• RobH
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Tokyo, Japan
    • University English Lecturer
    • Send PM

Originally posted by TBF View Post
    Yup... It was all Bud Black...

Sure glad we made that 1/3 of the season firing!
    I'm not sure if this was in response to my post, but if so, I never meant that I disliked BB. I thought he made some questionable decisions, but no more than any other manager that I've ever seen. I would have liked to have seen them give him a chance to right the ship while they were playing against teams that were not in the top of the league. Our schedule up to the point where he was fired was pretty brutal. Almost every series was with an above .500 team. My point about passion was seeing the coach out there scuffling. And I don't care who it was. I've Black get kicked out a few times as well for arguing, so I know he was plenty passionate. I'm pretty sure BB can take the pick of any type of job he would like in the next year. We may even see him end as an assistant GM or GM, if that's the direction he wants to go. He's highly respected around the league.

Comment

• RobH
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Tokyo, Japan
      • Send PM

Originally posted by 6025 View Post
      Some grumblings now that we should think about trading away some of the talent we acquired, namely Kemp (not sure who'd take him) and Justin Upton (no!) for prospects. I'm tired of prospects, let's figure out what we need now and build up, not down.
      We got guys like Myers, Norris, Middlebrooks, and others. I think that there is a core there that can be worked with. Kemp is untraceable, I think, unless we pay an awful lot of his contract. I don't think he's going to be MVP material again, but I think he can be a better player than he's shown this year so far. I think they should deal Cashner as soon as possible. He didn't want to sign a long-term deal with us, and I think he's still got a year or two before FA, so we could get some decent young talent back for him. Melvin Upton is going to be a deadweight, and I can only pray that he can hit something like .250 and play great CF for us. We'll never be able to get rid of that contract. A lot of decisions for Preller to make, but I think it's still a tad too early for major changes. I'd like to see how they come out of this 10-day road trip, and if it looks like there's some life left in the team, then maybe I don't do too much, and I just let them try and make a run. I would definitely be in talks with a lot of different people about J. Upton and Cashner, though.

Comment

fender57
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Good night for Gyrko. Looks like the stint in the minors did him good.

Comment

• TABF
          Por debajo del promedio
          • Jun 2013
          • SoCal
          • Send PM

Originally posted by 6025 View Post
          Good night for Gyrko. Looks like the stint in the minors did him good.
          Jury still out... He hit well while down, however big league arms are far far different ... anyone that can throw a average slider has Jed and Kemp by the balls! The book on them is so easy it kills me. Typical hard in-soft away works far too often.

Comment

• richpjr
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Nashville
            • Send PM

Are they even trying any more? They fall to 9 games under .500. They have scored 11 runs in the first 7 games of the road trip. I am still dumbfounded that they can be this bad. What's scary is we will lose the good Upton and will be killed by the Kemp and Upton contracts for years to come.

Comment

• RobH
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Tokyo, Japan
              • Send PM

Every game has been close except for today at the end. It's been hard to watch, that's for sure. I'm guessing that Preller is working the phones pretty hard right now, and trades are coming. We've got some valuable pieces to move that should bring us back some ML-ready ballplayers. I think they're going to have to eat the Melvin contract. He's going to be the most expensive fifth outfielder in history. It was nice to see Cashner have two good games in a row. I think a lot of teams would love to have him for the rest of this year and next year. Kennedy should bring us a decent prospect if he throws well his next time out. I'd hate to see them dump Ross. I think he can be good for us for a long while. Also, Hedges and Norris have value, and I can't see us sticking with both of them for long. Alonso may have value, and we've got a couple guys in the minors that I'd like to see get a shot. They've got legitimate power.

It's going to be an interesting three weeks. One thing for sure, Preller doesn't seem like a guy who's going to sit around and let the moss grow between his toes.

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

Seems like the Pads replaced Black with a worse version of Black. What's up with the crazy lineups?
                The pitching, it seems, has got better without Black. The hitting, though, is worse.

Oh well. Still a fan. I'm happy the ownership seems to care - even if all that caring hasn't yet made us any better. I hope we keep spending the money to try to win.

The general manager, however, seems to have used all the owners' money on the wrong players. I can't say I'm impressed with AJ Preller so far. Maybe we should have hired the chick.

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

Solarte, rad homer today.

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

So, the first part of the season ends exactly the opposite as it started.

Jerko looks good; Norris looks terrible.
                    The pitching shows promise; the hitting doesn't.

I did have my biggest question answered: Was Bud Black's constant effing of the lineup a Bud Black thing or an MLB thing. And the answer was: an MLB thing. My apologies to Bud Black. You weren't as bad as I feared. We're actually worse without you.

So, new question. Did we make the right decision in firing Black and then mess that up by hiring somebody worse? Or was Black as good as it gets?

Comment

fender57
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Engine Engine Number 420 View Post
                      So, the first part of the season ends exactly the opposite as it started.

Jerko looks good; Norris looks terrible.
                      The pitching shows promise; the hitting doesn't.

I did have my biggest question answered: Was Bud Black's constant effing of the lineup a Bud Black thing or an MLB thing. And the answer was: an MLB thing. My apologies to Bud Black. You weren't as bad as I feared. We're actually worse without you.

So, new question. Did we make the right decision in firing Black and then mess that up by hiring somebody worse? Or was Black as good as it gets?
                      Black had to go. The mistake was hiring Murphy, but at least he's an "interim" manager at this point.

They were close to hiring Dusty Baker when they decided on Black in 2007. I think he's worth a look-see. An old school manager who can handle a veteran team.

Canepa mentioned Ozzie Guillen. I think the guy is certifiably insane, but if the team is tanking because they're sulking over Black's firing, he'd light a fire under them.

Dave Roberts has intrigued me but now I'm wondering if he's more in line with the Black style of managing, a style I'm not too keen on.

Everything is metrics-based now. There's a place for it but I feel like it's way too much these days.

Comment

fender57
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Oh, and I hear Terry Kennedy is doing well in the minors as a manager. Even though Dick Williams made reference to "having to change <his> diaper" while managing him.

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

Kemp, Jerko, and Upton hit home runs today. Shields wins. Kimbrel saves. I think this is the way it was supposed to be.

Comment

Working...
                          X