• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bolt4Knob
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Dec 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

I agree that I am not sold on Mike Williams at $15 mill + per season, at least not unless he can really step up over the last 3 games and show me that next step improvement.

However, it only takes 1 other team to feel like they have, and with the lack of quality FA, I think that may be the case. Teams have a lot of salary cap space and not many guys to spend it on. Remember Tyrell Williams. I think Mike Williams is somewhat better, but there was a lot less loose money to be spent that offseason, and the Raiders were desperate for WR help, so they pulled the trigger. Even though Williams was not a complete waste for them, he is still sitting at home, having been cut by LV after missing last year due to injury and playing sparingly for DET this year after a concussion.

here is a CBS article by a former agent who feels Mike Williams is worth $17 mill per as a FA.
    https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/a...s-of-spectrum/
    I hope the Chargers let Mike Williams test the market and hopefully somebody over pays and he moves on. He is just not consistent enough for the money.

And the last thing Telesco should do is franchise him - that just takes away cap space.

Comment

• Boltjolt
      Dont let the PBs fool ya
      • Jun 2013
      • Henderson, NV
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

The cap is very fluid and flexible. The history of the Chargers and the Spanii is too not do what say the Saints and Chiefs do. But the Chargers could do that and backload deals if they wanted. But if Dean is not flush with cap -= it can't happen

But if you are quitting on free agency already - the Spanos say thank you for allowing them to not spend their money because of "the future." All I know is Kansais City is kicking their ass in the present.

The Chargers have two more years of Herbert on a rookie deal - its time to spend the damn cash

Plus the cap will be going up in 2023 and 2024 - more than likely with a new TV deal.
      So when Herberts rookie contract is over, we are done?

Mahomes is making 500 million and they have the #1 seed. The front office just needs to be better.

11 Brock Bowers TE - Georgia (plus AZ 2025 1st)
      35 Kris Jenkins DT - Michigan
      37 Cooper Beebe OG -Kansas st
      66 Mike Sainristil CB - Michigan
      69 Jaylen Wright RB - Tenn or Blake Corum - Michigan
      100 Brenden Rice WR - USC (trade ⬆️w/ Wash for 2025 5th)
      110 Cedric Gray LB - N. Carolina
      140 Hunter Nourzad OC -Penn st
      181 Jarrian Jones CB - Florida st
      225 Cedrick Johnson Edge - Ol' Miss ➡️ 253 Fabien Lovett DT-FL st

Comment

• Boltnut
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

I agree that I am not sold on Mike Williams at $15 mill + per season, at least not unless he can really step up over the last 3 games and show me that next step improvement.

However, it only takes 1 other team to feel like they have, and with the lack of quality FA, I think that may be the case. Teams have a lot of salary cap space and not many guys to spend it on. Remember Tyrell Williams. I think Mike Williams is somewhat better, but there was a lot less loose money to be spent that offseason, and the Raiders were desperate for WR help, so they pulled the trigger. Even though Williams was not a complete waste for them, he is still sitting at home, having been cut by LV after missing last year due to injury and playing sparingly for DET this year after a concussion.

here is a CBS article by a former agent who feels Mike Williams is worth $17 mill per as a FA.
        https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/a...s-of-spectrum/
        I think this off-season will surprise many Chargers' fans. We're so used to being thrifty in free agency. We've had to. We've had expensive QB's ever since we can remember.
        Having said that, look at last off-season. We had free agents along the offensive line. The offensive line needed to be upgraded badly... and Telesco went out and got 3 new offensive linemen through FA. 2 of those 3 were fairly expensive contracts (for IOL).

Now most will say, "Just re-sign MW... and we're good at WR". But... are we...? Our offense is not all that good against the league's best defenses. If we're truly making a SB push next year, we will have to defeat good defenses... we'll need to out-score KC... find an offense that Bellicheck has no scheme for. IMO, Davante Adams does that for us. Mike Williams doesn't do that. Defending KA and DA at the same time would require resources (probably 2 defenders each).

It's a lot to pay 1 player. But once you realize that it's the same pay for MW and Bulaga combined ($25-26 million)... it just makes sense. Sure, we could use that $26 million on 4 or 5 different FA's. But you're not getting play-makers or game changers like Adams. Addressing depth through more FA signings is a decent argument. But 11 draft picks accomplishes much of that. The 11 draft picks and cap money to spend is the perfect storm. The opportunity is there... everybody knows it. Time for TT to hit a home-run.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Dec 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

So when Herberts rookie contract is over, we are done?

Mahomes is making 500 million and they have the #1 seed. The front office just needs to be better.
          Teams manage the cap if you have enough cash. And as amateur capologist - I have found that its better to push cap out - just keep borrowing. It may catch up to you but with Herbert still on a rookie deal - maximize that time of his contract.
          The Chargers have enough cap this offseason to be very aggressive in fixing needs. I mean Davante Adams or the Patriots CB type aggressive. That also includes signing your own guys like Kyzir White, Nwosu, Justin Jones, bringing back Aboushi and maybe Storm Norton.

Comment

• Boltnut
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2019
            • Send PM

If we spend big in FA'cy my bet is its for the secondary rather than WR. JC Jackson would be a good get and another safety, maybe bring back Adrian Phillips (yes im stealing from NE)...and still draft a CB. Thats building the back end of the defense Staley's way then sign a couple DTs.Then draft an Edge, LB, draft a good RB earlier.

But i think you are dreaming thinking we will sign Adams when they seem to be pretty fond of MW. If MW is good w/ 15-16 per year i bet he stays, if he wants more he might be gone too but i doubt we are spending 25 mil a year on Adams and MW is 2 years younger than Adams.

