• Show
Clear All
  • Boltjolt
    Dont let the PBs fool ya
    • Jun 2013
    • Henderson, NV
    • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

We see things pretty close. Different targets but same ideal framework.
    I think your FA contract $ are on the low side but I hope you’re right.
    Henry is gonna cost 9-11 mil per. If Belichick really wants him it will be closer to 11 mil, maybe 11.5. Depends how much he wants to stay here as he has said he does. I think we need to keep him. He isnt Travis Kelce but he also isnt our top target as Kelce is for them and he makes 15 mil.
    11 Brock Bowers TE - Georgia (plus AZ 2025 1st)
    35 Kris Jenkins DT - Michigan
    37 Cooper Beebe OG -Kansas st
    66 Mike Sainristil CB - Michigan
    69 Jaylen Wright RB - Tenn or Blake Corum - Michigan
    100 Brenden Rice WR - USC (trade ⬆️w/ Wash for 2025 5th)
    110 Cedric Gray LB - N. Carolina
    140 Hunter Nourzad OC -Penn st
    181 Jarrian Jones CB - Florida st
    225 Cedrick Johnson Edge - Ol' Miss ➡️ 253 Fabien Lovett DT-FL st

Comment

• Boltjolt
      Dont let the PBs fool ya
      • Jun 2013
      • Henderson, NV
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post

Over past 2 seasons Turner has 22 starts. Scherff has 24 starts.

Scherff just turned 29 in Dec. Turner will turn 28 in June. 18 month difference in age.

I want Scherff because he is much better player at both run and pass blocking. He rated in top 10 in both this season.
      ​​​
      Scherff played 100% of snaps is 10 of his 13 starts.

Turner played in 100% of snaps in 4 of 9 starts.

Neither has started all 16 in 5 years.

Turner finished this season with 8 straight starts.
      Scherff 10 straight starts

If I'm paying a RG. Then I'd much rather pay Scherff.
      Just saying everyone is only down on Turner because he missed a lot of games. This is the first season he has missed more than 3 games. I just dont se the big turn over and we sign 5 higher priced free agents. That isnt a norm here. Id like to see a revamp of the OL but im thinking they thought they did that last season, lol. Bulaga was a bad signing as he was always hurt in GB.

I dont think they will let Henry get away and think they extend MW. Id be surprised if they dont.

Comment

• Lone Bolt
        Brock Bowers N.M.W.
        • Feb 2019
        • McLean Illinois
        • Pipefitter Illinois State University
        • Send PM

Cautiously optimistic we can salvage Turner...it would be a break if we could...already have enough spots to address on this line.
        The TPB makes plans....And Jim Harbaugh laughs...

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB, Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• Bolt Dude
          Draftnik
          • Oct 2020
          • Send PM

Using The Draft Network's mock draft simulator, here are my results:

1st. Christian Darrisaw, OT
          This pick is obvious, and the most responsible in terms of protecting Herbert, the most valuable asset on the team. Darrisaw was the highest rated OT in 2020 according to PFF (although no doubt Sewell would have taken that honor had he played). I like Rashawn Slater, too -- he has the quickest feet out of any o-lineman in the draft -- but Darrisaw has NFL size and length, and pretty good feet, as well. He can come in on day 1 and be an immediate upgrade.

2nd. Jay Tufele, DT
          I know what you're thinking: we need a high-flying edge defender to unlock Bosa's potential and free him from double teams. I get that, but there are 3 reasons Tufele makes more sense here:
          #1. He's too good a value at #45 to pass up. I was shocked the Draft Network's simulator dropped him that far.
          #2. We've seen what Jerry Tillery can do at DE, and it's not too shabby. Probably a better position for him in the NFL than DT. What Tillery doesn't do consistently from the DT position is pressure the QB and stuff the run. Tufele can. Besides, in 2021, I see Nwosu backing up Bosa on one side, and Rochelle backing up Tillery on the other. That's pretty good depth. I'm sure we can get a high-potential edge rusher in the 4-6th round, such as Elerson Smith II.
          #3. Justin Jones, while okay in run support, has absolutely no effect on passing downs.
          Essentially, Tufele will unlock Bosa as well as (if not better than) any DE in the draft.

3A. Elijah Molden, Nickel
          Bar none the best nickel corner in the draft. Gives me Eric Weddle vibes. Smart, twitched-up, instinctive, good in space, great in run support, versatile. Draft this kid and we got a bright future after Chris Harris; or we can just cut #25 and save cap.

