has now been distorted, co-opted and used to further divide us along the very racial lines he was highlighting, we as players have a responsibility to come together and respond collectively. But how can this happen practically?

The uncharted territory weíre dealing with requires us to innovate if we are to effectuate any meaningful change ó if we are to look back at this moment with pride when our grandkids ask us one day how we responded to the circumstances we now face. This requires some sober self-reflection and a greater awareness of what is limiting our effectiveness.

Ours is a unique dynamic. The NFL Players Association, for better or worse, is limited in its capacity to ďunifyĒ our interests. Unlike a traditional labor union, the foundational nature of our relationship to each other is defined by fierce competition and learned opposition. The system is designed to keep us divided and to stifle our attempts to collaborate ó weíre made to see each other as the enemy. Indeed the system celebrates when it puts us at odds with one another.

As a competitor who loves the game, I can appreciate this aspect of the league to a certain extent. But the current controversy is obviously about much more than football.

PHOTO BY JAE C. HONG/AP IMAGES

Currently, the will of the players who align with Kapís message is being diluted. Rather than our collective voice prevailing in a way that spans the league, you are seeing individual teams respond separately to the protest in 32 different ways. Itís telling that these decisions are being made at the team level and not being driven by the interests of the players collectively. Some teams are standing and locking arms. Some are staying in the locker room. And some are now being banned from protesting altogether. While many of us can be grateful that our ownership groups donít take direct orders from the President, we are also aware that the owners are much more united than we are as players.

Player protests have caused such a disturbance that the NFL has now chimed in and prioritized discussions on this topic for next weekís meetings.

Owners have the ability to quickly and efficiently communicate, collaborate and align their objectives to serve the broader interests of the shield. By and large, they are carrying out a strategy to this end, regardless of how it impacts us as players and regardless of how much it reflects our actual will. I donít mean this to sound disparaging or suspicious of all NFL owners. Again, itís just an observation of how the system is designed. It is, in many ways, what we all signed up for.

While I donít have all the answers as to how to ensure we are not robbed of this moment, I am convinced that we will never make progress if we do not find a way to come together and take action that represents the will of the players. What we have is strength in numbers. But our strength is currently not being leveraged because we have no means of direct communication that is not ó in some way, shape or form ó controlled, monitored or manipulated by outside forces.

So hereís my idea: Letís open up a line of communication just between us, and be ready to respond with one voice as players. Letís transcend the ďnaturalĒ divisions that have been defined by the league and sanitized by a fictional narrative of competition above all else.

Now, I canít exactly put my phone number or email address in this letter for obvious reasons. But thereís another way to start moving things forward. Iím going to initially lean on Twitter, the preferred social tool of our day, and attempt to connect us with each other. If you follow me (@RussellOkung), I will follow back and DM you next steps for collaboration. From there, we can build out and discuss options for a better way to communicate with one another going forward.

Again, I donít have all the answers, but Iím hoping to help facilitate some practical next steps by first addressing our limited ability to communicate.

I look forward to hearing from you on the Presidentís favorite medium. Until then, stay strong.

Much love,

RO

RUSSELL OKUNG / CONTRIBUTOR
        Watch your Chargers anywhere, even if the game is blacked out. Watch PPV's live, TV, Movies, live tv, etc.

www.streamsmart.tv and use promo code

Promo Codes:
        Pro: bolts
        S4 Plus: rivers

Comment

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2...states-america

Comment

Okung is an Idiot.

Discuss.
            Chagras Got no barg!!!!!!!

Comment

Someone leaked that Bob McNair, owner of the Texans, said in the NFL meeting ď[w]e canít have the inmates running the prison.Ē

Texan players threatened a walkout, but didn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post
                Someone leaked that Bob McNair, owner of the Texans, said in the NFL meeting ď[w]e canít have the inmates running the prison.Ē

Texan players threatened a walkout, but didn't.
                Fire all the SOBs then!. And I think the term is inmates running the ASYLUM, not prison. Something lost in translation there....
                Chagras Got no barg!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SDfan View Post

Fire all the SOBs then!. And I think the term is inmates running the ASYLUM, not prison. Something lost in translation there....
                  Yeah, by saying prison, McNair probably made the situation worse, as it implied that the owners are the 'screws'. Texans play the Seahawks, who are a mouthy bunch and will probably co-opt with the Texan's players for what ever they do. Sherman said that the players would have walked if they had guaranteed contracts. All this kneeling stuff really has gotten away from what ever message Kaepernick intended by his initial disgraceful stunt.

I didn't comment previously about Okung, previously, as he actually stands during the National Anthem. I don't mind the Black Power salute, it's kind of harmless and doesn't disrespect the country. On the other hand, think of the hoo-hah if some idiot decides to throw a "Sieg Heil". Okung is a victim of those who still play the race card as the cause of all ills in the country, and here he is, a millionaire because he can play a sport at a high level.

Comment

It is going to be hard, Fleet, to let this thread go without breaking your rules.

Comment

gonna leave this here as have seemingly been smushed/excused from the UT forum and may be enduring the same fate at the CMB.

was responding to Charging Bolts query as to why I had a 49er as my avatar, and of which I replied that it was Eric Reid (kneeling) and that I could expand on things if he wished....

ChargingBolts.... please do, you guys buddies?

not sure what your comment has to do w/anything, other than being snide, and.... personally happen to (really) disagree w/the way peoples of a non white complexion are oft treated and with how we go about criminalizing poverty and our blatant bias in housing black males in inordinate numbers in privatized prisons, and which oft involves cases of extreme violence and brutality, including murder and complete disregard for the law, let alone a person's dignity and basic human rights.

they are also portrayed incorrectly in the media as being anti NFL and anti American, when they are anti oppression and a living indictment for what ails this country and most all the world.... a belief in separation and our false sense of superiority.

most don't agree, albeit I wish instead of being berated and begrudged, that these players were instead supported by the NFL as rightly representing a group of peoples that has long languished under the weight of an undue oppression.

instead of being persecuted and imprisoned, these people need to have afforded them the dignity and due justice that any other American expects and is rendered. we are missing out on a valuable resource and asset in our brothers and sisters of another complexion.

Scandinavian prisons are virtually empty as they have no economic incentive nor apparent racial bias inherent to their prison and legal system. something has to give and it may as well start w/the NFL and their most impactful roster of predominantly black athletes.... yes bless,

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/02/sports/football/colin-kaepernick-kneels-national-anthem-protest.html

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/colin-kaepernick-challenges-sports-nationalism-and-our-notion-of-it-as-safe-space/2016/09/04/7a312dac-71fd-11e6-be4f-3f42f2e5a49e_story.html?utm_term=.0ecd90c73cd5

https://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Society/2016/0905/For-Colin-Kaepernick-protest-kneeling-down-means-reaching-out

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000691077/article/colin-kaepernick-explains-why-he-sat-during-national-anthem
                      Last edited by beachcomber; 01-31-2019, 01:57 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X