What's your take on the Gay Men's chorus thing?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

What's your take on the Gay Men's chorus thing?

Mine?

An honest mistake by the club since they were obviously trying to be Inclusive by having the night and previous appearances by the choir.

Can't speak to the intentions of the DJ that screwed up and can't understand why it wasn't stopped or at least apologized for immediately followed by the right track so the guys could do their lip-synch and move on?

Response by leader of GMC? A 'hate crime?' Are you kidding me? Trying to hop up controversy because of a screw-up by a team trying to break through barriers. Seems a little over the top/counterproductive to me.

Response by MLB/Padres: nit sufficient to this point. Padres really should have been more on top of it once it was over.
    fender57
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

I think the SDGMC was most stung by the derogatory comments hurled at them as they walked off the field. I agree with the gist of your take.

Gwynntelligence had an interesting take.

On Saturday night at PETCO Park, The San Diego Gay Men’s Chorus was supposed to perform the National Anthem in front of a sold out crowd of 40,221, including over a hundred friends and family. The …

Comment

• Millionaire Wussy
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jul 2013
      • Send PM

I probably have a unique take on this...I hate the fact that a national anthem is played at a sporting event in the first place. With so many countries producing players for the Major Leagues why not come up with a World Anthem? I have to ask myself what relevance an American National anthem has for a Cuban ballplayer. How about a Japanese or South Korean player? What could it possibly mean for them? ZIP! NOTTA! NOTHING!

So if it has something to do with our National Anthem at a sporting event I say it's not relevant.
      For Stinky-Jon-Wizzleteats....

"Pray for strength and healing oh and money!"

Comment

• Bolt-O
        Administrator
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

I think its a overreaction from a few people that want to appear as victims. I'm sure they felt offended, but they already had that mindset as being persecuted. For a group that wants to be included as mainstream, why name themselves a "gay men's chorus"? How about just a "men's chorus" or "chorus"?

These guys are 'profiting' from their supposed persecution.

Comment

Yea. I think the Pads were rad for setting it up, and the fans who were dicks about it were definitely penises.

I like Alex's comments on ditching the national anthem. I mean - I know there are probably legit people, veterans especially, who take the song seriously right before a football or baseball game, but I think most people don't. I'm sorry - hitting a ball or throwing a sideline pass isn't patriotic and neither action should require a bunch of people to serenade it with our national anthem.

I don't want a world anthem either. I'd like to just drink a beer and watch the Pads kick some ass. Save the national anthem for when the marines show up.

Comment

fender57
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Looks like the SDGMC is taking a step back from their seek and destroy mission when the Pads DJ fell on his sword.

Comment

• Millionaire Wussy
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Bleeding Vagina Who Should Be GM View Post
              Yea. I think the Pads were rad for setting it up, and the fans who were dicks about it were definitely penises.

I like Alex's comments on ditching the national anthem. I mean - I know there are probably legit people, veterans especially, who take the song seriously right before a football or baseball game, but I think most people don't. I'm sorry - hitting a ball or throwing a sideline pass isn't patriotic and neither action should require a bunch of people to serenade it with our national anthem.

I don't want a world anthem either. I'd like to just drink a beer and watch the Pads kick some ass. Save the national anthem for when the marines show up.
              For those veterans that actually fought for their country - I'm a vet but I didn't fight anywhere - I guess I can see some sort of tribute being made ONCE IN A WHILE. If those that have fought for their country are going to be recognized at a game then what about people who fought for other countries - that are in attendance? Where is their celebration?

And my heart goes out to anyone that has fought for their country - any country.
              For Stinky-Jon-Wizzleteats....

"Pray for strength and healing oh and money!"

Comment

Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by 6025 View Post
                Looks like the SDGMC is taking a step back from their seek and destroy mission when the Pads DJ fell on his sword.

http://mlb.nbcsports.com/2016/05/24/...bcs&yptr=yahoo
                I thought it was a hate crime? Didn't have much credibility to begin with, now even less.

Padres didn't handle this very well but neither did the choir. Seems like their real issue was being asked to buy tickets. Was that different from the other 5 times they sang? Different for others?

Comment

fender57
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR View Post
                  I thought it was a hate crime? Didn't have much credibility to begin with, now even less.

Padres didn't handle this very well but neither did the choir. Seems like their real issue was being asked to buy tickets. Was that different from the other 5 times they sang? Different for others?
                  I read an account that claimed other solo singers had received tickets gratis for singing. I don't know about the choir but it seems like last time they sang they were allowed to get in for free (because the complaint from the choir was the fee would decimate their budget as it is a volunteer organization, and it appears this was not an issue last year when they sang) and the Pads didn't want to give away a bunch of tickets, so they sprung the fee demand at the last minute. Bad form by the Pads but they did rescind the fee demand so the real issue was the SDGMC felt the Pads were exacting revenge on them.

Comment

Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by 6025 View Post
                    I read an account that claimed other solo singers had received tickets gratis for singing. I don't know about the choir but it seems like last time they sang they were allowed to get in for free (because the complaint from the choir was the fee would decimate their budget as it is a volunteer organization, and it appears this was not an issue last year when they sang) and the Pads didn't want to give away a bunch of tickets, so they sprung the fee demand at the last minute. Bad form by the Pads but they did rescind the fee demand so the real issue was the SDGMC felt the Pads were exacting revenge on them.
                    The revenge angle is silly, esp in light of what they were trying to accomplish. Doesn't square with outreach.

But the ticket thing is kind of bad. If you invite them, it's ostensibly as guests of the team and in lieu of payment, otherwise they could be out earning donation money somewhere else. Is it offensive? Not exactly, but definitely tone-deaf. Another screw up along with the actual on-field fiasco.

Comment

Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Apparently, we're not the only ones capable of utter stupidity.

The Cubs say they have fired an employee who played an inappropriate song after Aroldis Chapman pitched the ninth inning of Sunday's loss to the Cardinals.

Comment

fender57
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR View Post
                        Apparently, we're not the only ones capable of utter stupidity.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/1...pitched-sunday
                        Lol I saw that. Gotta love them Cubbies.

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        😀
                        😂
                        🥰
                        😘
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😞
                        😡
                        👍