I think the formula is there in my humble opinion...

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Highboltage
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
    In 10 of our losses we scored 20 points or less. With Rivers.

Fix the Oline.
    Fixed it for you.

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
      No Sir, I Dont Like It
      • Jun 2013
      • Section 457
      • Migrant Film Worker
      • Send PM

Fix Rivers.
      Give Mrs Rivers some rest.
      Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
      sigpic

Comment

• KNSD
        Registered Charger Hater
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Fix the WR corp.
        Fixed again.
        Prediction:
        Correct: Chargers CI fails miserably.
        Fail: Team stays in San Diego until their lease runs out in 2020. (without getting new deal done by then) .
        Sig Bet WIN: The Chargers will file for relocation on January 15.

Comment

• Beerman
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Eastlake
          • Send PM

We didn't win dick when we had a great offense either.

For once, build the defense.

More takeaways, better field position, more possessions. All lead to better opportunities to score points.

And we could you know, switch to an offense that actually uses max protection packages and incorporates a full back. The only reason our offense remained terrible, is because zero adjustments were made. We don't have the personnel to run a wide open passing attack.
          Last edited by Beerman; 02-11-2016, 01:19 AM.

Comment

• Steve
            Administrator
            • Jun 2013
            • South Carolina
            • Meteorologist
            • Send PM

I would argue that we didn't have a great offense. We were good, but definitely not great. We had our weaknesses.

There are two problems with buying into this formula crap. Building a GREAT defense is it is going to take a while, and we may not be able to do it until we have some more top 5 draft picks. There is no Von Miller in this years draft. Bosa is a good player, but I don't think he is going to have the impact that Miller has a pass rusher. He just is not nearly as explosive. And we may not get to draft him at all. He is a much better 43 player then 34 guy, IMHO, so we might go somewhere else.

There are plenty of SB teams that have won with a combination of a good offense and good defense. This idea that we have to HAVE to have a great defense is bullshit. Carolina had one on one matchups downfield on almost every play all game long. But their pass protection was not good because they have an OL that is full of road graders who don't pass block very well, Cam is not a very accurate passer and Carolina has one of the worst WR corp in all of football after Benjamin got hurt.

The idea of switching to a fullback has merit, but unless that FB is any good, it will probably just backfire. Lining up heavy and just trying to ram the ball down people's throats will too. The reason our offense sucks is because we cannot run block well enough to run the ball. IT's not philosophy as much as having our OL. We just fall behind on down and distance because even if we string a couple good runs together, our OL let the RB get hit in the backfield, or commit a hold, and then we have to throw. That is why running offense are dying out, because unless you have a dominant group of run blockers, who can bully the other teams DL, then sustaining a run game is very difficult.

The problem isn't the style of offense at all. The problem is our OL is not very good, and only played part of the 1st game healthy. We have to find a way to get a group together and get them to line up play after play. If we want to load up with TE and FB and run more traditional plays, we need to find guys who can block. You can't line up and run behind Antonio Gates and think you are going to sustain a running game.

I'm not saying we don't need some help on D, but we have invested a lot of time and draft picks on D the last few years, and we have a group starting to come together. We need as much help on O, because we aren't going to have a D that can rush the QB like Denver, and cannot count on having an opponent who plays matches up and fails to react to the flow of the game the way Carolina did with Denver.
            Last edited by Steve; 02-11-2016, 03:35 AM.

Comment

• bonehead
              Undrafted
              • Jul 2013
              • TBD
              • Retired
              • Send PM

Seems like we have a lot of holes to fill in a short time....Our DB situation is looking kinda weak.....I know Steve is not of fan of the PFFocus folks but I think we can glean something from their stats....Flowers and Addai were honorable mentions as worst at their position, Mager looked good but is unproven and Weddle is gone, Verrett of course is a stud, but man doesn't look good from here....Scifres for the record worst rated Punter at PFF

I think a quick fix of the Oline might be a way to go: resign Barksdale to a reasonable contract and sign FA Mack at center ( I know 9-10 million is a lot ). That would be a great start along with some draft picks..Think about it, do you want to start next season with Watt and Robinson battling it out for starting Center??
              Forget it Donny you're out of your element

