• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Pads dump Headley's salary

Solarte and A reliever DePaula coming back. Pathetic.

His market had completely dried up so not surprising value on return, butI called this three years ago. Think what they could have gotten then.

Why we're a joke of a franchise.
  • SFW
    PB Official Game Thread Starter
    • Jul 2013
    • NY
    • USMC
    • Send PM

Yes, they should have traded him a few seasons back but that was under different owners and management. Headley doesn't hit anymore and is a free agent at end of season, so his value was almost nil. They also only save $3M on the trade so I would not consider it a salary dump. Might as well trade him now for low value versus getting nothing for him after season when he leaves via free agency. They got an infielder that the team will control for the next six years. I would rather get that then another low level prospect that will probably never make it to the majors anyways.

The ownership group just took over the team in August 2012. I can't blame them for past errors or low spending. It would have been a PR nightmare if they would have dumped him in 2012 immediately after buying the team.
    1) Jason Verrett (CB) TCU
    2) Demarcus Lawrence (OLB) Boise St
    3) Will Sutton (DT) Arizona St
    4) Jarvis Landry (WR) LSU
    5) John Urschel (OC) Penn St
    6) Shamar Stephen (DT) UConn
    7) Brock Coyle (ILB) Montana

Comment

• Boltdog
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Lunar Surface
      • Nutrition Consultant
      • Send PM

Originally posted by SFWfromESPN View Post
      Yes, they should have traded him a few seasons back but that was under different owners and management. Headley doesn't hit anymore and is a free agent at end of season, so his value was almost nil. They also only save $3M on the trade so I would not consider it a salary dump. Might as well trade him now for low value versus getting nothing for him after season when he leaves via free agency. They got an infielder that the team will control for the next six years. I would rather get that then another low level prospect that will probably never make it to the majors anyways.
      Good breakdown. Do the Pads Troika appear fixated on getting utility infielders back for these trades? They already have Amarista, Gyorko, and Trea Turner who is just 2 years away given how good he is looking in A-ball. But infielders from Angels and Yanks keep on coming. Why don't they just hire a GM and let him start employing his long-term approach instead of these dump trades. Doesn't seem like much of a rationale behind these deals for our only value vets.

And it seems like we have never gotten anything decent back in trades with NYY--that I can think of--Only Ruben Rivera who showed flashes back in the day, but no discipline or brains to go with all those tools...
      Fighting for Carson...and Wilmington...ity:

Comment

Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

The ownership group just took over the team in August 2012. I can't blame them for past errors or low spending. It would have been a PR nightmare if they would have dumped him in 2012 immediately after buying the team.
        I'm familiar with his situation. At $3m "savings" to get that crap back, I'd just as soon they hung onto him and tried to get people out to the ballpark. That makes more sense to me. Solarte (at best) is a utility guy. Maybe DePaula has something but he has control issues and is a few years away. I actually don't even understand the purpose of the deal in this scenario.

As for what this ownership group "could" have done, if they'd dumped Headley and gotten some top notch young players I would have been thrilled. It ould have been better than signing Quentin and Street to long-term deals. No, they aren't responsible for the past, but they have to acknowledge it. They bought it. And they thought making some BS signings would paper over the problem. They've proven themselves to be not bright and not particularly resourceful when it comes to putting together a group sincere about winning, thus far. If you've followed the team for as long as I have (40 years), the same song different verse deal is pretty played out. I won't even buy or wear Padres gear anymore. I'm tired of caring more than they do.

Comment

• Millionaire Wussy
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jul 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR View Post
          I'm familiar with his situation. At $3m "savings" to get that crap back, I'd just as soon they hung onto him and tried to get people out to the ballpark. That makes more sense to me. Solarte (at best) is a utility guy. Maybe DePaula has something but he has control issues and is a few years away. I actually don't even understand the purpose of the deal in this scenario.

