• Show
Clear All
  • Steve
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • South Carolina
    • Meteorologist
    • Send PM

Working with the old coaching staff vs the new, only time will tell. But with Lott doing different stuff to try and avoid injuries, I think I would like to see him with the new staff.

When Bosa has a couple years under his belt with consistently dominant performances, then he can do what he likes and it won't matter. I just wish the NFLPA would get away from this stupid idea of an offseason. THese guys are professionals. THey are paid huge salaries. AS long as you are not completely overworking them to the point their bodies break down, they can afford to be around and working as a group. They get time off in the traditional NFL breaks after the season, and then before TC, which is a lot more time off than most people get.

In terms of "starter", a term I don't really understand, there are usually 11. 4 DL, 3 LB, and 4 DB. The more important group is the nickel package (or packages) and that is usually 4 DL, 2 true LB, 1 hybrid CB/LB and 4 DB. Nickle package is used around 60% of the snaps. NFL wide, it was 63.5% in 2015 (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/he...se-in-the-nfl/) and that doesn't include dime and quarters packages. NFC West teams drag down the average in part because those teams have so many good LB, so they stay in their base D a lot more than normal, but it is still around 50% of their snaps in nickel.

A lot of other teams have started making very public the idea of finding the hybrid DB. We did with McCoil and Brown last year, Washington with Sua Cravens, Seattle tried Browner. Other teams did so with less publicity. http://steelerswire.usatoday.com/201...ense-for-2016/

In terms of key players, with no injuries, we will probably use about 15 guys who get a fair number of snaps and then taken snaps to the other half a dozen or so.
    Last edited by Steve; 04-20-2017, 02:37 AM.

Comment

• SDFan
      Woober Goober
      • Jun 2013
      • Dolores, CO
      • Retired
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      You can nit-pick and call them anything you want. Bosa is still not practicing with the team in the ultimate team sport. And the teamwork and cohesiveness so necessary to phave a team function at a high level starts getting built during these sort of practices.

While Bosa had a good season last year, I would still like to see him raise his game to the next couples of levels.

The thing is, if he is working out on his own, how much other stuff is he doing or is he just working out. Every year when Rivers is forced to leave the Chargers facility because of the idiotic CBA clauses, he and the coaches and film guys have a ton of video study for him to do. At Rivers age, and experience, he is just fine tooning something that is pretty well already at a very high level of precision. Bosa still has a long way to go before he is in the danger of being the best DE in football. Unlike so many other draft picks, he is someone who can legitimately get there.
      Doesn't seem like they are having any practices yet that he would miss based on that published schedule of phases 1-3. They probably don't hand out playbooks until after the draft?
      Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• Bolt-O
        Administrator
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

I do think that the coaches wanted the time to bond with the players, even though they couldn't actually do anything with them. However I think it really should be up to the players if indeed it is "voluntary". What use is the CBA if coaches coerce attendance as a condition of making the team? On the other side if a player is on the margin, it is their incentive to have as much face time as possible to make the team, but for a shoo-in starter that has a plan to maximize performance outside of voluntary workouts it really doesn't make much sense to show up.

Comment

• Steve
          Administrator
          • Jun 2013
          • South Carolina
          • Meteorologist
          • Send PM

Originally posted by SDfan View Post
          Doesn't seem like they are having any practices yet that he would miss based on that published schedule of phases 1-3. They probably don't hand out playbooks until after the draft?
          You don't think they are doing drills and technique work? Teams spend less and less time doing that every year, and it shows more and more every season.

They may be optional, because that is what the NFLPA has negotiated, but that doesn't mean it is good for the game.

Comment

• BoltBacker
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Las Vegas, NV
            • Send PM

If they are that important to coaches then the league needs to bargain and not make them voluntary. The Chargers would not bend negotiating with Bosa last year so why would he do anything not in his best interest going forward. It is business, if you want him there pay him.

Comment

• Steve
              Administrator
              • Jun 2013
              • South Carolina
              • Meteorologist
              • Send PM

They are paying him. He has a contract.

As far as offseason activities go, the NFLPA would not budge on the issues related to them. The amount of hitting, the number of practices.... It's not the leagues doing, it's the NFLPA. ANd I don't think they have the players best interest at heart (unless you consider pure dollar amount, in which case they do). If they had the best interest at heart, they would be willing to allow players and coaches to work on their craft together during the offseason so that players who want to can get better. But instead they have decided to let colleges do the development of players and with predictiable amount of failure.

