• Show
Clear All
  • richpjr
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Nashville
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Stinky Wizzleteats+ View Post
    My cousin was in the first class to graduate tphs do you know Todd Beckwith?
    He was a few years older than me, but yes. Didn't he drive an El Camino?

Comment

• Steve
      Administrator
      • Jun 2013
      • South Carolina
      • Meteorologist
      • Send PM

The other example of this happening is Elway. That has worked out pretty well for Denver, even with this past season. I think the difference was, while he was learning, Elway reportedly leaned on the football guys to do the scouting and talent evaluation, and he has gotten more involved with that once he got experience.

I don't know to what degree Matt Millen leaned on his personnel guys, although with the success the Lions have not had before him, maybe listening to them was a big part of the problem. Millen always took responsibility for the bad picks, although good character guys will often take the blame to protect the guys under them. In the end, whether he delegates or micromanages, it is the success on the field that will determine how long he is there.

The good thing for a team like SF, things are so bad, and they pick so high, I don't think you have to be a mastermind to add more talent to their depleated roster.

Then again, that has always been the case, and usually bad teams don't do a very good job of developing the players they get, while great teams tend to develop late round and UDFA (see Malcolm Butler). Some of that is good scouting, but some of it is just good coaching.

There are different kinds of GM in football. Historically, most good GM in football have been talent guys. Of course in very few other businesses is the success in one aspect of the company so important in driving the rest of the business. No football team is going to be wildly successful if they don't win on the field. The key thing is just putting together an organization that make good decisions and then can execute them on the field. If the GM is calling the draft shots, or the HC, or the waterboy, it really doesn't matter, so long as everyone in the team knows who does what and everyone can execute their assignments, just like the players do on the field.

Comment

• Foxbatkllr
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Sep 2013
        • Send PM

No, Millen deserved the blame. He drafted a WR in the first round 3 straight years and 4 out of 5 years. He finally hit with Megatron but by that time it was too late for him. Even if your scouts say this or that WR will be good no way should you spend that many first rounders on a WR.

Comment

• Bolt-O
          Administrator
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Well, Elway actually had some experience in managing an indoor football league team and car dealerships before he took on his role. Lynch doesn't have that; it's good that his dad did run businesses. Millen failed because he kept doubling down on stupid.

Comment

fender57
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post
            Well, Elway actually had some experience in managing an indoor football league team and car dealerships before he took on his role. Lynch doesn't have that; it's good that his dad did run businesses. Millen failed because he kept doubling down on stupid.
            Didn't Elway make a killing selling off those car dealerships?

Comment

• foreigner
              Tom Telesco is gone
              • Sep 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

There are different kinds of GM in football. Historically, most good GM in football have been talent guys. Of course in very few other businesses is the success in one aspect of the company so important in driving the rest of the business. No football team is going to be wildly successful if they don't win on the field. The key thing is just putting together an organization that make good decisions and then can execute them on the field. If the GM is calling the draft shots, or the HC, or the waterboy, it really doesn't matter, so long as everyone in the team knows who does what and everyone can execute their assignments, just like the players do on the field.
              Thats why football teams need a good "CEO" just as any another enterprise , (To put a name to the title, it used to be "GM", but nowadays it has been replaced by "CEO").

Comment

• Asela
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jan 2014
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post
                John Lynch Jr. is a smart guy, as compared to Matt Millen. Supposedly he's already identified his right hand man to work the personnel side, so he might more in the role that John Spanos fills for the Chargers (sans personnel experience). I have a feeling that he'll be just as effective as Spanos... and that's not a compliment.
                Millen was lazy. He didn't want to put the hours in, and would routinely leave the organization or personal time. Lynch has always been a nose to the grindstone type. He was never the most athletic but had believe in himself and his ability to out work people. His radio interviews from time to time have been insightful but also smart in what to say and what not to say. I do t know if he will be a stellar GM but I do t think he'll end up as a bad GM. I think from the personnel side, he will understand what makes players tick and may be able to improve their draft success by understanding which players are going to have the kind of drive that won't change with money.

Where I think Lynch would be weak with is the Cap. Players come from a different side of the house, get as much money as you can while GMs are in direct opposition, pay them the least you can so you can afford the bigger priced tickets. Also, Lynch might view players on past performance and GMs need to see players as what will you do for me in the future. He could get too emotionally tied to players. On the flip side, players may play harder for Lynch, since players rarely connect with GMs or owners.

Falcons owner Arthur Blank has said, it's so difficult in the NFL world. In the business world, when great employees become part of your team you never want to let them go. They become family. But in football, players age and performance is so fleeting, it hurts so much to let a player go, who has played his heart out for us. It's like pushing family out the door.

Man, why was San Diego never fortunate to get a sports owner like Blank. From everything I've seen, a great guy and all self made.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
                  Grammar Police
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
                  He was a few years older than me, but yes. Didn't he drive an El Camino?
                  Yes a baby blue one... Drank a lot of beer in that el Camino...
                  Go Rivers!

Comment

Working...
                  X