• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bolt Dude
    Draftnik
    • Oct 2020
    • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

Penei is the only trade up that is of real value.
    4 QBs go before we pick. The chances of a top 7/8 prospect falling to us is good.
    Totally agree. And it also wouldn’t surprise me if a team moved up via trade to reach for Mac Jones. Roughly 10 franchises need a QB. If the guy we want isn’t there at #13, we might see a trade down opportunity with a team like the Saints, the Football Team, the Colts. Especially if they think the Pats are eying Jones at #15.
    Our quarterback is a golden god.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
      Smooth Operation
      • May 2017
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post

Sometimes even best in business get beat.
      but he only allowed 55 yd when thrown at that day.
      So it wasn't like he was getting burned for big plays.

Whatever troubles Ramsey had in Green Bay, I attribute it to Aaron Donald's rib injury.

It starts up front, especially when you are talking about this dude at 100%.

I can certainly live with Farley @ #13 as our Ramsey--he's that good--better than Surtain in my view.

What excites me is this. Staley did a bang up job scheming to move Donald around and get one-on-one blocking.

Visualize Joey.

We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Boltnut
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2019
        • Send PM

I think Staley will use a variety of players in a variety of ways. Going into the season, I think he'll be looking for a player to play ILB/OLB in the 1st round. Gotta be deep at LB if you're gonna ask people to play a hybrid 4-3 or 3-4 defense. The pressure could come from the inside or outside when blitzing. And it might be a good idea to vary that pressure from play to play... disguise. Uchenna is an OLB. Murray...? I haven't decided yet. He could be effective from either position. Gus mis-used him. He's a downhill player that should be attacking and chasing. After those 2 players, I think it gets a bit hazy. Will Perryman be brought back? Will Vigil be brought back? Will Tranquil be healthy? I think Jessie Lemonier is a diamond in the rough and will be good depth at OLB.

The guy that jumps out at me is Zaven Collins. He looks like a versatile LB. Could play OLB... could play ILB. He's raw... having played QB in HS.
        A LB corps of: Nwosu, Perryman, Collins, and Murray would be a wrecking crew. Pressure could come from anywhere.
        Lemonier, Tranquil, Vigil, Kyzir would be great depth... and lots a variety there.

Having said that, I think that CB is a position that could be targeted in the 3rd round. For 2 reasons... 1) I don't see a huge drop-off in talent from #1 to #10 CB. 2) If we're chasing Jalen Ramsey... this class doesn't have him. BTW... I'm saving that 2nd round pick for OT.

On top of that, I think there will be some FA CB's that are mid-level salary candidates. I think we draft a CB in the 3rd and get another through FA. That could change depending on what Staley does with Mike Davis. Also depends Staley's evaluation of Hayward and Harris Jr. I agree with Bolt Dude (sorry Woody) that Hayward is better suited for zone than man-to-man. Having said that, Staley used a bit of both man and zone in LA. Like everyone says, Staley will play to players strengths.

My CB rankings thus far: 1. Farley 2. Surtain 3. Horn 4. Wade 5. Molden 6. Wilson 7. Graham Jr. 8. Bynum 9. Samuel Jr. 10. Mukuamo

Comment

• Bolt Dude
          Draftnik
          • Oct 2020
          • Send PM

Re: Elijah Molden

Newest PFF mock has Molden goin to the Chiefs at #32. Kinda knew Molden would be in the rise...

PFF commentary:
          The Chiefs have specialized in hybrid cornerback-safety types in recent years, and Molden is that guy in this draft class. He has Tyrann Mathieu-like potential, and Mathieu hits free agency after the 2021 season. Molden has a 91.2 coverage grade when playing in the slot, one of the best marks we’ve seen since 2014. He projects as somewhere between a Mike Hilton and Mathieu-caliber player, and if that’s where he lands, he’s a top-32 value in this draft class and a perfect fit in Kansas City.

Comment

• Critty
            Dominate the Day.
            • Mar 2019
            • Send PM

I think Jaycee Horn may be the best fit for a Staley defense.
            Staley rather use light boxes. So having physical toughness and tackling from secondary in run support is just as important as the coverage. Horn is versatile and can play man and zone. And you know the NFL game won't be to big for this kid.

