Clear All
  • Lone Bolt
    Brock Bowers N.M.W.
    • Feb 2019
    • McLean Illinois
    • Pipefitter Illinois State University
    • Send PM

2021 Draft- Olinemen

By far, IMO, the biggest need this coming offseason is to address the oline. There isn't a single position along our line that couldn't use an upgrade...as far as I am concerned, no ones job should be safe...save a disappointing Bulaga, who may be too expensive to cut ties with...

But there is some good news...this draft has maybe one real star olineman to offer....but a ton of very nice prospects, ready to step in and step up in the NFL...and help a team right now.

So I wanted to create a hub thread to rank, discuss, break down oline prospects in the draft.

Last year was my first year with extensive film study, and QBs were my focus...and it was a blast. No longer will I be wholly reliant on pundit writeups...many of which I believe are just stolen from one another and redressed...

So rank the tackles, or rank the guards...or just go on a rant about your favorite sleeper...or do your own film study and drop some nuggets...it's all about identifying some draft solutions to our oline issues...

I will get started with some new observations I picked up watching film the past couple of days on a couple of prospects...just some quick nuggets/observations...

OT/OG Vera-Tucker= I already got a soft spot for Tweener Slater, so was being lazy about watching this guy...but after noting a few respected members singing his praise, I gave him a look. Currently, I now have him as my #3 overall olinemen regardless of position, behind Sewell and Slater. Like them, he moves exceptionally well, is aggressive and nasty, and plays to the whistle. This is the type of violence I want to bring to our oline...the kind of attitude. I would gladly take Slater and Vera-Tucker 1st and 2nd, and if ultimately neither one sticks at tackle, I wouldn't care, because I would have one hell of an interior oline.

OT Walker Little- Was high on this kid...and still am to some degree...but after being impressed with some of his 18' game film, I finally watched a game on him I didn't like...Notre Dame gave the whole Stanford line fits that year. Remember, thats the game that put Tillery on the map? It wasn't Tillery that was giving Little a hard time, but he didn't have a good game at all. It seemed to not jibe with a couple of other games I watched on him. He was beaten for multiple sacks, and missed/whiffed on several run blocks...it seemed uncharacteristic of his play that year. Bottom line, finding some potential issues on film, coupled with 2 years removed from his last game, I have a 3rd round grade at best on him now...might avoid picking him any sooner than our 3rd comp or 4th, where we would basically be taking a stab at a value steal.

OT Liam Eichenberg- OK....be honest. If TT didn't have a propensity for selecting golden domers, would you have a stale feeling about this prospect? Tagged with the dreaded "lack of athleticism" critique, which supposedly limits his ceiling, he becomes an afterthought in such a deep class...yet when I watch this guy, I see a solid, tech sound OT who actually moves pretty well in pass pro, and has adequate strength to hold up in the pros....I was actually pleasantly surprised, and where as his ceiling may not be quite as high as some second tier prospects, I think his floor is highest....ultimately a very safe pick, and IMO, an excellant pick to understudy/backup Bulaga for a year, before we ship him down the road. I will be watching him close this Friday. But right now, if this guy was there at the top of the third, I call it a steal, and I think he merits second round consideration.
    The TPB makes plans....

And Jim Harbaugh laughs...
  • JOJAX85
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Sep 2018
    • Irmo, SC
    • Send PM

I know that its almost unanimous that we got OL with our #1, but I'd argue that a dominant pass rusher on the other side of Bosa is just as important. We're obviously not going to get Sewell, but if a stud Edge is still on the board I'd grab him. Don't get me wrong, I certainly won't be upset with a OL pick with our 1st. But watching Drew Lock DREW FUCKING LOCK have ALL damn day to throw was infuriating.

Comment

• La Costa Boy
      Pretty much retired......
      • Sep 2018
      • JoJa
      • Bloviator of hot air and rhetoric.
      • Send PM

Originally posted by JOJAX85 View Post
      I know that its almost unanimous that we got OL with our #1, but I'd argue that a dominant pass rusher on the other side of Bosa is just as important. We're obviously not going to get Sewell, but if a stud Edge is still on the board I'd grab him. Don't get me wrong, I certainly won't be upset with a OL pick with our 1st. But watching Drew Lock DREW FUCKING LOCK have ALL damn day to throw was infuriating.
      That is very sound and complete logic......."DREW FUCKING LOCK".......made me laugh at the keyboard.

Comment

• FarAwayBoltFan
        San Diego Native
        • Feb 2019
        • Farmington, NM
        • Send PM

Originally posted by La Costa Boy View Post
        That is very sound and complete logic......."DREW FUCKING LOCK".......made me laugh at the keyboard.
        Reminds me of 2007 when an Indianapolis columnist wrote something along the lines of, "We got beat by a punter, Billy 'freakin' Volek, and a mighty elf named Darren Sproles"

Comment

• Boltnut
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Feb 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by JOJAX85 View Post
          Apparently, our "last of the 1st round" graded 3-tech is not a DE either...

Comment

• Boltnut
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2019
            • Send PM

Re: OT's... Every time I'm ready to claim one of these OT's as the official #2 best OT, I find a game where they were unspectacular.

At this point, my 2a is Slater and my 2b is Leatherwood. Both are very fine run blockers; both have shown some issues with inside moves from edge rushers.
            Cosmi has made a bunch of people's list lately. When I viewed his tape last year, I thought 3rd rounder. I will have to find some UT 2020 games to watch to re-evaluate.
            Dillon Radunz looks like he has length and feet to be a good NFL OT. Jackson Carmen is solid. Throw Darrisaw into the mix. Jalen Mayfield showed well against Chase young in 2019. As you said, Eichenburg has some good tape... Walker Little is so far removed from 2018 that it seems like a risk/reward pick...