3B. Greg Newsome II, CB
          Yes, another corner. Newsome's not going to help much with run support, but he can stick to speedy receivers in the open field like glue. Exceptionally polished for a 3rd rounder. Will be the future after Heyward, should the team choose to retain the rapidly declining corner.

I think we can find a serviceable center or guard in round 4 (Drake Jackson?).

There's excellent EDGE depth in this draft and the 5th round could hold gems like Myjai Sanders, Malcom Koonce, Shaka Toney, or the aforementioned Elerson Smith II.

We definitely need a suitable back-up/successor at NT behind Linval Joseph (sorry, but Damien Square ain't gonna cut it). I like Khyiris Tonga in the 6th.
          Our quarterback is a golden god.

Comment

• Boltnut
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Just saying everyone is only down on Turner because he missed a lot of games. This is the first season he has missed more than 3 games. I just dont se the big turn over and we sign 5 higher priced free agents. That isnt a norm here. Id like to see a revamp of the OL but im thinking they thought they did that last season, lol. Bulaga was a bad signing as he was always hurt in GB.

I dont think they will let Henry get away and think they extend MW. Id be surprised if they dont.
            Actually, I'm down on Turner because of the cost. I haven't suggested signing any higher priced FA's. His contract was specifically restructured so that he could be cut this off-season. Zero dead money is very suspicious. He's not worth $11.5 million. That money is best spent elsewhere. I've suggested that we bring in another guard to replace him at half the price (Ethan Pocic).

If Bulaga could be cut without a huge dead money hit ($14.5 mil)... I'd cut him, too. The contracts are structured with longevity in mind. Turner's the odd man out.

Chargers have 35 players signed for 2021 (if you exclude the 10 futures contracts they signed yesterday) with about $33 million in cap space. That's 18 spots to fill. 9 will be filled via the draft (Cost = $9 million...?). 9 spots for $20 million...? Someone is getting cut... it's just math.

Cutting Turner ($11.5 mil) just makes sense.
            If you could sign-and-trade MW, that would net you another #15.5 million.

Take the $27 million and make your roster better... $47 million to spend on 10 roster spots is easily done.

Comment

• Boltjolt
              Dont let the PBs fool ya
              • Jun 2013
              • Henderson, NV
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

Actually, I'm down on Turner because of the cost. I haven't suggested signing any higher priced FA's. His contract was specifically restructured so that he could be cut this off-season. Zero dead money is very suspicious. He's not worth $11.5 million. That money is best spent elsewhere. I've suggested that we bring in another guard to replace him at half the price (Ethan Pocic).

If Bulaga could be cut without a huge dead money hit ($14.5 mil)... I'd cut him, too. The contracts are structured with longevity in mind. Turner's the odd man out.

Chargers have 35 players signed for 2021 (if you exclude the 10 futures contracts they signed yesterday) with about $33 million in cap space. That's 18 spots to fill. 9 will be filled via the draft (Cost = $9 million...?). 9 spots for $20 million...? Someone is getting cut... it's just math.

Cutting Turner ($11.5 mil) just makes sense.
              If you could sign-and-trade MW, that would net you another #15.5 million.

Take the $27 million and make your roster better... $47 million to spend on 10 roster spots is easily done.
              Why not just extend Turner then? Makes the 11.5 a lot smaller.

MW will have to agree to a contract with another team before he is traded so one of us or him would be looking for suiters to agree to that. That way we have no dead money.

If we sign him then trade, he might have some dead money but I'm not sure how it worx as I'm no capologist and think his 15.6 becomes guaranteed if he is on the roster come March.... something. I don't know if that even matters if being traded with another contract.
              I think we have to tell him he has permission to seek a trade but I'm not sure they want to trade him.

We are losing Mel and perhaps Perryman, not sure what they do with Hayward and not sure they bring
              back any of our FA OL as TT said he knows we need to get better there.

Lots of decisions to be made.

Comment

• Boltnut
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Feb 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Why not just extend Turner then? Makes the 11.5 a lot smaller.

MW will have to agree to a contract with another team before he is traded so one of us or him would be looking for suiters to agree to that. That way we have no dead money.

If we sign him then trade, he might have some dead money but I'm not sure how it worx as I'm no capologist and think his 15.6 becomes guaranteed if he is on the roster come March.... something. I don't know if that even matters if being traded with another contract.
                I think we have to tell him he has permission to seek a trade but I'm not sure they want to trade him.

We are losing Mel and perhaps Perryman, not sure what they do with Hayward and not sure they bring
                back any of our FA OL as TT said he knows we need to get better there.

