Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Kiper 3 round breakdown for every team

Los Angeles Chargers

Round 1 (7): Mike Williams, WR, Clemson
    Round 2 (38): Dion Dawkins, OL, Temple
    Round 3 (71): Jaleel Johnson, DT, Iowa

Keenan Allen has played only nine games the past two seasons, and former undrafted free agent Tyrell Williams led the Chargers in receiving last season. Give Philip Rivers another big-time target, and the Chargers could be one of the most-improved teams in the league in 2017. Los Angeles could use another offensive tackle, but there aren't any elite tackles in this class. Dawkins started at left tackle the past three seasons for the Owls, but he's likely to be a guard at the next level. Grabbing a potential immediate starter in the second round is a smart move. At 6-foot-3, 316 pounds, Johnson is a good pass-rusher from the interior; he had 7.5 sacks last season.
  • Fleet
    TPB Founder
    • Jun 2013
    • Cardiff - Poipu
    • Send PM

Not a great draft.

I know i always say this about the top 10 and WR's but its very rare that a guy who times over 4.5 goes in the top 10. There is legitimate data supporting it. I dont always feel that way about a WR in the top 10 though. Williams routes are not very good. And its just too often that guys who dominate in college who dont run good routes get into the pros and dont do anything. Its like they hit a wall in the pros. Im shocked that so many people seem to be burying their head on Williams routes. Davis, Kupp, McCaffrey, Z Jones and especially Godwin are the guys id target based on route running. Its just so important to a QB like Rivers. Benjamin comes in and runs shitty routes and hes not on the same page. Rivers needs that in a WR. Id be shocked if Williams goes top 10. He probably will just to make me look stupid but i really dont like his fricking routes.

I like Dawkins feet. He can move pretty well. Has quick feet.

Comment

• Boltsfan70
      East Coast Chargers Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • PA transplant living in S. Carolina
      • Send PM

I am a huge Godwin fan

Comment

• chargerkdb
        Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Hotter than hell, Georgia
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post
        Not a great draft.

I know i always say this about the top 10 and WR's but its very rare that a guy who times over 4.5 goes in the top 10. There is legitimate data supporting it. I dont always feel that way about a WR in the top 10 though. Williams routes are not very good. And its just too often that guys who dominate in college who dont run good routes get into the pros and dont do anything. Its like they hit a wall in the pros. Im shocked that so many people seem to be burying their head on Williams routes. Davis, Kupp, McCaffrey, Z Jones and especially Godwin are the guys id target based on route running. Its just so important to a QB like Rivers. Benjamin comes in and runs shitty routes and hes not on the same page. Rivers needs that in a WR. Id be shocked if Williams goes top 10. He probably will just to make me look stupid but i really dont like his fricking routes.

I like Dawkins feet. He can move pretty well. Has quick feet.
        Keenan Allen hasn't run sub 4.5 since Cal. Jerry Rice probably never clocked sub 4.6. I try not to get too wrapped up on WR 40 times. If they produce in power 5 they probably have speed for next level. I'm not "top 10" high on Williams either but his lazy route running can be worked out. A lot of WR's in NCAA are lousy route runners which is why it usually takes a few years to break out for all but the incredibly physically gifted freaks. I think he will be a decent receiver at next level but I agree, top 10 too high. Sammy Watkins was probably a better prospect and he wasn't worth too 10.
        Last edited by chargerkdb; 04-25-2017, 08:06 AM.

Comment

• Fleet
          TPB Founder
          • Jun 2013
          • Cardiff - Poipu
          • Send PM

Originally posted by chargerkdb View Post
          Keenan Allen hasn't run sub 4.5 since Cal. Jerry Rice probably never clocked sub 4.6. I try not to get too wrapped up on WR 40 times. If they produce in power 5 they probably have speed for next level. I'm not "top 10" high on Williams either but his lazy route running can be worked out. A lot of WR's in NCAA are lousy route runners which is why it usually takes a few years to break out for all but the incredibly physically gifted freaks. I think he will be a decent receiver at next level but I agree, top 10 too high. Sammy Watkins was probably a better prospect and he wasn't worth too 10.
          Exactly my point. Those guys probably ran the best routes in their perspective drafts. Had they run sub 4.5's they might have gone top 10. Allen had some red flags.

Comment

• Formula 21
            The Future is Now
            • Jun 2013
            • Republic of San Diego
            • Send PM

You can learn to run routes. You can't learn to be significantly faster.

Speed get the cash in the draft.
            Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
            The Wasted Decade is done.
            Build Back Better.

Comment

• Formula 21
              The Future is Now
              • Jun 2013
              • Republic of San Diego
              • Send PM

Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
              The Wasted Decade is done.
              Build Back Better.

Comment

Working...
              X
              😀
              😂
              🥰
              😘
              🤢
              😎
              😞