In the end, it seems that there are 7 or 8 OT's that could be mid/late 1st round to mid/late 2nd round talents. I'm not opposed to waiting until the 2nd round to get an OT. As JoJax pointed out, we could use an EDGE rusher as well. Unfortunately, after Parsons and Rousseau, the pass rushers decline in talent (much like OT's after Sewell)...

It seems that we have played ourselves out of a desirable draft slot...

Comment

• wu-dai clan
              Smooth Operation
              • May 2017
              • Send PM

Nutty, the one-on-ones in Mobile
              should be enlightening.

Lone Bolt has seen inconsistency
              from Darrisaw.
              ​​​
              Lots of warts to remove.

We need to make allowances this year IMV.
              We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Lone Bolt
                Brock Bowers N.M.W.
                • Feb 2019
                • McLean Illinois
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post
                Re: OT's... Every time I'm ready to claim one of these OT's as the official #2 best OT, I find a game where they were unspectacular.

At this point, my 2a is Slater and my 2b is Leatherwood. Both are very fine run blockers; both have shown some issues with inside moves from edge rushers.
                Cosmi has made a bunch of people's list lately. When I viewed his tape last year, I thought 3rd rounder. I will have to find some UT 2020 games to watch to re-evaluate.
                Dillon Radunz looks like he has length and feet to be a good NFL OT. Jackson Carmen is solid. Throw Darrisaw into the mix. Jalen Mayfield showed well against Chase young in 2019. As you said, Eichenburg has some good tape... Walker Little is so far removed from 2018 that it seems like a risk/reward pick...

In the end, it seems that there are 7 or 8 OT's that could be mid/late 1st round to mid/late 2nd round talents. I'm not opposed to waiting until the 2nd round to get an OT. As JoJax pointed out, we could use an EDGE rusher as well. Unfortunately, after Parsons and Rousseau, the pass rushers decline in talent (much like OT's after Sewell)...

It seems that we have played ourselves out of a desirable draft slot...
                Maybe we are out of the running for Sewell...but our draft slot shouldn't hurt us too bad, with a deep oline class...we should have plenty of opportunities to add a couple of pieces, or even overhaul the whole damn line, should we choose.

Slater, Leatherwood, and Cosmi should all be available when we pick in the first...second tier OTs, they each lack one of the 3 main aspects I grade a Tackle by....Build, Technique, and attitude. Sewell gets top marks in all three...which is why he is best, and out of our reach.

Slater-Good technique and junkyard dog mentality...but odd size for a tackle. Consolation prize is he could be the best IOL in the draft, usable at Guard or Center, if length limits him at tackle.

Leatherwood-Great build and attitude...plays hard...but technique is still raw looking after all this time, which is frustrating...results in flat out misses in run and pass blocking.

Cosmi-Great build, and his technique is tops in this class...but not as mean and nasty as I would like...

Still...all three are good prospects...Slater my favorite by far, but any would be a welcome addition.
                The TPB makes plans....

Comment

• Lone Bolt
                  Brock Bowers N.M.W.
                  • Feb 2019
                  • McLean Illinois
                  • Send PM

Drake Jackson OC Kentucky....one of my favorite mid to late round prospects. Would love to nab this guy in the 4th round. All SEC first team OC last year...not a lot of tape this year. One game I saw a DT give him some fits...it was back in 18'...that would be Miss State's Jeffrey Simmons...so I give him a break on that one! First year starting....great OC prospect overall
                  The TPB makes plans....

Comment

• Lone Bolt
                    Brock Bowers N.M.W.
                    • Feb 2019
                    • McLean Illinois
                    • Send PM

Jaylen Mayfield RT Michigan...another pleasant surprise on tape. Has his misses, but has that junkyard dog mentality I'm always bringing up...Definitely a RT, but a very nice prospect at the position in the second round...a steal if he slips to the third...could work behind Bulaga for a year, then we can cut that contract loose...though the way Bulaga ends up on the injury report, Mayfield would probably be seeing action sooner rather than later....
                    The TPB makes plans....

Comment

• Boltnut
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
                      Nutty, the one-on-ones in Mobile
                      should be enlightening.

Lone Bolt has seen inconsistency
                      from Darrisaw.
                      ​​​
                      Lots of warts to remove.

We need to make allowances this year IMV.
                      I always enjoy watching the 1-on-1's at Mobile. Although, I know OL works in conjunction. But can showcase foot-speed and mirror.
                      After Sewell, they all have warts. If you like the backside of Tier-2 as much as the frontside... 2nd round is the OT choice. Slater vs. Carman.

Nutty might consider WR or CB with the 12th pick this year (I know... idealogical blasphemy on my part!) Slater, Surtain, Fareley, Waddle, Smith, Bateman, Darrisaw, Cosmi...

"Damn! We're in a tight spot!"

Comment

• FarAwayBoltFan
                        San Diego Native
                        • Feb 2019
                        • Farmington, NM
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
                        Nutty, the one-on-ones in Mobile should be enlightening.
                        I wonder if, due to covid protocols, there will be any one-on-ones at the Senior Bowl in Mobile. Talent evaluation this year is shaping up to potentially be the most difficult ever. Although always true, this year in particular careers could be made and franchises built on shrewd evaluation.

Comment

Working...
                        X