• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KNSD
    Registered Charger Hater
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

The only time I've ever seen the Spanos family be decisive is in their efforts to get to LA.

They announced their move to LA five days before they had to. They hit the ground running (actually tripping all over themselves) right when they announced the move. Then they terminated the Qualcomm lease as soon as they could.

Their end game has always been LA - ever since they hired the former deputy mayor of LA, Fabiani.
    Prediction:
    Correct: Chargers CI fails miserably.
    Fail: Team stays in San Diego until their lease runs out in 2020. (without getting new deal done by then) .
    Sig Bet WIN: The Chargers will file for relocation on January 15.

Comment

• Faded blues
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Aug 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by KNSD View Post
      The only time I've ever seen the Spanos family be decisive is in their efforts to get to LA.

They announced their move to LA five days before they had to. They hit the ground running (actually tripping all over themselves) right when they announced the move. Then they terminated the Qualcomm lease as soon as they could.

Their end game has always been LA - ever since they hired the former deputy mayor of LA, Fabiani.
      I agree completely.

When dean took over for his dad is the day he wanted to go to la to sell the team.

Comment

• SDFan
        Woober Goober
        • Jun 2013
        • Dolores, CO
        • Retired
        • Send PM

Originally posted by KNSD View Post

it doesn't look that black & white to me. They experimented with holding TC in Carson back when the Home Depot stadium was still under construction and the practice fields and office trailers were in a big dirt lot surrounded by temporary chain link fencing. Why didn't they apply for relocation then? Their Mission Valley proposal went nowhere during the same timeframe. Deano had negotiations with AEG, but bailed out. He also had negotiations with Roski and bailed out. Then negotiations with Kroenke over Hollywood park, and again failed. He's had chances in SD, but wouldn't even engage in real negotiations- and again FAILED.

It was reported he felt tremendous pressure to make a decision while the owners were meeting recently to discuss Vegas mostly- and then panicked when more help for SD never came up. It's clear the guy is not a confident, decisive leader of his own company and can't negotiate a deal to save his life and only reacts in panic mode. Rather than LA always being his end game- I think it was holding out to see who would give him the most free shit for as little investment and work on his part as he could get.. Apparently Faulconer & Roberts told him they already made their best offer and when he didn't immediately get more $ thrown his way by the NFL, he concluded being Kroenke's bitch was the best deal he was ever going to get without giving up anything in return and he reverted back to panic mode and took the LA option just to get it over with once and for all.
        Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• KNSD
          Registered Charger Hater
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

You could say that they would stay - on their terms - which was a higher price than voters would ever allow (and they knew that).

Otherwise, the "Raiders/Vegas panic mode" scenario IMO is a red herring. Otherwise, the Spanos family would have waited until the following Tuesday to make the call - giving the NFL and others as much time as possible to get something done. They would have also left room for a return to San Diego instead of burning every single bridge on their way out.
          Prediction:
          Correct: Chargers CI fails miserably.
          Fail: Team stays in San Diego until their lease runs out in 2020. (without getting new deal done by then) .
          Sig Bet WIN: The Chargers will file for relocation on January 15.

Comment

• Gwynning_Spirit
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jul 2013
            • Send PM

the Red Herrings might be a good re-brand option, or the LA Flounders, with a cartoon-style spanos face on a fish body as the logo... or just use a pic of a spanos and no one will notice the difference.

Comment

• RobH
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Tokyo, Japan
              • University English Lecturer
              • Send PM

Originally posted by obvious_idiot_bolt View Post
              the Red Herrings might be a good re-brand option, or the LA Flounders, with a cartoon-style spanos face on a fish body as the logo... or just use a pic of a spanos and no one will notice the difference.
              Just use a picture of Deano wearing a beanie and call them the Beached Whales.

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
                No Sir, I Dont Like It
                • Jun 2013
                • Section 457
                • Migrant Film Worker
                • Send PM

Originally posted by SDfan View Post
                it doesn't look that black & white to me. They experimented with holding TC in Carson back when the Home Depot stadium was still under construction and the practice fields and office trailers were in a big dirt lot surrounded by temporary chain link fencing. Why didn't they apply for relocation then? Their Mission Valley proposal went nowhere during the same timeframe. Deano had negotiations with AEG, but bailed out. He also had negotiations with Roski and bailed out. Then negotiations with Kroenke over Hollywood park, and again failed. He's had chances in SD, but wouldn't even engage in real negotiations- and again FAILED.

It was reported he felt tremendous pressure to make a decision while the owners were meeting recently to discuss Vegas mostly- and then panicked when more help for SD never came up. It's clear the guy is not a confident, decisive leader of his own company and can't negotiate a deal to save his life and only reacts in panic mode. Rather than LA always being his end game- I think it was holding out to see who would give him the most free shit for as little investment and work on his part as he could get.. Apparently Faulconer & Roberts told him they already made their best offer and when he didn't immediately get more $ thrown his way by the NFL, he concluded being Kroenke's bitch was the best deal he was ever going to get without giving up anything in return and he reverted back to panic mode and took the LA option just to get it over with once and for all.
                Agree.
                And this is why the other owners will collectively wince while they allow him to fail.
                Spanos and Davis offer nothing to the elite corporates in the NFL. They are the two weakest links in the ownership chain.
                The main difference between them is Spanos always bends to whatever they want. Davis is still an outsider and always will be.
                The other significant difference is, while they ultimately want both of them out of the club, the Raider brand is much stronger than the Charger brand.
                That is still worth keeping, so they will keep squeezing Davis until he can no longer afford to hang onto his team.
                Spanos requires a different approach, get him into the big market and allow him to do what he was born to do, fail spectacularly.
                They can risk this because they have another owner with solid capital building the LA market for them.
                The Charger brand means less to the NFL than it meant to SD.
                Rebranding and or relocation could clean up the mess once Spanos is out.
                Grab some popcorn...
                Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
                sigpic

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
                  No Sir, I Dont Like It
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Section 457
                  • Migrant Film Worker
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by obvious_idiot_bolt View Post
                  SC, we need your photoshop artistry...
                  Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
                  sigpic

Comment

• Faded blues
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Aug 2013
                    • Send PM

Raider president told the Las Vegas stadium coalition that they have private funded but refused to explain who and how.

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

Originally posted by Faded blues View Post
                      Raider president told the Las Vegas stadium coalition that they have private funded but refused to explain who and how.
                      It makes sense, but it never entered my mind that there was a job title out there called Raider president. When I was a kid, I was never afraid of ghosts or monsters, but I bet I would have been terrified by Raider presidents.

Comment

Working...
                      X