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

Originally posted by bonehead View Post
                Seems like we have a lot of holes to fill in a short time....Our DB situation is looking kinda weak.....I know Steve is not of fan of the PFFocus folks but I think we can glean something from their stats....Flowers and Addai were honorable mentions as worst at their position, Mager looked good but is unproven and Weddle is gone, Verrett of course is a stud, but man doesn't look good from here....Scifres for the record worst rated Punter at PFF

I think a quick fix of the Oline might be a way to go: resign Barksdale to a reasonable contract and sign FA Mack at center ( I know 9-10 million is a lot ). That would be a great start along with some draft picks..Think about it, do you want to start next season with Watt and Robinson battling it out for starting Center??
                People seemed fine with that last year. I wonder if that attitude has changed.

Until the Spanoses hire a new GM and coach, they are going to keep losing.
                Last edited by Guest; 02-11-2016, 08:45 AM.

Comment

fender57
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Engine Engine Number 420 View Post
                  People seemed to fine with that last year. I wonder if that attitude has changed.

Until the Spanoses hire a new GM and coach, they are going to keep losing.
                  A friend of mine, who is superstitious, has offbeat theories on the Chargers, like they always lose at home if it's overcast (like the 1980 AFC Championship game). One of his other theories is the Chargers success runs in cycles. He was beside himself when Norv got fired because to him it was the end of THE Cycle. He figures every 10-12 years the Chargers get good, have a few years of playoffs, then go on another 10-12 year down cycle. 1979-1982, followed by 1992-1995, followed by 2004-2009. So by his estimation we won't be good again until 2019/2020. 2013 broke his theory, but in his mind that was an anomaly. I've given up arguing this with him; I wish Spanos would do something to break this cycle but short of selling this team to an owner who knows how to win I'm not seeing this cycle broken myself. This cycle is akin to "even a broken clock is right twice a day".

Comment

• OhioBolt
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

The D improved the second half of the season, but still needs to improve in these 3 areas

1. Stopping the run
                    2. Get consistent pass-rush
                    3. Turnovers - we didn't have a lot fumble recovery or INT's we had the big turnover game against Denver and still lost

The O-line is just so dam unpredictable do to us always having injuries going into 2015 there was optimism that Dunlap was a solid LT, Fluker would improve moving to guard, and Franklin was suppose to improve the OL at guard being the big FA pickup. Center is a need, and Tackle is a need. If the line was healthy would we would of been 8-8 in 2015?

Comment

• Millionaire Wussy
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jul 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by 6025 View Post
                      It is, but if they pull a Leaf and move up two spots (by presumably giving up more draft choices) the criticism hurled their way would be well deserved.
                      Then we'd be relying on good fortune. Hope it happens.
                      For Stinky-Jon-Wizzleteats....

"Pray for strength and healing oh and money!"

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

Pulling a Leaf?
                        I'd prefer we pull a Tomlinson, only with better use of those extra draft picks and not dumping our second round pick the moment before he becomes a superhero.

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
                          No Sir, I Dont Like It
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Section 457
                          • Migrant Film Worker
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by 6025 View Post
                          A friend of mine, who is superstitious, has offbeat theories on the Chargers, like they always lose at home if it's overcast (like the 1980 AFC Championship game). One of his other theories is the Chargers success runs in cycles. He was beside himself when Norv got fired because to him it was the end of THE Cycle. He figures every 10-12 years the Chargers get good, have a few years of playoffs, then go on another 10-12 year down cycle. 1979-1982, followed by 1992-1995, followed by 2004-2009. So by his estimation we won't be good again until 2019/2020. 2013 broke his theory, but in his mind that was an anomaly. I've given up arguing this with him; I wish Spanos would do something to break this cycle but short of selling this team to an owner who knows how to win I'm not seeing this cycle broken myself. This cycle is akin to "even a broken clock is right twice a day".
                          Even A Broken Cycle Can Be Dragged Onto A Bus
                          - ConfuseUs
                          Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X