Chargers Announce 2017 Offseason Program Dates
    Monday, March 27, 2017 5:14 PM PDT

By Ricky Henne
    Managing Editor
    Chargers.com
    @ChargersRHenne

RECENT VIDEOS

How the NFL Schedule Is Made
    Meet Mike North, Sr. Director of Broadcast Planning, the man who turns the millions of possibilities into the official NFL schedule. Watch

NFLN: The Chargers Are Loaded
    NFL Network's Kay Adams talks about why she is excited to see the Chargers in 2017. Watch
    MORE VIDEOS
    Chargers News To Your Inbox!
    Sign up for the free Chargers email newsletter and stay in the know with all things Bolts.
    Name

Email

Opt into another list
    Stadium Information
    Ticket Information
    Promotions & Partners
    Chargers 5k
    SUBSCRIBE NOW
    RECENT ARTICLES

The Combine Interview: Inside the Chargers' Closed Door Meeting with a Top Prospect

Mailbag: Three Chargers to Keep an Eye on
    MORE ARTICLES
    FEATURED GALLERY

Pro Bowlers Chargers Set to Face in 2017
    The arrival of Anthony Lynn means the Los Angeles Chargers get a two-week head start to the offseason program.
    As one of five teams with new head coaches for the 2017 season, the Bolts get to begin Phase I on April 3 and are afforded a second veteran minicamp.
    In accordance with the NFL Collective Bargaining Agreement, the voluntary workouts are divided into three phases. Here is a breakdown for what to expect from the Chargers over the coming months:

PHASE 1 - Begins April 3
    The first two weeks of the program are limited to only strength and conditioning, as well as physical rehabilitation.

PHASE 2 - Begins April 17
    The second phase lasts three weeks and consists of on-field workouts that may include individual player instruction and drills. Team practice may be conducted on a “separates” basis, but no live contact or team offense vs. team defense drills are permitted.
    However, after the first week of Phase 2, the Bolts will hold their additional voluntary veteran minicamp from April 25-27. Phase 2 resumes the following week.
    Following the NFL Draft, the Chargers will also hold a rookie minicamp from May 12-14.

PHASE 3 – Begins May 15

The final four weeks are comprised of a total of 10 days of organized team practice activity, often referred to as “OTAs”. No live contact is permitted, but 7-on-7, 9-on-7, and 11-on-11 drills are permitted.
    Chargers’ OTAs will take place on the following dates:[/I]
    May 16-18
    May 23-25
    June 5-6
    June 8-9

Article 22 of the Collective Bargaining Agreement also affords clubs one mandatory minicamp for veteran players.
    The Chargers minicamp will take place June 13-15.
    The Bolts will then part ways for the next month before returning in late July for training camp at Jack Hammett Sports Complex in Costa Mesa. We will post info on training camp and open dates for fans to attend as soon as they are announced.
    Last edited by Rugger05; 04-19-2017, 01:40 PM.

Comment

• Fleet
      TPB Founder
      • Jun 2013
      • Cardiff - Poipu
      • Send PM

Maybe he wanted workout bonuses and didnt get them? Im reading how across the league other players are not at the conditioning phase and coaches dont care. Derrick Henry being one of them. I think these guys are initially talking with the coaches and saying they are working out privately. Obviously it would be nice if they are all there. But this is probably more of the business side of it than personal?

I dont know. Just some thoughts.

Comment

• chargerkdb
        Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Hotter than hell, Georgia
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula Two One View Post
        Shades of David Boston.
        He's sneaking off in a room with his private trainer to take HGH, oops I mean Special vitamins?

Comment

• blueman
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Jeebus he's the best player we have on D, arguably the best D player we've had in years unless I'm forgetting somebody else who was D rookie of the year playing only 12 games. Problems we got, Joey ain't one of them.

Comment

• Steve
            Administrator
            • Jun 2013
            • South Carolina
            • Meteorologist
            • Send PM

You can nit-pick and call them anything you want. Bosa is still not practicing with the team in the ultimate team sport. And the teamwork and cohesiveness so necessary to phave a team function at a high level starts getting built during these sort of practices.

While Bosa had a good season last year, I would still like to see him raise his game to the next couples of levels.

The thing is, if he is working out on his own, how much other stuff is he doing or is he just working out. Every year when Rivers is forced to leave the Chargers facility because of the idiotic CBA clauses, he and the coaches and film guys have a ton of video study for him to do. At Rivers age, and experience, he is just fine tooning something that is pretty well already at a very high level of precision. Bosa still has a long way to go before he is in the danger of being the best DE in football. Unlike so many other draft picks, he is someone who can legitimately get there.

Comment

• blueman
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

I guess I worry about the other 21 starters on D getting to Bosa's level more.
              Last edited by blueman; 04-19-2017, 06:51 PM.

Comment

• chargerkdb
                Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post
                Maybe he wanted workout bonuses and didnt get them? Im reading how across the league other players are not at the conditioning phase and coaches dont care. Derrick Henry being one of them. I think these guys are initially talking with the coaches and saying they are working out privately. Obviously it would be nice if they are all there. But this is probably more of the business side of it than personal?

I dont know. Just some thoughts.
                I wish to hell he was there. I agree that it's probably residual from contract negotiations. He can only say or do so much to stick it to the man without getting in trouble. Can't get fined for skipping voluntary workouts. He knows damn good and well what hes doing. I wouldn't be surprised if he does it every year. New HC, new DC, new defense, I'd be there

Comment

• chargerkdb
                  Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
                  I guess I worry about the other 21 starters on D getting to Bosa's level more.
                  How many?

Comment

• Fleet
                    TPB Founder
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Cardiff - Poipu
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by chargerkdb View Post
                    I wish to hell he was there. I agree that it's probably residual from contract negotiations. He can only say or do so much to stick it to the man without getting in trouble. Can't get fined for skipping voluntary workouts. He knows damn good and well what hes doing. I wouldn't be surprised if he does it every year. New HC, new DC, new defense, I'd be there
                    5th year option. And a couple years on the tag. So we have him for at least 7 years. Hopefully by then hes bought in and we can sign him long term. We may have to draft his brother to keep him here. lol

Comment

• Bolt-O
                      Administrator
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

What I heard was Bosa is working out with a former Charger conditioning intern who was let go when they hired the new coach John Lott (the bench press guy from the combine.) For what Hardwick said this morning was Bosa really benefited from the one-on-one coaching, but Lott probably would be spread out with the other players.

Comment

• Big Dog
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

LT used to skip all the OTA's if I recall correctly and he had a half-decent career.

I like the idea of starting 21 other guys along with Bosa, we could break into the top half of the league with those kind of numbers on defense, maybe not this year, but by next year for sure!

Comment

• blueman
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by chargerkdb View Post
                          How many?
                          Er, um, yeah lol.

Anyhoo more concerned about anybody not named Bosa on our D than Bosa.

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡
                          👍