• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bolt-O
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Niners: John Lynch is the new GM

This is an interesting pick. Lynch hasn't been in any personnel position at all... just a player and an analyst.

from pft:
    The 49ers are hiring former NFL safety John Lynch as their new General Manager, Jay Glazer of FOX Sports reported Sunday night.

Lynch, 45, has been working as a game analyst for FOX and has no front-office experience. He retired before the 2008 season following a 15-year career and could eventually be voted to the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

The 49ers are expected to hire Falcons offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan as their new head coach after next week’s Super Bowl. The team had a second interview with Shanahan this weekend and also interviewed G.M. candidates, but Lynch’s name never surfaced as a candidate until it was reported that he will be hired.

Glazer tweeted that the 49ers wanted to emulate what the Broncos have done with former player John Elway as the face and leader of the franchise and “wanted to change the whole attitude of the organization.”

After a long run in Tampa Bay, Lynch played his final four seasons with the Broncos. He retired after being released by the Patriots just before the 2008 season and began his broadcasting career during that season.
  • Bolt-O
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Lynch volunteered for the job...

Comment

• Steve
      Administrator
      • Jun 2013
      • South Carolina
      • Meteorologist
      • Send PM

Another Matt Millen?

Comment

• captaind
        Cook This Pork Chops
        • Jun 2013
        • Mars
        • Ball Holder
        • Send PM

At least make a reality tv show out of it if you're going to pick people with no experience. "Who Wants To Be an NFL GM?"

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
          Grammar Police
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Ha! He's a FB friend of mine! I went to highschool with him...
          Go Rivers!

Comment

• Bolt-O
            Administrator
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

John Lynch Jr. is a smart guy, as compared to Matt Millen. Supposedly he's already identified his right hand man to work the personnel side, so he might more in the role that John Spanos fills for the Chargers (sans personnel experience). I have a feeling that he'll be just as effective as Spanos... and that's not a compliment.

Comment

• Heatmiser
              HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Could be the next Ozzie Newsome or John Elway. Or could be the next Matt Millen (who although was a terrible GM, is a smart guy, too). Total surprise, but I guess because it's the 49ers, we should not be surprised. They did hire Jim Tomsula as head coach. Then fired him after one year to hire a failed and flawed Chip Kelly. Then fired Kelly after one year. Now THIS is truly poor ownership.

TG
              Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• richpjr
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Nashville
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Stinky Wizzleteats+ View Post
                Ha! He's a FB friend of mine! I went to highschool with him...
                I went to TPHS as well, but before you two did. Not sure how qualified he is to run a team though.

Comment

• foreigner
                  Tom Telesco is gone
                  • Sep 2013
                  • Send PM

I honestly think today's title of GM in the NFL is not appropiate. They are not GM as we expect on any other company, they only are talent/player providers and measured on that.

Comment

fender57
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by foreigner View Post
                    I honestly think today's title of GM in the NFL is not appropiate. They are not GM as we expect on any other company, they only are talent/player providers and measured on that.
                    Furthermore, in the case of football, should be subservient to the head coach as they are the ones that provide the strategy for winning on the field.

Comment

• Formula 21
                      The Future is Now
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Republic of San Diego
                      • Send PM

You never know who is going to have the knack for picking talent. Two players that are essentially the same, one makes it, one doesn't... Some guys have a better feel for who will make it.
                      Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                      The Wasted Decade is done.
                      Build Back Better.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
                        Grammar Police
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
                        I went to TPHS as well, but before you two did. Not sure how qualified he is to run a team though.
                        My cousin was in the first class to graduate tphs do you know Todd Beckwith?
                        Go Rivers!

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        😀
                        😂
                        🥰
                        😘
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😞
                        😡