• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fleet
    TPB Founder
    • Jun 2013
    • Cardiff - Poipu
    • Send PM

You have to draft a player with 100% conviction of where he is going to play. Thats draft 101. And i think if the Bolts drafted McCaffrey he's being viewed as a WR first. 3rd down back 2nd. Returner and back up starting RB. You drafted a playmaker in Gordon. You draft McCaffrey...another playmaker.... to get him on the field the field at the same time as Gordon. If you are going to go back and forth with carries it just makes no sense to me. You draft your backup RB in the middle rounds. You look to hit on the David Johnson steals of the draft. RB is very deep this year.

At #7 there is no reason why you cant draft a player you add to your 11, to play alongside the other playmakers. Allen, Henry and Gordon. You put McCaffrey on the field at the same time as those guys. You use him in the slot. You line him up outside where he creates a mismatch with a safety or LB. Use him on Jet Sweeps and end arounds like Harvin used to be used. You use him like Cobb used to be used. All while being one of the best returners in the league. Look at the impact Tyreek Hill had in KC and his stats were not even close to what McCaffrey could put up. You can use him in a similar way.

Hes a 3 down player. And occasionally spells Gordon. But Gordon is going to be a monster. If you want to make McCaffrey and Edelman/Woody type fine. But he better be a complimentary playmaker that stays on the field or id just prefer we go after a guy like Corey Davis. Or Samuel in the 2nd.

Comment

• Maverick
      (Coryellian)
      • Jun 2013
      • Point Loma
      • Send PM

I would love it if we took McCaffrey.

Comment

• Millionaire Wussy
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jul 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post
        You have to draft a player with 100% conviction of where he is going to play. Thats draft 101. And i think if the Bolts drafted McCaffrey he's being viewed as a WR first. 3rd down back 2nd. Returner and back up starting RB. You drafted a playmaker in Gordon. You draft McCaffrey...another playmaker.... to get him on the field the field at the same time as Gordon. If you are going to go back and forth with carries it just makes no sense to me. You draft your backup RB in the middle rounds. You look to hit on the David Johnson steals of the draft. RB is very deep this year.

At #7 there is no reason why you cant draft a player you add to your 11, to play alongside the other playmakers. Allen, Henry and Gordon. You put McCaffrey on the field at the same time as those guys. You use him in the slot. You line him up outside where he creates a mismatch with a safety or LB. Use him on Jet Sweeps and end arounds like Harvin used to be used. You use him like Cobb used to be used. All while being one of the best returners in the league.

Hes a 3 down player. And occasionally spells Gordon. But Gordon is going to be a monster. If you want to make McCaffrey and Edelman/Woody type fine. But he better be a complimentary playmaker that stays on the field or id just prefer we go after a guy like Corey Davis. Or Samuel in the 2nd.
        That all sounds GREAT to me! Kind of reminds me of Air Coryell times if we picked McCaffrey. :Joiner:

You know I would love to get McCaffrey BUT I'd also be happy with a great Safety like Hooker or Adams. If not Safety then one of Solomon Thomas or J. Allen would be awesome. If not any of the above, then how about WR Mike Williams? We're going to wind up with a real good player at #7 no matter what. I'm excited. :smile:
        Last edited by Millionaire Wussy; 04-22-2017, 11:08 PM.
        For Stinky-Jon-Wizzleteats....

"Pray for strength and healing oh and money!"

Comment

• Millionaire Wussy
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jul 2013
          • Send PM

FLEET, wouldn't McCaffrey's presence on the field (with Gordon in the backfield) - preferably at Slot - create more space for Gordon to run the ball? What do you think?
          Last edited by Millionaire Wussy; 04-22-2017, 11:22 PM.

Comment

• Fleet
            TPB Founder
            • Jun 2013
            • Cardiff - Poipu
            • Send PM

I think an offensive line will help more than anything. Allen on the field will help Gordon. McCaffrey is a Patriots type of versatile player. Thats probably the team that would use him best. But they dont need him. They signed all their RBs that can do a lot of what he does. But you saw how important Edelman and White were in the Superbowl. He can play both role's.

The other thing is Gordon and Allen are fragile guys. One player would greatly reduce the pain of losing one of these guys. So he in a way can cover 2 spots. Not as effectively most likely but a guy like that on a team with fragile playmakers could go a long way.

Keep in mind hes coming off an injury riddled season after putting up monster stats his sophomore year. 350 carries. Over 3K yards combined. A load like that almost certainly had a part in his fragility this past season.

