• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bolt-O
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

R.I.P. Stan Lee, 95, former Editor-in-Chief, Publisher and Chairman of Marvel Comics.

Comment

• SDFan
      Woober Goober
      • Jun 2013
      • Dolores, CO
      • Retired
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post

I don't know. Did anyone of note to you die recently? We all mourn the senseless mass murder this last Saturday, but there are others, like the active duty sailor who was shot and killed by some cretin, after he approached his car thinking he needed assistance.
      I think we owe Aretha Franklin some R E S P E C T in here
      Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• Bolt-O
      Administrator
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

R.I.P. Roy Clark,85, country music great, and co-star of Hee Haw.

Last edited by Bolt-O; 11-15-2018, 02:08 PM.

Comment

• SDFan
        Woober Goober
        • Jun 2013
        • Dolores, CO
        • Retired
        • Send PM

Houston Texans owner Bob Mcnair, 81.

Comment

• Bolt-O
          Administrator
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

His biggest accomplishment football wise was building an expansion team, while keeping out of the football side of things. I guess his sympathy for the old Oiler fans made it easy to overlook the LA market, but maybe there wasn't a big enough bidder for that expansion slot for LA...or no one could build in LA back then. He wasn't very PC regarding 'SJWs', which probably is ok with about half of the population.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
            Smooth Operation
            • May 2017
            • Send PM

Does anyone remember the circumstances under which the expansion Texans became the NFL's 32nd team in 1998-9 ?

That honor had originally been awarded to Los Angeles, only to have the LA group fail in developing a concrete stadium plan !!
            You don't know ball

Comment

• Gwynning_Spirit
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2013
              • Send PM

He wasn't very PC regarding 'SJWs', which probably is ok with about half of the population.
              There's the quote for his headstone.

RIP, Bob.

Comment

• Bolt-O
                Administrator
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
                Does anyone remember the circumstances under which the expansion Texans became the NFL's 32nd team in 1998-9 ?

That honor had originally been awarded to Los Angeles, only to have the LA group fail in developing a concrete stadium plan !!
                I suspect it maybe more that McNair was able to get Houston on board with financing the sports facilities to replace the Astrodome through a T.O.T. tax, and no LA basin community was willing to pay for a stadium. Same old story, not enough grease for the pols.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                  Smooth Operation
                  • May 2017
                  • Send PM

I suspect it maybe more that McNair was able to get Houston on board with financing the sports facilities to replace the Astrodome through a T.O.T. tax, and no LA basin community was willing to pay for a stadium. Same old story, not enough grease for the pols.
                  Gotta love California politics.

No doubt the business friendly thinking in Texas was THE factor.

It was all very fateful and telltale for us Charger fans, wasn't it Bolt-O ?
                  You don't know ball

Comment

• SDFan
                    Woober Goober
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Dolores, CO
                    • Retired
                    • Send PM

No, it was multiple competing LA bids and the NFL wanted them to consolidate and settle on 1 solid proposal. The old crabs in a bucket thing where the 1 about to escape over the top is pulled back in by others below him. There were bids headed by Magic Johnson, Anschuz and others and proposals for new stadiums downtown, Chavez Ravine and elsewhere- ALL with solid $ backing and heavyweight ownership groups leading them. The NFL extended the deadline at least once to give these groups time to decide among themselves if they could combine or decide on who had the best proposal for the NFL- and they all refused to work together. McNair had a solid but underwhelming bid package on the table in case the LA groups couldn't get their shit together, and ultimately the big FAIL in LA left the NFL no choice but to award the franchise to McNair.

Comment

• Bolt-O
                      Administrator
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

R.I.P Paul Sherwen, 62, former pro cyclist and broadcaster. He had been the co-voice of the Tour De France for decades with his partner Phil Liggett.

Last edited by Bolt-O; 12-02-2018, 03:49 PM.

Comment

• Charged4Life
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Oct 2017
                        • Send PM

Damn, my Mom, Jacquelin (Jackie) Couch passed away early Friday morning the 30th of November. I'm actually sort of relieved to be honest. She was bed-ridden and wasting away. And also had noticeable dementia. I can't imagine she was enjoying life too much. So YAHOO. That's my victory shout for Mom as she enters heaven to be with all those that love her unconditionally.

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        😀
                        😂
                        🥰
                        😘
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😞
                        😡
                        👍