• Show
Clear All
  • DragonIce
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Mar 2021
    • Arizona
    • Send PM

Why this drafts' coming insanity could help the Chargers

The league has always valued quarterbacks, but lately the QB stock market has started spiking like Bitcoin. Virtually every quarterback has been a fast riser on the boards...except for those who were so close to the top that they had no further spot to jump. Teams will do *anything* to acquire a top 12 QB, to grab a guy who *might* be their QB salvation. Do you remember what the Rams gave Detroit? Did you see how big an offer Seattle received for Russell Wilson? Quarterbacks are now EVERYTHING.

As crazy as it sounds I could see five or six quarterbacks go in the top 15, and the top four picks could *all* be signal-callers. It only takes enough random GM's to have enough random beliefs... and an environment of full frenzy.

-Lawrence goes #1 as the next Andrew Luck
    -The Jets grab Wilson as the next Steve Young
    -The Patriots could see Mac Jones as the next Brady?
    -Carolina thinks Trey Lance is the next Josh Allen?
    -Eagles might see Fields as a Steve McNair or Desaun Watson
    -Chris Simms has declared his belief in Mond, comparing him to Dak. It only takes one GM to see it the same
    -Davis Mills was seen as day 2 pick until this week, where he scorched his 40-time and throwing session

There are now seven (7!) QBs in the discussion as possible franchise fits. And in the hunt? Jacksonville, NYJets, NY Giants, Chicago, New Orleans, New England, Denver, Carolina, Atlanta, WFT, San Francisco, Lions, Steelers...maybe even the Seahawks, Raiders, Bucs, Vikings, Texans, Dolphins.

Chum in the water. LOTS of HUNGRY sharks. Frenzy.

Quarterback starved teams aren't going to "wait their turn" in the draft. They are going to push their way towards the top of the draft to "get their guy."

I won't be surprised to see the Chargers get one of the top two tackles, or one of the top 3 defensive players. And if we are fortunate, we might be in position to snag a 2022 1st round draft pick merely to move down four or six spots. Trading to one of these many teams targeting a top-7 QB could help this franchise load up. We Chargers already have our quarterback!
    Last edited by DragonIce; 03-21-2021, 09:10 PM.
  • Bolt Dude
    Draftnik
    • Oct 2020
    • Send PM

I like your optimism, and I agree. We could see a Jaws-like feeding frenzy in the top of the 1st round. Especially with Davis Mills’ lights-out performance at Stanford’s pro day.

As I said in another thread, Burrows and Herbert’s immediate success has made every QB needy GM extra horny for a stud QB on a rookie deal.

Unless you get Tom Brady in FA, it’s seen as the #1 way to build a contending franchise.

There’s blood in the water.
    Our quarterback is a golden god.

Comment

• DragonIce
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Mar 2021
      • Arizona
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt Dude View Post
      I like your optimism, and I agree. We could see a Jaws-like feeding frenzy in the top of the 1st round. Especially with Davis Mills’ lights-out performance at Stanford’s pro day.

As I said in another thread, Burrows and Herbert’s immediate success has made every QB needy GM extra horny for a stud QB on a rookie deal.

Unless you get Tom Brady in FA, it’s seen as the #1 way to build a contending franchise.

There’s blood in the water.
      Absolutely. A few of these QBs will likely be plug'n play. Lance and Mills are likely going to need at least a full season to learn. But for some teams that's quite alright. "Strike now when there's a bumper crop" these GM's will say. I simply don't see a team...who sees a guy they really like...waiting around til the back half of the first round. Not with the new view of QB Gold.
      Last edited by DragonIce; 03-21-2021, 09:12 PM.

Comment

• Leslie Grossman
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Nov 2020
        • Oklahoma
        • Send PM

the chum is in the water and the Bears and Washington are extra horny to move up as well ..."We're gonna need a bigger boat"

Comment

• DragonIce
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Mar 2021
          • Arizona
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Leslie Grossman View Post
          the chum is in the water and the Bears and Washington are extra horny to move up as well ..."We're gonna need a bigger boat"
          Timeless reference, :cheers:

Comment

Working...
          X