I think he could end up being an injury prone player. Or having the potential to be one due to how much time he spends in the middle of the field. Hes gonna get blasted often. The less time he spends running the ball most likely the better.

Comment

• Millionaire Wussy
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2013
              • Send PM

My point was that McCaffrey is noted for his running after the catch. It's a strength for him. The fact he was a very effective RB in college should bring more attention to his presence on the field. So instead of just a linebacker attempting to cover him, he could also be patrolled by a Safety. And that would create more space for Gordon to run at the LOS. Is that logical?

FLEET, I think that's a great point about McCaffrey's injury history. He still put together a good season (had a higher average per rush and even more total rushing yards per game in 2016 than the year previous). But he was hurt like you mentioned. And I read that he actually lost weight - and some muscle mass - in effort to impress teams as a WR at the Combine. That's a little scary to me I have to admit.
              Last edited by Millionaire Wussy; 04-22-2017, 11:56 PM.

Comment

• Fleet
                TPB Founder
                • Jun 2013
                • Cardiff - Poipu
                • Send PM

Things you will get with McCaffrey. Probably end up being one of the smartest players/football IQ guys in the league. A guy that knows the game through and through. He will be coachable. He will be a student of the game with an incredible work ethic. An absolute leader in the locker room and in the community. He also will most likely bring some nor cal fans to the fanbase as the Raiders leave the area. His father was a beast of a player. And this kid is better and grew up seeing it. Its not uncomfortable for him. Gordon was nervous his first year. Mental even. In his head. I think Christian comes in and starts off at a very high clip.

You roll all that into his natural abilities/gifts and speed he could be a nice player. If he became a Bolt he would have someone that was similar to him on and off the field in LT that could teach him how to stay healthy. How to recover.

I want defense at #7. But if we are going offense i may end up preferring him over guys like Mike Williams and John Ross.

At the end of the day....ive always said that routes kill in this league. Its why Keenan Allen was so good early on. McCaffrey in the slot with his route running abilities would be a nice piece for the bolts. A true playmaker. Not a lot of players with his skillset. Tyreek hill is someone i would compare him to. And we all saw how deadly he was in a limited role last year. But Hill couldnt be a full time RB if Gordon ever got hurt.

Again its his versatility at 2 positions that make him so highly regarded. Hes probably one of the best return guys from the start.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                  Dont let the PBs fool ya
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Henderson, NV
                  • Send PM

Tyreek Hill is a lot faster than McCaffrey is. 4.3 vs 4.49
                  Last edited by Boltjolt; 04-23-2017, 08:26 AM.

Comment

• richpjr
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Nashville
                    • Send PM

The other thing is Gordon and Allen are fragile guys. One player would greatly reduce the pain of losing one of these guys. So he in a way can cover 2 spots.
                    This is a big point that absolutely can't be ignored. I absolutely love McCaffrey, but not at pick 7 with as many other needs as we have on the roster. If we could trade down and pick him lower, I'd be pretty happy with that.

Comment

• Fleet
                      TPB Founder
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Cardiff - Poipu
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
                      Tyreek Hill is a lot faster than McCaffrey is. 4.3 vs 4.49
                      4.3 - 4.4 its not terribly a huge deal when you factor in one of those guys is 200 pounds and the other 180 or so. The same 3 cone which is probably a better gauge of shiftiness. McCaffrey with the better broad jump which might suggest explosiveness.

And Hill timed at his pro day. Everyone times better at their proday. lol At least it feels that way.

Yes Hill is faster. But i wasnt comparing measureables. I was comparing impact and usage.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                        Dont let the PBs fool ya
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Henderson, NV
                        • Send PM

4.3 - 4.4 its not terribly a huge deal when you factor in one of those guys is 200 pounds and the other 180 or so. The same 3 cone which is probably a better gauge of shiftiness. McCaffrey with the better broad jump which might suggest explosiveness.

And Hill timed at his pro day. Everyone times better at their proday. lol At least it feels that way.

Yes Hill is faster. But i wasnt comparing measureables. I was comparing impact and usage.
                        Its not a 4.4 its a 4.49! Much faster but what im saying is Hill is just more explosive and just fast. McCaffrey is quick but he doesnt have the after burners that Hill does. Fast enough yes but Hill just blows by people.For me McCaffrey would be best for us as a slot WR and return man. Some third down RB. He is versatile but since we have Gordon he isnt much on my radar. Not at all in the first round. Later id rather have Mixon or McNichols.

Comment

• Formula 21
                          The Future is Now
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Republic of San Diego
                          • Send PM

Just say no to Mixon.
                          Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                          The Wasted Decade is done.
                          Build Back Better.

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