Id love to have Adams so dont get me wrong he is a dynamic player and it would be a big sign of doing what it takes if we lose MW but i just have a hard time seeing them doing that if im being realistic from history of this team.

But hey, maybe they surprise and they sign Adams AND JC Jackson. Happy Day there imo.
            We'll have to see if NE re-signs those guys... they have a decent amount of cap space. Whether we build Staley's defense through FA or draft is to be seen. Again, we struggle against the league's best defenses.

Comment

• Charge!
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Aug 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

I think this off-season will surprise many Chargers' fans. We're so used to being thrifty in free agency. We've had to. We've had expensive QB's ever since we can remember.
              Having said that, look at last off-season. We had free agents along the offensive line. The offensive line needed to be upgraded badly... and Telesco went out and got 3 new offensive linemen through FA. 2 of those 3 were fairly expensive contracts (for IOL).

Now most will say, "Just re-sign MW... and we're good at WR". But... are we...? Our offense is not all that good against the league's best defenses. If we're truly making a SB push next year, we will have to defeat good defenses... we'll need to out-score KC... find an offense that Bellicheck has no scheme for. IMO, Davante Adams does that for us. Mike Williams doesn't do that. Defending KA and DA at the same time would require resources (probably 2 defenders each).

It's a lot to pay 1 player. But once you realize that it's the same pay for MW and Bulaga combined ($25-26 million)... it just makes sense. Sure, we could use that $26 million on 4 or 5 different FA's. But you're not getting play-makers or game changers like Adams. Addressing depth through more FA signings is a decent argument. But 11 draft picks accomplishes much of that. The 11 draft picks and cap money to spend is the perfect storm. The opportunity is there... everybody knows it. Time for TT to hit a home-run.
              I think adding one or 2 speed merchants to the WR core would have greater impact than adding another expensive possession type WR.....

I think spending most of our FA money on defense and OL would be better spent.....

Comment

• Boltjolt
                Dont let the PBs fool ya
                • Jun 2013
                • Henderson, NV
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Teams manage the cap if you have enough cash. And as amateur capologist - I have found that its better to push cap out - just keep borrowing. It may catch up to you but with Herbert still on a rookie deal - maximize that time of his contract.
                The Chargers have enough cap this offseason to be very aggressive in fixing needs. I mean Davante Adams or the Patriots CB type aggressive. That also includes signing your own guys like Kyzir White, Nwosu, Justin Jones, bringing back Aboushi and maybe Storm Norton.
                Yes, I know we have a lot of cap money. That's not my point.

You keep saying Herbert has two more years on his rookie contract (it's three actually) as if when his rookie deal is over, we can't afford to do anything.

And I'm saying you can, but the front office needs to be better. KC is doing it. The Patriots did it, Tampa Bay is doing it.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                  Dont let the PBs fool ya
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Henderson, NV
                  • Send PM

Bo Nix is transferring from Auburn to Oregon. Kinda odd he is doing that.

OU QB Rattler is transferring to South Carolina.

Comment

• gzubeck
                    Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Tucson, AZ
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

The more money you pay to fewer players the worse it gets. When Bosa goes down for a few games we feel it. When KA goes down we feel it. The way this can work with Davonte is because the cap is going up next year. I still think it's an insult to make Herbert wait for the end of his rookie contract and this smells of desperation on the part of Telesco to move all the chips in one pile. It hasn't been the offense that's been losing most of our games it's the defense. If we had a decent defense staley starts to kick some field goals again. LOL!

:coffee:
                    Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Dec 2019
                      • Send PM

Yes, I know we have a lot of cap money. That's not my point.

You keep saying Herbert has two more years on his rookie contract (it's three actually) as if when his rookie deal is over, we can't afford to do anything.

And I'm saying you can, but the front office needs to be better. KC is doing it. The Patriots did it, Tampa Bay is doing it.
                      I am not saying that at all about after his contract runs out - they can't do anything.

I am saying though that Herbert is going into year 3 - and sorry, you are right, they will pick uip the 5th yuear option - I am more saying maximize his rookie deal and spend the damn cash now

Comment

• Boltjolt
                        Dont let the PBs fool ya
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Henderson, NV
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

The more money you pay to fewer players the worse it gets. When Bosa goes down for a few games we feel it. When KA goes down we feel it. The way this can work with Davonte is because the cap is going up next year. I still think it's an insult to make Herbert wait for the end of his rookie contract and this smells of desperation on the part of Telesco to move all the chips in one pile. It hasn't been the offense that's been losing most of our games it's the defense. If we had a decent defense staley starts to kick some field goals again. LOL!

:coffee:
                        It's only year two of his contract, you want to sign to a huge deal now? It will probably be after year 4, then you excercise his 5th year option and you get that year on top of it. He plays in the 5th year and then his contract kicks in.
                        I Think that's how it will work.

I dont think Mahomes feels insulted signing his 500 mil extension after his 4th year but I don't know how they structured it.
                        His contract was actually 10 years , 450 mil it had the year left on it.

His cap hit this year is 7.4 mil and next year it is 35.7 mil.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                          Dont let the PBs fool ya
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Henderson, NV
                          • Send PM

The Broncos signed Sutton to a 4 year 60.8 mil deal and the last 5 weeks he has like 7 receptions.and killing my FF team. I'd be better off starting Guyton.

I don't know why they don't throw to him very much. I think he has under 50 catches for the season.

Probably could of got him cheaper

Comment

Working...
                          X