• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bolt-O
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

OT: Steve Fisher Retires

Per 1090, Steve Fisher retires from Aztec Basketball, and Brian Dutcher will take over.

Steve Fisher always said he didn’t want a protracted farewell tour, didn’t want a string of pre-game ceremonies with rocking chairs and golf clubs and misty speeches.
  • Formula 21
    The Future is Now
    • Jun 2013
    • Republic of San Diego
    • Send PM

darn, just a great guy and coach. Good luck to Brian, but I can't see him doing as well.
    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
    The Wasted Decade is done.
    Build Back Better.

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

Thanks, Coach Fisher, for making us relevant for a bit.

Comment

• Coachmarkos
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • SoDak
        • Technology Director
        • Send PM

Congrats to Coach Fisher on a great career.

As a HS BB Coach, I hold him in high regard.
        "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

• foreigner
          Tom Telesco is gone
          • Sep 2013
          • Send PM

I hate it... but I'll be the one... this thread doesnt belong here....

Comment

• Bolt-O
            Administrator
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by foreigner View Post
            I hate it... but I'll be the one... this thread doesnt belong here....
            It would have been ignored in the End Zone. That's why I posted it here... with the OT.

Comment

• ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

He sure did something special for the program but all of the air just went out of it. Without someone well-known, it will likely regress toward the mean.

Comment

• Wheels
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • San Diego
                • Send PM

Originally posted by ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR View Post
                He sure did something special for the program but all of the air just went out of it. Without someone well-known, it will likely regress toward the mean.
                It will be interesting to see what becomes of the program. It's the dreaded continuity word, or dare I say continuapathy? I remember Colin Cowherd speaking about this a while back, not specifically about Fisher/Dutcher, but about sort of beta type assistant coaches waiting patiently for their turn to run a successful program. His take was that these guys aren't the ones you want taking over, their passivity basically precluding them from being great leaders. Another part of his take was that the current successful coach stepping down and handing the reigns over to his assistant is tantamount to them intentionally sabotaging the program to help seal their status as exceptional coaches. I don't believe Fisher did this intentionally for that reason, but it's a thought provoking opinion, and will be interesting if the first hypothesis is applicable here.

Comment

fender57
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Fisher brought a respectability to SDSU that hadn't been there since Coryell, and Fisher reached higher heights (ranked 3 nationally). Thanks for the ride Coach Fisher.

Comment

Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Wheels View Post
                    It will be interesting to see what becomes of the program. It's the dreaded continuity word, or dare I say continuapathy? I remember Colin Cowherd speaking about this a while back, not specifically about Fisher/Dutcher, but about sort of beta type assistant coaches waiting patiently for their turn to run a successful program. His take was that these guys aren't the ones you want taking over, their passivity basically precluding them from being great leaders. Another part of his take was that the current successful coach stepping down and handing the reigns over to his assistant is tantamount to them intentionally sabotaging the program to help seal their status as exceptional coaches. I don't believe Fisher did this intentionally for that reason, but it's a thought provoking opinion, and will be interesting if the first hypothesis is applicable here.
                    I say it not for the reasons C-word gives. I say it bc Dutch has no stature. Fisher had a national championship to hang his hat on. Fisher's role will probably continue on the recruiting side, which is great. But IMO the program was lucky to get some of the talent it did and all of it was due to Fisher.

Comment

• Coachmarkos
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • SoDak
                      • Technology Director
                      • Send PM

To be fair, you DO get to recruit Student-Ahtletes to San Diego!

(Much easier than South Dakota, I can tell you that)

Also... given the proximity of LA, and just the general population of California in general... close access to a LOT of young talent.
                      "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by coachmarkos View Post
                        To be fair, you DO get to recruit Student-Ahtletes to San Diego!

(Much easier than South Dakota, I can tell you that)

Also... given the proximity of LA, and just the general population of California in general... close access to a LOT of young talent.
                        So SDSU has been competing for players with S Dakota?

Even with that close access, how many top notch talents (I don't mean really good ones, I mean championship quality) have they snagged, even with Fish? Their best player, Kawhi Leonard was coached up a lot. They'll be lucky to get players like that much less the ones like Fish got with Dutch. Sadly, I don't see ay way around that. I hope I'm wrong.

Comment

Working...
                        X