• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bolt Dude
    Draftnik
    • Oct 2020
    • Send PM

2021 Draft - Corners

It's pretty obvious that the Chargers need to acquire some youth at the cornerback position. Both Casey Heyward and Chris Harris, Jr. are in noticeable decline with constant injuries and dwindling speed. Perhaps more than any other position, the phrase "wrong side of 30" applies to corners. Sharing a division with Ruggs Jr., Agholor, Hill, Hardman, Hammler, and Jeudy doesn't help either.

Who do you guys like at CB? Either in the draft, or even FA. I love the progress Michael Davis has shown and would be shocked if he wasn't resigned. But beyond that, we need quality youth.

Fortunately, this year's draft class looks as deep at CB as last year's was at WR. And I wouldn't be surprised if the Chargers picked two in the later rounds.

After watching tape, my mid-round favorites are Elijah Molden and Keith Taylor (both from Washington) and Greg Newson II from Northwestern.

Molden plays nickel, and is the best one in the draft, IMO. He's a sure tackler with great instincts, and every analyst uses phrases like "coach on the field" or "student of the game" when describing him. He's smart, too. Not just in the football sense, but in the Justin Herbert sense, as Molden is a finalist for the Campbell Trophy award (AKA the student-athlete Heisman). Even though he's not a safety like Weddle, Molden gives me Eric Weddle vibes. I think he could fill that nickel spot as a rookie and give us immediate options for what to do with Chris Harris, Jr. His major flaw is that he tends to over pursue targets in space.

Keith Taylor gives me Michael Davis vibes, except that he's already developed the habit of looking back for the ball. He's 6'3, looks fluid, and won't get beat deep unless the throw is perfect. He's not an over-eager tackler, but shows a nasty streak when he does.

Greg Newsome II is the best pure cover guy of the three, but I worry about him in run support as he seems to shy away from contact. But vertically and in the open field, he's extremely sticky and plays with the kind of arrogant swagger I like to see in outside corners. Overall, he's more polished than Taylor, but not nearly as gritty as Molden.

That being said, I think there are some overrated CB prospects in this draft class, namely Derion Kendrick, Asante Samuel, Kary Vincent, Jr., and Shaun Wade. I was mortified to see the Chargers select Shaun Wade in Todd McShay's latest mock. Maybe he's not seeing what I am, specifically Wade getting consistently beat downfield and an unwillingness in run support.

Who do you guys like??
    Last edited by Bolt Dude; 01-08-2021, 11:20 AM.
    Our quarterback is a golden god.
  • like54ninjas
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Oct 2017
    • Great White North
    • Draftnik
    • Send PM

Here are some of my favorites......

CALEB FARLEY - CB - VT - RJR - 6’2” / 207# - True shutdown CB who excels in a variety of coverage techniques, long, exceptional speed (4.3s) to carry WRs downfield, fluid mover with exceptional COD/agility, BALLHAWK with ballskills (6 INTs), WR convert, instant acceleration to plant/break on ball, combative at catch point, excellent understanding of route concepts, slow plays long developing routes to bait QBs, uses both 1 & 2 hand jam techniques, quality open field tackler, short memory/confidence abounds, uses sideline as a defender,needs to be more physical in edge run support.

ERIC STOKES - CB - UGA - RJR - 6’1” / 190# - Flat out beastly athlete at the corner position. Really improved his physicality and ballskills timing last half of 19 and superb in 20. Elite speed (4.3s) and burst (1.4s) combined with length, IQ, route recognition, and body control/contact balance to play any coverage. Physical in run support, bodies receivers against sideline, hands are disruptive at release/initial route break/TOR/CP, funnels opponents into help, ability to undercut yet still recover, ST monster, incredible flexibility in hips/ankles allows for easy mirror movements in close contact. Will bite on double moves, occasionally drifts in deep third coverage, gets flagged for timing of catch disruption too often ( this hasn’t been an issue in 20).

