• Show
Clear All
  • Stinky Wizzleteats+
    Grammar Police
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Why trading down makes sense for Telesco

By Eric D. Williams | April 19, 2014 11:45:00 AM PDT

Good morning. As we try to predict what player or positional need the San Diego Chargers could fill with the team’s No. 25 overall selection in this year’s draft, there’s a chance general manager Tom Telesco could trade out of the first round all together.

And while that doesn’t make for an exciting experience for fans attending Chargers draft parties on Day 1 of the draft, scooping up an extra pick could help Telesco fill in depth for this year’s team, especially with no compensatory picks this year.

At No. 25, the Chargers sit in front of a QB-needy team in Cleveland at No. 26. So San Diego sits at one of potential trading points of the first round, particularly if a team like Jacksonville, Oakland or Houston didn’t get their quarterback at the top of the first round, and now wants to trade back into the end of the first round to draft someone like Teddy Bridgewater, Johnny Manziel, Blake Bortles or Derek Carr.

As ESPN Jaguars beat reporter Mike DiRocco indicates, Jacksonville had Bridgewater back for a second visit. The Louisville quarterback fits Gus Bradley’s offensive system. And from Bradley’s experience in Seattle with Russell Wilson, he understands how important it is to have good leadership and a strong work ethic at the quarterback position.

But the Jaguars probably will not pull the trigger at No. 3 on Bridgewater. Jacksonville has 11 picks overall, including the seventh pick in the second round (39th overall), so they have enough draft ammunition to trade back up into the first round to select someone like Bridgewater.

The Jaguars probably will not use all 11 picks, and can afford to lose a pick in order to get the player they want.

Getting ahead of a team that needs a quarterback like Cleveland would be advantageous for Jacksonville. And Jaguars general manager David Caldwell has a good relationship with Telesco from their time working together in Indianapolis.

Actually, the two have known each since their high school days at St. Francis in Buffalo, and played college together at John Carroll University, where Telesco played receiver and Caldwell played linebacker.

Both the Chargers and the Jaguars probably run similar draft boards, so putting a deal together should not be too complicated. According to this draft chart, the Jaguars could trade their second round pick (39) and third-round selection (No. 70) for San Diego’s first round selection (No. 25).

The trade would give San Diego four picks in the sweet spot of this year’s draft, at 39, 57, 70 and their own third round selection at No. 89. According to ESPN draft analyst Todd McShay’s top 150 draft prospects , the Chargers could still fill the team’s most obvious needs in the second round.

Cornerbacks like Nebraska’s Stan Jean-Baptiste or Lindenwood’s Pierre Desir are still available. Interior offensive lineman like Nevada’s Joel Bitonio and Xavier Su’a-Filo likely will be on the board.

Pass rushers like Auburn’s Dee Ford or Oregon State’s Scott Crichton could be available in the second round.

Or San Diego could get a playmaking receiver like Indiana’s Cody Latimer or Vanderbilt’s Jordan Matthews at this point of the draft. By trading down, the Chargers could give themselves an opportunity to add three impact players in Day 2 of the draft.
    Go Rivers!

Comment

• SFW
      PB Official Game Thread Starter
      • Jul 2013
      • NY
      • USMC
      • Send PM

I would be really happy if the Chargers were able to make that trade with Jax. Getting four picks between #39 to #89 could really fill an immediate need or two, add great depth and help build the team long term.
      1) Jason Verrett (CB) TCU
      2) Demarcus Lawrence (OLB) Boise St
      3) Will Sutton (DT) Arizona St
      4) Jarvis Landry (WR) LSU
      5) John Urschel (OC) Penn St
      6) Shamar Stephen (DT) UConn
      7) Brock Coyle (ILB) Montana

Comment

• Formula 21
        The Future is Now
        • Jun 2013
        • Republic of San Diego
        • Send PM

I'm always happy to get 1st round WR talent. They're your offensive playmakers.
        Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
        The Wasted Decade is done.
        Build Back Better.

