• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Millionaire Wussy
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jul 2013
    • Send PM

Okay, that was informative!

Bering a desert resident since 1986 I've seen plenty of coyotes - but always from a safe distance (usually from either the comfort of the local bus or too far off while walking for it to notice me). Until about a half hour ago.

While walking from my apartment complex I noticed this particular coyote sniffing around 25-30 yards in front and to the right at the very edge of my apartment complex. I didn't think I was in any danger as I thought the coyote would scatter the opposite direction as soon as it noticed me. Being that I was walking towards it - but not directly - I thought any moment now it will run away. ha!

Mr. Coyote did NOT run away. As I continued walking in essence towards this coyote it became clear to me it wasn't going anywhere. When I gave it a long look after noticing it wasn't running away I saw it just stare at me. And by this time I'm maybe 10 feet away from it. And it's an adult sized coyote. I'm a little scared as I don't have anything on me that is remotely designated as self-defense. By this time I was hoping for roadrunner to show up. I kid! But we have those too.

Anyways, as I hauled ass walking up the sidewalk I turned my head and kept walking with my head turned because Mr. Coyote was following me. Fuck! Now I'm looking for a long stick of some sort. Nothing available. Then I see some rocks and dig in for a handful. Well, apparently that sound of rocks hitting each other (landscaping gravel type rocks) frightens otherwise bold coyotes. It literally disappeared after that. But it's still pretty dark out so I'm thinking he's going to cut through the open field (aside from creosote bushes it's open field) and ambush me. But no. I made it home.

After thinking about it some I wonder if he was looking for a handout meal or something because I recall seeing a coyote walk into an apartment complex late at night a few months ago and I can't imagine one doing that unless it's somehow been rewarded for it. But I didn't have any coyote treats on me.

I wonder what would have happened if I hadn't picked up the rocks. Would he have come even closer to me? Does he even fear people at all? I believe this particular coyote was probably hand-fed by someone. He just wasn't very skittish at all.
    Last edited by Millionaire Wussy; 10-20-2016, 04:15 AM.
    For Stinky-Jon-Wizzleteats....

"Pray for strength and healing oh and money!"
  • Gwynning_Spirit
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jul 2013
    • Send PM

I see them in the morning sometimes and they usually will run away when they see people; I think they're usually sniffing around for water since it's so dry everywhere.

Comment

• Millionaire Wussy
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jul 2013
      • Send PM

A couple more things on the coyote encounter yesterday morning...That coyote was beautiful. I wanted to pet the darn thing in the worst way. I was really close to it. I was crossing a street and it was already in the middle of the street. And it was still the whole time. It didn't seem agitated at all. How do you tell if a coyote is upset? This one just stood there looking at me as I looked at it. We had a bonding experience. I know that sounds funny but that's what it felt like. I really didn't want to hurt it at all so I'm glad it went away quickly after I picked up those rocks. They are beautiful creatures up close.

Comment

We've had a couple of coyote related things recently - I took my youngest son to a Cub Scouts campout, and while we were there, we visited a nature center, where they had a coyote (and some goats, foxes, a beaver, etc). The coyote kept rubbing along the chain link fence right in front of me like a cat, like he wanted to be pet. So I poked my finger through and scratched his back leg, and then he started to growl the scariest growl I've ever freaking heard - so of course, I retracted immediately. The other morning, my wife went out in front of our house, and one of our Halloween decorations is a gigantic Stay-Puft Marshmallow Man inflatable. My wife thought there was a dog sniffing it / checking it out, so she went to shoo it, and realized it was a coyote, so she went back inside until it took off.

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
          No Sir, I Dont Like It
          • Jun 2013
          • Section 457
          • Migrant Film Worker
          • Send PM

How is Mr Staypuft, Ok?
          Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
          sigpic

Comment

He's just fine!

Comment

• Millionaire Wussy
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by SuperCharger View Post
              He's just fine!

Damn! That thing is YUGE!

Comment

• Millionaire Wussy
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jul 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by SuperCharger View Post
                We've had a couple of coyote related things recently - I took my youngest son to a Cub Scouts campout, and while we were there, we visited a nature center, where they had a coyote (and some goats, foxes, a beaver, etc). The coyote kept rubbing along the chain link fence right in front of me like a cat, like he wanted to be pet. So I poked my finger through and scratched his back leg, and then he started to growl the scariest growl I've ever freaking heard - so of course, I retracted immediately. The other morning, my wife went out in front of our house, and one of our Halloween decorations is a gigantic Stay-Puft Marshmallow Man inflatable. My wife thought there was a dog sniffing it / checking it out, so she went to shoo it, and realized it was a coyote, so she went back inside until it took off.
                That's scary. I don't like growling. Freaks me out. A relative of mine says she actually took a coyote in as a pet! And he growled for her too.

Nancy -- "I had a pet coyote, when I was younger. One day, when I came home from school, it had "turned." Sometimes wild animals just realize they aren't meant to a "pet." Now, that I'm older, I understand, that I shouldn't have had it as a pet. Found it in a corner in the hall growling at anyone who came near, except me. I called a friend of ours, who came over and we took it way, way, out in the forest and let it go. Of course, I was very sad about it. But, deep down, I knew I did the right thing. Today, there might be other ways of handling it, or organizations, that could help. But, back then, there wasn't. They don't generally attack people, like wolves. But, they do growl and snarl, when they are afraid. That's my coyote story. PS You've missed your calling, Fred. I've now read several things you've written. You should be a writer. For real."

Comment

Originally posted by Millionaire Pussy View Post
                  That's scary. I don't like growling. Freaks me out. A relative of mine says she actually took a coyote in as a pet! And he growled for her too.

Nancy -- "I had a pet coyote, when I was younger. One day, when I came home from school, it had "turned." Sometimes wild animals just realize they aren't meant to a "pet." Now, that I'm older, I understand, that I shouldn't have had it as a pet. Found it in a corner in the hall growling at anyone who came near, except me. I called a friend of ours, who came over and we took it way, way, out in the forest and let it go. Of course, I was very sad about it. But, deep down, I knew I did the right thing. Today, there might be other ways of handling it, or organizations, that could help. But, back then, there wasn't. They don't generally attack people, like wolves. But, they do growl and snarl, when they are afraid. That's my coyote story. PS You've missed your calling, Fred. I've now read several things you've written. You should be a writer. For real."
                  This is pretty close to what it sounded like. I thought it was possessed. LOL

Comment

• Millionaire Wussy
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jul 2013
                    • Send PM

The coyote I saw looked really peaceful. Had that calm look in it's eye. So yeah, it would have freaked me out if all of a sudden I heard it do what you're describing, SC.

Comment

Originally posted by Millionaire Pussy View Post
                      The coyote I saw looked really peaceful. Had that calm look in it's eye. So yeah, it would have freaked me out if all of a sudden I heard it do what you're describing, SC.
                      This one at the nature center did too. The staff said they pet him all the time and were also surprised when he growled. It was more of a poke through the fence & scratch than petting though.

Comment

• sandiego17
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

How did Nancy manage to bring home a pet coyote without the adults freaking out?

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        😀
                        😂
                        🥰
                        😘
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😞
                        😡
                        👍