Comment

• Fleet
                TPB Founder
                • Jun 2013
                • Cardiff - Poipu
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post
                I think hes really focused on the conditioning part of it. I love when he says things like "We will be the best conditioned team in the league". Not saying they will be but its clearly a huge deal to him and something i have questioned in the past. I really hope this new staff is employing new ways to recover. More yoga and pilates type practices.

Also love seeing all the images painted on the field to represent gaps and defense. All these little details will add up imo. I hope he pays a lot of attention to the details. Like Marty used to.
                Good to see.

Comment

• Rugger05
                  Administrator
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post
                  Good to see.

God the have totally gone Hollywood now!

Just kidding happy to see this

Comment

• Heatmiser
                    HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Bosa takes his training regimen very seriously. He does not take the off season "off". If he wants to work with a trainer that he pays to continually work with him one-on-one on the things he needs to do to improve his body, I am all for that. As Hardwick said, those attending the workouts at the Charger facility get almost no one-on-one and the workouts are largely generic for all players. Serious players employ their own massage therapists, nutritionists, trainers, etc.

Having said all of that, I do think it would be terrific for a guy who is likely to be the star of the defense for some time to come in and show support for the new coaching staff. Bosa could easily do that for a couple weeks and then return to doing his own thing and not miss a beat. That's why Gates has been showing up -- to tell the young guys that he buys in to the new staff.

TG
                    Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• Millionaire Wussy
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jul 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post
                      Bosa takes his training regimen very seriously. He does not take the off season "off". If he wants to work with a trainer that he pays to continually work with him one-on-one on the things he needs to do to improve his body, I am all for that. As Hardwick said, those attending the workouts at the Charger facility get almost no one-on-one and the workouts are largely generic for all players. Serious players employ their own massage therapists, nutritionists, trainers, etc.

Having said all of that, I do think it would be terrific for a guy who is likely to be the star of the defense for some time to come in and show support for the new coaching staff. Bosa could easily do that for a couple weeks and then return to doing his own thing and not miss a beat. That's why Gates has been showing up -- to tell the young guys that he buys in to the new staff.

TG
                      Of course the Chargers FO likely damaged the relationship by being so damn stubborn in negotiations with Bosa. If I was Bosa I would stay the hell away too.
                      For Stinky-Jon-Wizzleteats....

"Pray for strength and healing oh and money!"

Comment

• Fleet
                        TPB Founder
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Cardiff - Poipu
                        • Send PM

Philip Rivers has no qualms about Joey Bosa skipping workouts

Posted by Mike Florio on April 21, 2017, 2:25 PM EDT

Getty Images
                        Chargers defensive end Joey Bosa has opted not to show up for optional voluntary workouts. If any of his teammates will be applying peer pressure to Bosa, it won’t be his starting quarterback, Philip Rivers.

“I know this about Joey,” Rivers told Hardwick & Richards on XTRA 1360 AM in San Diego. “Joey’s gonna put his hand on the ground and he’s gonna play as hard as anybody on the field for however many snaps we play, and he’s gonna be in as good a shape if not better than any guy in the building. Now, I think we’ve got a heck of a program, and what we’re doing is awesome as far as an offseason program, it’s great.

“But you also know, at least I’ve found out in a year’s time with Joey, is that he’s gonna be ready, he’s taking care of his business. He’s doing it his way, but he’s a pro. I found out very quickly he’s a pro, and we want Joey to be the best he can be. And if he feels doing this route is that, then that’s a decision he has to make.”

Bosa is working out on his own, and he’s expected to show up for Organized Team Activities, otherwise known as Phase Three of the offseason workout program. He doesn’t have to if he doesn’t want to; no player is obligated to show up for anything but the mandatory minicamp.

Comment

• Rugger05
                          Administrator
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Looks like Bosa showed up yesterday and will not miss OTA's

CARSON, Calif. (AP) — Defensive end Joey Bosa is working out at the Los Angeles Chargers’ training complex after spending the first two weeks of their voluntary offseason program back home in Florida.

Chargers general manager Tom Telesco confirmed Monday that Bosa is with his teammates this week.

After an outstanding rookie season that started late due to a contract dispute, Bosa skipped the start of the Chargers’ offseason workouts this spring to work with a personal trainer.
                          d the Chargers’ offseason program and training camp during his rookie season. After he finally signed, Bosa strained his hamstring and missed the first four games, but recovered to become the AP’s Defensive Rookie of the Year

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡
                          👍