Comment

• SDFan
          Woober Goober
          • Jun 2013
          • Dolores, CO
          • Retired
          • Send PM

Originally posted by SFWfromESPN View Post
          I would be really happy if the Chargers were able to make that trade with Jax. Getting four picks between #39 to #89 could really fill an immediate need or two, add great depth and help build the team long term.
          concur
          Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• SDFan
            Woober Goober
            • Jun 2013
            • Dolores, CO
            • Retired
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula Two One View Post
            I'm always happy to get 1st round WR talent. They're your offensive playmakers.
            not so much on the Chargers since we had LT and Gates who used to be the top pass catchers until VJ gave us a couple decent years and a fluke year here and there from a McCardell or Chambers.. We presently have Mathews, Gates, Woodhead, Allen, Green as top playmakers who will touch the ball the most already. Added DBrown too and even if you don't like them we have VBrown and Tutu as experienced vets in the WR group already and there's only so many passes per game to go around. Remember, the offense wasn't costing us wins like the defense was last year and we're probably stronger now.

Now if TT can steal a 1st round talent in the 3rd or 4th I'm all for it, but would not prioritize it ahead of pass rush and CBs.
            Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• Panamamike
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

I agree on the Abuelo 12 y old. Yes Zacapa is an extremely delicious Guatamalan rum.

Comment

• Formula 21
                The Future is Now
                • Jun 2013
                • Republic of San Diego
                • Send PM

Originally posted by SDfan View Post
                not so much on the Chargers since we had LT and Gates who used to be the top pass catchers until VJ gave us a couple decent years and a fluke year here and there from a McCardell or Chambers.. We presently have Mathews, Gates, Woodhead, Allen, Green as top playmakers who will touch the ball the most already. Added DBrown too and even if you don't like them we have VBrown and Tutu as experienced vets in the WR group already and there's only so many passes per game to go around. Remember, the offense wasn't costing us wins like the defense was last year and we're probably stronger now.

Now if TT can steal a 1st round talent in the 3rd or 4th I'm all for it, but would not prioritize it ahead of pass rush and CBs.
                i have no problem taking a future star at wr for next year or the year after. I'd like to maximize the talent around Rivers while he's still here. But you have to be pretty confident the wr is star material, not just another guy.
                Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                The Wasted Decade is done.
                Build Back Better.

Comment

• blueman
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by SDfan View Post
                  Remember, the offense wasn't costing us wins like the defense was last year and we're probably stronger now.
                  The offense was totally costing us games last year. Any offense that finishes the majority of its drives into the red zone without scoring a TD is brokey, would love to think we have the pieces to reverse that but it's 90% the same pieces from last season w/o a playmaker added, so... draft a playmaker WR seems an obvious and priority need.

Defense kept us in a number of games last season the offense couldn't finish for us, that's what I saw.

Comment

• QSmokey
                    Guardedly Optimistic
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Kuna, Idaho
                    • Retired
                    • Send PM

Be a helluva thing if we traded with the Raiders, and they took Carr...after taking Watkins with their 1st pick.

Why would that be such a 'helluva thing', you ask?

Well, that would match EXACTLY my 1st round as the Raiders GM on this board's fun mock draft last month. LOL!

Comment

• QSmokey
                      Guardedly Optimistic
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Kuna, Idaho
                      • Retired
                      • Send PM

"Getting ahead of a team that needs a quarterback like Cleveland would be advantageous for Jacksonville. And Jaguars general manager David Caldwell has a good relationship with Telesco from their time working together in Indianapolis."

Quoted from the article above.

If this writer has the idea that this would be Jax's strategy, then surely those in Cleveland - yes, even Cleveland - must be mulling over the possibility as well.

Which means they are probably thinking of jumping the BOLTS to get their man. Sitting 1 slot in front of Jax is really not so much of an advantage as it might seem. It might be TOO obvious.

Comment

• Beerman
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Eastlake
                        • Send PM

Best case scenario is that Cleveland trades up one spot with us

Comment

• bonehead
                          Undrafted
                          • Jul 2013
                          • TBD
                          • Retired
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post
                          "Getting ahead of a team that needs a quarterback like Cleveland would be advantageous for Jacksonville. And Jaguars general manager David Caldwell has a good relationship with Telesco from their time working together in Indianapolis."

Quoted from the article above.

If this writer has the idea that this would be Jax's strategy, then surely those in Cleveland - yes, even Cleveland - must be mulling over the possibility as well.

Which means they are probably thinking of jumping the BOLTS to get their man. Sitting 1 slot in front of Jax is really not so much of an advantage as it might seem. It might be TOO obvious.
                          This is a dream scenario for me, if the browns pass on QB with their first pick other teams that passed like Jax, Houston, Oak , Bucs or Vikes ...might want to move up and get ahead of Cleveland Of course one of the top 4 QB's would still have to be there.
                          Last edited by bonehead; 04-19-2014, 01:35 PM.
                          Forget it Donny you're out of your element

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

Working...
                          X