• Show
Clear All
  • Boltjolt
    Dont let the PBs fool ya
    • Jun 2013
    • Henderson, NV
    • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post

Regards the bold above; Not true, we have a lot of $$ left. Some of that could have gone toward keeping HH.
    That and their rookie QB isn't treating HH as a best friend. He only has 35 receptions and the other TE they paid good money too only has 26.

Comment

• Critty
      Dominate the Day.
      • Mar 2019
      • Send PM

Regards the bold above; Not true, we have a lot of $$ left. Some of that could have gone toward keeping HH.

They say it's takes about 3 years to see what a draft class is in the NFL.

Supposedly the Telesco philosophy is draft well, develop and resign your own. I'm was not seeing that philosophy show up as much as I'd like to see it, but maybe Telesco has turned the corner. I'm not sure.

2019 class is in it's 3rd season. Adderley, Tranquill, Tillery are starters. Pipkins may or may not develop. But how many will be resigned when it's time for Telesco to decide, assuming he still has the job.

2018 class is in it's 4th season. And it has some very good players that could be long term answers.
      James-S will be resigned and kept for sure, but Nwousu-LB, White-LB, Jones-DT, even jitterbug Jackson-RB are all going to be UFA this off season. How many get re-signed?

The entire 2017 draft except Mike Williams was allowed to walk and I have a feeling Williams won't be resigned and that Palmer will take his place. So none of that draft was resigned if Mike walks.

Only Bosa was resigned from 2016 draft.

None of the 2015 remain and including the RB Gordon Telesco traded up for.

None of the 2014 we're resigned.

Only Allen was re-signed from 2013.

In his GM career over 1st 5 drafts, Telesco found Allen and Bosa that were resigned. And Williams maybe?

I don't know how many get resigned from his 2018 and 2019 over next couple off seasons.
      But if it's only James and all the others walk as has happened in previous drafts, then his philosophy is all talk because the resume shows there is very little resigning of his own.

Henry-TE being an example of a solid versatile starting veteran with great hands who also showcased the ability to line up out wide, slot, hback. I don't think Henry got a can't match it deal.

Cook who replaced him has a resume with career catch percentage of 60%. With his best ever season being 66% and multiple percentages in the 50s.

Henry career is 69% with with his lowest being 64% and 3 season in the low 70s.

The little things help win games. And the eye test says Henry has much better hands and route running and blocking ability.
      The stats show he catches nearly 10% higher clip than Cook.

Somehow I get the feeling if Henry was at TE, he helps beat the Cheifs by actually catching the TD pass than Cook struggled to make.
      Who has it better than us?

Comment

• chargeroo
        Fan since 1961
        • Jan 2019
        • Oregon
        • Retired Manager/Pastor
        • Send PM

Good post Critty - thanks for the time you spent on it.
        THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• gzubeck
          Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
          • Jan 2019
          • Tucson, AZ
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post

They say it's takes about 3 years to see what a draft class is in the NFL.

Supposedly the Telesco philosophy is draft well, develop and resign your own. I'm was not seeing that philosophy show up as much as I'd like to see it, but maybe Telesco has turned the corner. I'm not sure.

2019 class is in it's 3rd season. Adderley, Tranquill, Tillery are starters. Pipkins may or may not develop. But how many will be resigned when it's time for Telesco to decide, assuming he still has the job.

2018 class is in it's 4th season. And it has some very good players that could be long term answers.
          James-S will be resigned and kept for sure, but Nwousu-LB, White-LB, Jones-DT, even jitterbug Jackson-RB are all going to be UFA this off season. How many get re-signed?

The entire 2017 draft except Mike Williams was allowed to walk and I have a feeling Williams won't be resigned and that Palmer will take his place. So none of that draft was resigned if Mike walks.

Only Bosa was resigned from 2016 draft.

None of the 2015 remain and including the RB Gordon Telesco traded up for.

None of the 2014 we're resigned.

Only Allen was re-signed from 2013.

In his GM career over 1st 5 drafts, Telesco found Allen and Bosa that were resigned. And Williams maybe?

I don't know how many get resigned from his 2018 and 2019 over next couple off seasons.
          But if it's only James and all the others walk as has happened in previous drafts, then his philosophy is all talk because the resume shows there is very little resigning of his own.