Lots of decisions to be made.
                If Turner were to agree to an extension, and sign for considerably less, then I'm open to extending him.
                I'd rather use the money to sign a better player (Linsley) that plays a more important position (OC).

Yes, MW would have to find a team that needs him (Colts, Jets) for agreed upon salary ($10 million?) before March 17th. I don't believe that any dead money would be incurred... as the signing bonuses (ect.) would be included in the new contract to a new team. I can't imagine the Chargers believe that 45 receptions a year is worth $15.6 million.

If they could extend MW for $9 million and Turner for $6 million ($12 million savings)... I could live with that. But say good-bye to signing Linsley... maybe even Henry or Davis.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                  Smooth Operation
                  • May 2017
                  • Send PM

We know how TT rolls. We want to draft well, and retain the "keepers." We want to let people finish out their contracts, once signed as free agents.

I do not understand how it is supposed to be a crisis at this early juncture,
                  that we don't have more players under control. The 2021 COVID induced cap is going to give us flexibility.

I can easily picture TT finding a way to sign HH, MW, MDavis, Jenkins..., and roll with Tevi--Lamp--Feeney at the reduced market value for below top tier OL.

We get to pin our hopes on Deano finding this "innovation" he speaks of.
                  We do not play modern football.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                    Smooth Operation
                    • May 2017
                    • Send PM

LB, I respect your scout's eye and your observations regarding Darrisaw's lack of consistent motor.

Consistency is vital at OL.

However, a lot of signs, including a near consensus from the punditry, point to Darrisaw @ #13.
                    We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Bolt Dude
                      Draftnik
                      • Oct 2020
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
                      LB, I respect your scout's eye and your observations regarding Darrisaw's lack of consistent motor.

Consistency is vital at OL.

However, a lot of signs, including a near consensus from the punditry, point to Darrisaw @ #13.
                      Darrisaw has some definite lapses, and the more I think about it, the more I'm leaning towards Alijiah Vera-Tucker in the first round.

Although our entire o-line's a mess, the interior seems more problematic than the edges. And it shows in the running game (especially in short yardage). AVT can fix that even though his bread and butter is pass protection. And even though Thibodeaux exposed AVT in the PAC-12 championship, AVT might eventually play OT in the NFL. His switch to tackle this year looked pretty seamless.

Besides, this draft looks deeper at OT than OG. I'd be happy with AVT (or maybe even Wyatt Davis) in the first and Eichenberg (or maybe Teven Jenkins) in the 2nd-3rd. Eichenberg's not an elite athlete, but his technical skills seem to make up for it. Jenkins is an athlete. He pretty much owned Ossai in the Texas game. It was impressive.

Comment

• La Costa Boy
                        Pretty much retired......
                        • Sep 2018
                        • JoJa
                        • Bloviator of hot air and rhetoric.
                        • Send PM

Here was my latest mock for fun. 3 OL and 3 DL for the trenches and some other stuff thrown in for shits and giggles.

Los Angeles Chargers

Kyle Pitts
                          TE, Florida

Los Angeles Chargers

Creed Humphrey
                          IOL, Oklahoma

Los Angeles Chargers

Jackson Carman
                          OT, Clemson

Los Angeles Chargers

Jordan Smith
                          EDGE, UAB

Los Angeles Chargers

Josh Ball
                          OT, Marshall

Los Angeles Chargers

Elerson Smith
                          EDGE, Northern Iowa

Los Angeles Chargers

Amari Rodgers
                          WR, Clemson

Los Angeles Chargers

Master Teague
                          RB, Ohio State

Los Angeles Chargers

Carlo Kemp
                          IDL, Michigan

Comment

• Bolt Dude
                          Draftnik
                          • Oct 2020
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by La Costa Boy View Post
                          Here was my latest mock for fun. 3 OL and 3 DL for the trenches and some other stuff thrown in for shits and giggles.

Kyle Pitts
                            TE, Florida

Creed Humphrey
                            IOL, Oklahoma

Jackson Carman
                            OT, Clemson

Jordan Smith
                            EDGE, UAB

Josh Ball
                            OT, Marshall

Elerson Smith
                            EDGE, Northern Iowa
                          Wouldn't be upset to draft Pitts in the 1st -- he'd probably be BPA -- but our O-line's been neglected for too damn long. If Justin Herbert isn't reason enough to draft an o-lineman in the first, then I dunno what is. Love the Creed pick. Avoid Jackson Carman. He's too slow to be a reliable OT in the NFL. Got beaten like a rented mule way too often. He's a serviceable guard at best. Really like the Josh Ball and Elerson Smith II picks.

Comment

Working...
                          X