• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Millionaire Wussy
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jul 2013
    • Send PM

Myers for Cole Hamels?

I have to laugh. Preller is like a runaway horse. You just hope and pray he doesn't run into something hard.

9:00pm: Sources within the Padres organization indicate that the team does have interest in Hamels, but plans to keep Myers …
    For Stinky-Jon-Wizzleteats....

"Pray for strength and healing oh and money!"
  • SFW
    PB Official Game Thread Starter
    • Jul 2013
    • NY
    • USMC
    • Send PM

Hamels is a legit ace and would be an awesome addition to this team. He is under team control through 2019 and gets around 30 starts every season. The two biggest issues for me would be 1) I can't see them having enough money to pay Kemp and Hamels long term and then extend Upton to a new contract. 2) How much would we have to give up for him? Guessing something like Myers, Casher and top prospect. Maybe they would take back a bad contract like Maybin or Quentin.

If Preller can make it work I am all for it though.
    1) Jason Verrett (CB) TCU
    2) Demarcus Lawrence (OLB) Boise St
    3) Will Sutton (DT) Arizona St
    4) Jarvis Landry (WR) LSU
    5) John Urschel (OC) Penn St
    6) Shamar Stephen (DT) UConn
    7) Brock Coyle (ILB) Montana

Comment

• Millionaire Wussy
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jul 2013
      • Send PM

This gets a little hairy for me. I would give them Wisler and Myers but no way on any current Padres major league starting pitcher. If we're in it to win it this season that would not make a lot of sense. I know Cashner has rebuffed extension talks (with Byrnes) but he may come around once he sees how good this team is.

Comment

• JDA21
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

not sure I like giving up Myers AND Cashner/top prospect..I feel comfortable with our pitching staff as it stands now.

Comment

• Millionaire Wussy
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jul 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by JDA21 View Post
          not sure I like giving up Myers AND Cashner/top prospect..I feel comfortable with our pitching staff as it stands now.
          How much Philadelphia kicks in to cover the salary add for us would be the mitigating factor determining the full player exchange for Hamels. If the Phillies give us no money in return then they aren't getting much in addition to Myers - I would think. Really seems like we'd have to clear some salary for this kind of trade to happen. Seth Smith seems the likely candidate to deal beforehand. I don't see anyone paying most of Q's remaining contract. Might need to keep Maybin with Myers traded off.

Comment

• Millionaire Wussy
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jul 2013
            • Send PM

This message is from "FENN" at scout.com Padres board (I love his trade proposal)...

"I will add this based on my post on the other topic.

Would not be surprised if Preller was trying for a deal that yielded Hamels (#1 SP) AND Revere (LHH, base-stealing, CF, for the lead-off spot). That combo would cost a bunch … Hamels 4 years control plus an option and Revere has 3 years control.

Myers is a good start … just to balance the $$ a bit Maybin (they will need a CF) … then the prospects (quality / quantity dependent on the level they buy down Hamels' contact) … Liriano (Byrd is about gone as their RF and Brown is zip in LF) … Spangenberg (Utley is close to being gone) or Gyorko (if including him really reduces the other prospects the mix) … and probably a pitcher like Erlin … then a couple of second tier types like Hancock and Rea. A lot depends on the the money exchange.

I could be comfortable with a Myers … Gyorko … Maybin … Erlin … Hancock … Rea type deal. Power plays in Philadelphia which makes Myers / Gyorko appealing plus they are ML tested and each with 5 years of control. Spangy takes 2B and a 1-2 of Revere - Spangy would put speed on the bases in front of Kemp - Upton - Norris - Middlebrooks. That would also leave Preller the opportunity to deal Smith for a) SS upgrade or b) in a package to get C.Davis.

How about a line-up of:

Revere (L)

Spangy (L)

Kemp

Upton

Davis (L)

Norris

Middlebrooks

SS TBD

and a SP staff of:

Hamels (L)

Ross

Cashner

Kennedy

Morrow

Might just be competitive."

Comment

• Fleet
              TPB Founder
              • Jun 2013
              • Cardiff - Poipu
              • Send PM

Aging Hamels for a player that has the potential to be one of the best hitters in the league and is under control until 2019? Ill take Myers.

Comment

• Millionaire Wussy
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jul 2013
                • Send PM

It looks like the rumor was half right. Padres do have interest in Hamels but want to keep Myers. The Myers inclusion was a rumor started by a Phillies sportswriter.

Comment

Working...
                X