ROBERT ROCHELL - CB - UCA - RSR - 6’2” / 195# - Fast (4.3s), explosive (40+ vert), coverage demon with length for days. Built like a brick shithouse/dense muscular frame, big hitter that wraps up, fights off blocks, plays press/off man/off zone with excellent feet and body control, true BALLHAWK (10 INTS), excellent mirroring footwork, incredible speed turns, low quick pedal, snap COD skills, ball disrupter, good route recognition, must improve his TOR skills.

JAYCEE HORN - (CB) - SC - JR - 6’1” / 205#
    — Exciting package of size, speed, agility, intensity, competitiveness, and physicality. NFL heritage (Joe Horn’s son), tremendous COD/agility, excels in press/off-man, and off-zone, disruptive hands at catch point, very physical at TOR and CP, excellent footwork in pedal/transition/plant-break, explosive closing burst/speed, enthusiasm for edge/run support, quality physical tackler, quality but not elite ballskills, good flexibility to flip hips and run routes for WR, too handsy on double moves.

ZYON MCCOLLUM - CB - SHSU - 6’4” / 200# - 4.4 ballhawk with size/length, excellent ankle/hip flexibility, understands route concepts, GAME CHANGER (9 INT/2 pick 6’s), disrupts catch point, speed turns need work, explosive plant/drive ability from zone back pedal, strong hands for ripping ball away, tremendous vision in locating potential receiving threats in zone, loves contact/fierce in run support, impact tackler, impressive closing burst, needs work on TOR denial techniques, sleeper until the combine

KEITH TAYLOR - CB - UWA - SR - 6’3” / 200# - Big, long, physical, savvy, boundary corner who excels in zone coverage. Had fantastic overall 18 season with a drop off in production in 19 but technically was improved. KT has solid footwork through transitions, ankle flexibility, a bit tight through hips, excellent length, is disruptive in press/@ catch point, long speed is adequate but not spectacular, loves contact and will hit you, stellar tackler in run support from sideline to inside force, does well picking up route combinations. A smart, disciplined, patient CB in man or zone responsibilities.

COBY BRYANT - CB - UC - SR - 6’1” / 198# - Playmaker, excellent COD/mirroring skills, strikes when he tackles, tremendous route recognition , very good ballskills/ball disruption, contact balance, moderate deep speed, good not great closing burst, physical jam techniques (1 & 2 hand/ snap punch/push-pull/slap-drive)

FA Targets I like........

Fabian Moreau - 6’ / 195#

Darqueze Dennard - 5’11” / 205#
    My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
    K9
    Nasir
    Tillery
    Parham
    Reed

Comment

• Lone Bolt
      Brock Bowers N.M.W.
      • Feb 2019
      • McLean Illinois
      • Pipefitter Illinois State University
      • Send PM

Dude...Ninja...good stuff fellas. Gotta say though Dude...I got my eye on rounds 1 and 2...think we may need a starter, sooner than later.

Surtain and Farley in the first...maybe Horn falls to second...Stokes another day 2 guy. Asante Samuel Jr.?
      The TPB makes plans....

And Jim Harbaugh laughs...

Comment

• Bolt Dude
        Draftnik
        • Oct 2020
        • Send PM

Nice scouting eye.

Absolutely love Eric Stokes. I've got him pegged at CB3, ahead of Jaycee Horn. Stokes was the only UGA CB who wasn't lit the heck up in that BAMA game...although he did get beat for a TD (the route and pass were perfect though -- not much he could do).

I see Stokes, as well as Horn, and, obviously, Farley as 1st round locks. And don't see the Chargers drafting a corner until at least the 3rd (unless someone slips dramatically).

Rochell looks promising. It'll be interesting to see him compete at the Senior Bowl. And if he backs up his 40 and vertical numbers at the combine, he could rocket into the 2nd round.

Zyon, too. It'll be interesting to see how a 6'4 corner scores in the agility drills. If he shines, it'd be tremendous. I worry, however, about the level of competition he faced at Sam Houston State.