As for what this ownership group "could" have done, if they'd dumped Headley and gotten some top notch young players I would have been thrilled. It ould have been better than signing Quentin and Street to long-term deals. No, they aren't responsible for the past, but they have to acknowledge it. They bought it. And they thought making some BS signings would paper over the problem. They've proven themselves to be not bright and not particularly resourceful when it comes to putting together a group sincere about winning, thus far. If you've followed the team for as long as I have (40 years), the same song different verse deal is pretty played out. I won't even buy or wear Padres gear anymore. I'm tired of caring more than they do.

Truth. That is the truth.
          For Stinky-Jon-Wizzleteats....

"Pray for strength and healing oh and money!"

Comment

• SFW
            • Jul 2013
            • NY
            • USMC
            • Send PM

Originally posted by ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR View Post

1) Holding on to Headley to "get people to the ball" park makes no sense to me and seems really shortsighted. People aren't going now with him on the team because he isn't performing and the team isn't winning, so why would people suddenly start going because he is still on the team? Why keep a underperforming player and overpay him when he will be leaving in three months anyways?

2) Why should the new ownership group acknowledge past owners failures? I don't think they have to at all. People are only going to judge them on the success of the team while they own it.

3) What was wrong with the Street contract? In the last 2-3 seasons he had the highest save percentage in baseball and they were able to trade him for 3 of the Angels top 10 prospects largely due to the fact that teams will have control of him for another season. Without that extra year the haul of prospects would have been much less. Yes, I agree Quentin was a bad contract.

4) I am 39 years old, so I guess I haven't been following them for 40 years. I will not blame new owners for past owners issues. Personally I won't stop being a fan or displaying that I am a fan of the team because I think they made a bad trade or signing or even a few dozen bad trades. I understand being frustrated, it been a long line of failure but I have no issue displaying Padres gear with pride.

5) So far I have no issue with the new ownership. They have increased payroll. I like the Seth Smith contract, I liked bringing in Benoit (also very tradeable), I am glad they finally got rid of Headley, they are signing their draft picks above slot value, they are getting international signings (Despaigne) and they are taking their time on hiring a new GM.

Comment

Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

1) Holding on to Headley to "get people to the ball" park makes no sense to me and seems really shortsighted. People aren't going now with him on the team because he isn't performing and the team isn't winning, so why would people suddenly start going because he is still on the team? Why keep a underperforming player and overpay him when he will be leaving in three months anyways?
              To be clear, I don't give two shits about the economics of getting fans out to the park, especially since I don't even live in San Diego. But it makes more sense to me (i.e., I can justify it from ownership's perspective) than shipping him out for a bunch of filler. I promise you that even though people don't care about Chase Headley anymore anyway, at least 10 people were more likely to come see the team perform than the infield they started last night: Amarista, Goebbert, Conrad and Nelson. Confession: as someone who follows minor league baseball fairly closely...only Amarista out of that group had I heard of before June.

2) Why should the new ownership group acknowledge past owners failures? I don't think they have to at all. People are only going to judge them on the success of the team while they own it.
              If you interpreted "acknowledge" to mean that they needed to make a press release, you misunderstood. I meant, they needed to be aware of it and have it be a major factor in decision-making. To not do so is to assume that the perspective and memory of fans is limited only to their tenure. And it's just not.

3) What was wrong with the Street contract? In the last 2-3 seasons he had the highest save percentage in baseball and they were able to trade him for 3 of the Angels top 10 prospects largely due to the fact that teams will have control of him for another season. Without that extra year the haul of prospects would have been much less. Yes, I agree Quentin was a bad contract.
              There's nothing wrong with Huston Street. per se. I question signing a player for that role at those dollars when you are simply a non-competitive franchise. If you're a ~.500 team and your highest paid player is a closer your priorities are out of whack. If you do it and you're simultaneously claiming poverty, you're stupid. If you signed him to that deal and thought your team was going to challenge for a playoff spot, the same.