Henry-TE being an example of a solid versatile starting veteran with great hands who also showcased the ability to line up out wide, slot, hback. I don't think Henry got a can't match it deal.

Cook who replaced him has a resume with career catch percentage of 60%. With his best ever season being 66% and multiple percentages in the 50s.

Henry career is 69% with with his lowest being 64% and 3 season in the low 70s.

The little things help win games. And the eye test says Henry has much better hands and route running and blocking ability.
          The stats show he catches nearly 10% higher clip than Cook.

Somehow I get the feeling if Henry was at TE, he helps beat the Cheifs by actually catching the TD pass than Cook struggled to make.
          I don't think it's been our offense that's been the problem. It's our defense and especially when we get thin in the DB area. In hindsight we all debated whether we should have kept an expensive Hunter Henry or a Mike Williams, who we haven't resigned, and maybe we should have kept Hunter because that would have been better for a couple more years at least with one less cog to worry about. I can see bulaga gone plus cook and maybe Mike Williams. Mike Williams would not be a bust in not resigning but simply an economic one where it just doesn't make sense like Melvin Gordon. It might not entirely be Telescos problem in this Day and Age of unrealistic demands teams are getting from players where cost/benefit doesn't pan out there. I see some kind of restructuring needed for Herbert's contract in the nearby horizon which eclipses all these other issues.

:hello:
          Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Dec 2019
            • Send PM

Roo is right - Chargers are carrying 10m of cap space. Hunter Henry's first year cap hit was only $6.5m. I get it balloons to $15m next year but again, those numbers could be tweaked. Cook is a cap hit of $4.5m. So the Chargers, if they truly wanted, could have signed Henry to the deal the Pats got him for, only added a few million to this years cap and been fine wise for the cap this year and future years.

Comment

• Topcat
              AKA "Pollcat"
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Roo is right - Chargers are carrying 10m of cap space. Hunter Henry's first year cap hit was only $6.5m. I get it balloons to $15m next year but again, those numbers could be tweaked. Cook is a cap hit of $4.5m. So the Chargers, if they truly wanted, could have signed Henry to the deal the Pats got him for, only added a few million to this years cap and been fine wise for the cap this year and future years.
              Maybe HH didn't WANT to sign with the Bolts...

Comment

• Berserker76
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Nov 2019
                • Send PM

Let's not forget, folks, that HH also had a few issues with injuries. If not for that, I think they would have re-signed him.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Dec 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Maybe HH didn't WANT to sign with the Bolts...
                  Thats a fair point.

And hindsight is 20/20 but my point was the Chargers had the cap space to pay Williams his option and sign Hunter Henry to a similar deal he got with the Patriots. Granted, next year would have a lot less cap space but a healthy Hunter Henry and not Jared Cook - is that worth at least one more win this year. Hmmm...

Comment

• Boltjolt
                    Dont let the PBs fool ya
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Henderson, NV
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Berserker76 View Post

Let's not forget, folks, that HH also had a few issues with injuries. If not for that, I think they would have re-signed him.
                    So does Joey and Derwin. We aren't letting Derwin walk. Keenan did as well.

Comment

• jamrock
                      lawyers, guns and money
                      • Sep 2017
                      • Send PM

Thats a fair point.

And hindsight is 20/20 but my point was the Chargers had the cap space to pay Williams his option and sign Hunter Henry to a similar deal he got with the Patriots. Granted, next year would have a lot less cap space but a healthy Hunter Henry and not Jared Cook - is that worth at least one more win this year. Hmmm...
                      Adrian Phillips would have been worth at least 1 more win

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Dec 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

Adrian Phillips would have been worth at least 1 more win
                        I am not sure how Telesco missed not resigning that guy. He didn't get much money from the Patriots. He was well liked by the coaches, team and players . That was a big miss by Telesco not bringing him back.

Comment

• Boltgang74
                          We Are The Storm!
                          • Aug 2018
                          • Send PM

TT needs to go.Take his scouts with him.Time for a fresh start already.Its been damn near a decade without much in the way of winning seasons,div. titles,or trophys.:waiting:

Comment

Working...
                          X