Coby Bryant looks to be a total sleeper -- totally missing from most draft boards -- even though anyone who watched Bearcat football saw him tear it up.

Great stuff, man!

Comment

• like54ninjas
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Oct 2017
          • Great White North
          • Draftnik
          • Send PM

Farley is my ideal pick @13 as of now.
          Stokes is CB3 for me as well. Love his improvements from 19 to 20.

Rochell is a freak athlete with elite CB traits but is raw. He will blow up the combine. My estimate is 4.37, 42+ vertical, 140 BJ, 4.10 SS.....crazy explosion traits. Watch these.....

Zyon is a freak athlete too. At 18 he ran a 4.40, 37” vertical, and 4.03 SS which match his film. Crazy ballskills and is a hitter. His twin brother is a DS for SHSU too.

Level of competition is the question for both.

MikeDub
          K9
          Nasir
          Tillery
          Parham
          Reed

Comment

• Bolt Dude
            Draftnik
            • Oct 2020
            • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

Rochell is a freak athlete with elite CB traits but is raw. He will blow up the combine. My estimate is 4.37, 42+ vertical, 140 BJ, 4.10 SS.....crazy explosion traits. Watch these.....

Zyon is a freak athlete too. At 18 he ran a 4.40, 37” vertical, and 4.03 SS which match his film. Crazy ballskills and is a hitter. His twin brother is a DS for SHSU too.

After whiffing on Adderley and Pipkins, Telesco might steer clear of D.II prospects this year. Could be a matter of job security.

Still like Molden as my favorite non-day-1 corner, even though he's a nickel. Dude's tape is just too good. Really like Keith Taylor, too. Wonder if there's any advantage of drafting Molden and Taylor in the same draft since they've already got years of live-game chemistry together. Could see Molden in round 3 and Taylor in 5.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
              Smooth Operation
              • May 2017
              • Send PM

Asante Samuel.
              Ball skills and instincts for days.
              Just like his dad.
              Look at the horrid LAC turnover ratio.
              Samuel can hold up on the outside
              at 5'10" .
              You don't know ball

Comment

• like54ninjas
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Oct 2017
                • Great White North
                • Draftnik
                • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
                Asante Samuel.
                Ball skills and instincts for days.
                Just like his dad.
                Look at the horrid LAC turnover ratio.
                Samuel can hold up on the outside
                at 5'10" .
                Good kid. I like him better at NCB. I want size and speed together on the outside.

MikeDub
                K9
                Nasir
                Tillery
                Parham
                Reed

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                  Smooth Operation
                  • May 2017
                  • Send PM

Good kid. I like him better at NCB. I want size and speed together on the outside.
                  I know you are a DNA guy.

You don't know ball

Comment

• Boltjolt
                    Dont let the PBs fool ya
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Henderson, NV
                    • Send PM

WW, thats some explosion there. Id like to see some pass rushers do that.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                      Smooth Operation
                      • May 2017
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

WW, thats some explosion there. Id like to see some pass rushers do that.
                      Like Derwin ?
                      :biggrin:
                      You don't know ball

Comment

• Bolt Dude
                        Draftnik
                        • Oct 2020
                        • Send PM

Rochell is a freak athlete with elite CB traits but is raw. He will blow up the combine. My estimate is 4.37, 42+ vertical, 140 BJ, 4.10 SS.....crazy explosion traits.

Speaking of physical freaks, have you seen the sleeper WR prospect Josh Imatorbhebe? I read he had a 47 in vertical and quickly called bullshit.
                        But then I saw THIS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgkCxnSHV7w
                        Dude literally hovers in the air like a drone.

To put it in perspective, that's 15 inches higher than Mike Williams jumped at the combine. And Imatorbhebe's only an inch shorter. Could the Bolts land a new jump-ball receiver??
                        He certainly uses his hops in his highlight vid.: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ijOAPKUbG4 (check the jump ball against Michigan)

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        😀
                        😂
                        🥰
                        😘
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😞
                        😡