Who has it better than us?

Comment

• Bolt Dude
              Draftnik
              • Oct 2020
              • Send PM

A few CBs that are rising in Senior Bowl workouts include: Aaron Robinson, Benjamin St-Juste, and Aubrey Thomas.

R. Williams put in a good 1st day before tweaking himself.

Fallers include Robert Rochell, Tre Brown, Ifeatu Melifonwu, and Bynum.

Anyone else you guys notice?

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                Smooth Operation
                • May 2017
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post
                I think Jaycee Horn may be the best fit for a Staley defense.
                Staley rather use light boxes. So having physical toughness and tackling from secondary in run support is just as important as the coverage. Horn is versatile and can play man and zone. And you know the NFL game won't be to big for this kid.

Why didn't I think of this ? :shifty:

BTW and yet you mock Farley, who tackles like Cro or Deion, and won't even be there @ #13. :thumbsup:

Comment

• Critty
                  Dominate the Day.
                  • Mar 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

Why didn't I think of this ? :shifty:

BTW and yet you mock Farley, who tackles like Cro or Deion, and won't even be there @ #13. :thumbsup:
                  I know.

The Staley hire and how he mixes and matches defense put me on my heels this draft.

I really want a lockdown ballhawk at CB, and still do, but I have been trying to consider what a Staley defense built from back to front should target. IMO, Horn is a great fit.

​​​I am an idiot compared to Staley football IQ.
                  I'm trying to catch up.
                  Who has it better than us?

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                    Smooth Operation
                    • May 2017
                    • Send PM

Critt--y. :biggrin:

(see signature !)

Comment

• Boltjolt
                      Dont let the PBs fool ya
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Henderson, NV
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt Dude View Post
                      A few CBs that are rising in Senior Bowl workouts include: Aaron Robinson, Benjamin St-Juste, and Aubrey Thomas.

R. Williams put in a good 1st day before tweaking himself.

Fallers include Robert Rochell, Tre Brown, Ifeatu Melifonwu, and Bynum.

Anyone else you guys notice?
                      Not watching. Im waiting for game day.
                      11 Brock Bowers TE - Georgia
                      35 Kris Jenkins DT - Michigan
                      37 Cooper Beebe OG -Kansas st
                      66 Mike Sainristil CB - Michigan
                      69 Jaylen Wright RB - Tenn or Blake Corum - Michigan
                      105 Brenden Rice WR - USC
                      110 Cedric Gray LB - N. Carolina
                      140 Hunter Nourzad OC - Penn st
                      181 Cedrick Johnson Edge - Mississippi
                      225 Josh Procter S-Ohio st /253 Dwight McGlothern CB -Ar​

Comment

• Bolt Dude
                        Draftnik
                        • Oct 2020
                        • Send PM

Per PFF:
                        ”The Chargers' top three corners in coverage snaps, Michael Davis, Casey Hayward Jr. and Chris Harris Jr., earned PFF coverage grades of 62.9, 59.5 and 57.4, respectively, in 2020. That performance is a far cry from the marks earned by Jalen Ramsey (80.3), Troy Hill(75.7) and Darious Williams (79.6).”

Damn, I hope some of those Rams CB numbers were inflated by Staley’s scheme. Otherwise there might be more work to do than I thought.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                          Smooth Operation
                          • May 2017
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt Dude View Post
                          Per PFF:
                          ”The Chargers' top three corners in coverage snaps, Michael Davis, Casey Hayward Jr. and Chris Harris Jr., earned PFF coverage grades of 62.9, 59.5 and 57.4, respectively, in 2020. That performance is a far cry from the marks earned by Jalen Ramsey (80.3), Troy Hill(75.7) and Darious Williams (79.6).”

Damn, I hope some of those Rams CB numbers were inflated by Staley’s scheme. Otherwise there might be more work to do than I thought.
                          It appears Darious and Troy were up for the challenge
                          when they were being targeted by teams
                          who were staying away from Jalen Ramsey.

Don't let anything stop you,
                          as there is definitely work to do.

Comment

Working...
                          X