4) I am 39 years old, so I guess I haven't been following them for 40 years. I will not blame new owners for past owners issues. Personally I won't stop being a fan or displaying that I am a fan of the team because I think they made a bad trade or signing or even a few dozen bad trades. I understand being frustrated, it been a long line of failure but I have no issue displaying Padres gear with pride.
              I'm 46 and have been following this team (mostly from afar) since I was six. I lived in Germany during the '98 Series and took a week off of work so I could watch the games at 2AM on AFN with a scrambled signal and no sound (I listened to the radio simulcast on AFN so I could hear, but it was on a delay. Consequently, I got to see Tino Martinez's grand slam and got to hear it ten seconds later. Yay!) I'm a fan. That hasn't changed. But I am certainly a jaded fan. I was converted into one. I don't blame new owners for past mistakes. I didn't say I would stop being a fan for bad trades. But the franchise is the franchise regardless of ownership changes. I cannot ignore the history. I cannot ignore the lack of commitment and mismanagement.

I will not financially support this team any longer. At least I wont until the ownership actually shows some interest in making amends and re-engaging with the fanbase. I literally care more than the people that own it and I have for many years. I have spent countless dollars on gear, on flights to San Diego, on tickets for whole series' at a time, etc. And the management(s) of this franchise have consistently broken faith with the fans ("Keep the Faith" as a slogan is a complete joke) and have been poor stewards of the public's trust. I could start with Matt Bush and the ballpark and go through a litany with which you couldn't really much argue.

5) So far I have no issue with the new ownership. They have increased payroll. I like the Seth Smith contract, I liked bringing in Benoit (also very tradeable), I am glad they finally got rid of Headley, they are signing their draft picks above slot value, they are getting international signings (Despaigne) and they are taking their time on hiring a new GM.
              That's really surprising. I see them as more or less a continuation of Moores (post-Lucchino) and Moorad. OK, they've bumped salary on a bunch of ill-advised, bad contracts. You're pleased with that? They've done it for optics, but not to win. Just look at who they have targeted. All the proof you need. Seth Smith is a piece, not a centerpiece. You can't on the one hand say "I'm glad they finally got rid of Headley" one post after you praised the return and said they couldn't have dealt him sooner. Despaigne is a small sample size guy that projects to a long relief or back of rotation guy (at best). Will be interested to see what he does as teams see more of him. His batting average on balls in play is ridiculously low, suggesting a good deal of luck. Taking their time on the GM isn't praiseworthy. Hell 6 people refused to interview for the job. That's embarrassing. Byrnes was a terrible hire. And now they are letting the triumvirate make deals before bringing the new guy on. More mismanagement.

I see nothing about the new regime that suggest a significant or positive change. Mike Dee was a poor hire. This franchise just remains dysfunctional.

Comment

• SFW
                • Jul 2013
                • NY
                • USMC
                • Send PM

I'm sorry but I am a little confused on your stance. You want the owners to be different and spend money, but you don't want them to spend money on quality players like Street or Smith because they are either the wrong position or not a big enough star or "centerpiece". It seems as though unless you agree with the player decision made then the owners must not care, don't want to win or are just stupid. I think baseball is probably the hardest sport for a front office to navigate and build a team (especially a consistent winner). And the fact that there is no salary cap and large differences between team revenue makes it even more complex. I will give an ownership group more than 24 months before I give up on them. I will not let past owners or jaded experiences effect my views of a new regime. Again, I am not worried about the new stadium lies, Matt Bush and a million other past issues because those had nothing to do with the new regime and ownership. I understand you are jaded, you have the right to be.....but I think it is unfair to judge new owners for past owners mistakes. Mistakes will be made, every contract or signing will not work out, there is not one team in baseball that always gets it right but I am willing to give them a little time to try and build a quality team that I can be proud of.

And if you really believe that they sign players simply for the "optics" and don't want to win then we really don't need to keep discussing the team because we are just way too far apart on our views/opinions to change anything.

Comment

Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM