First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boltnut
    replied
    Originally posted by Spaceater View Post
    These top 100 lists start rolling around the Hollidays @ nauseam for months until the actual draft.

Chargers need to reassess/evaluate themselves first. No way in hell this defense, with all the off-season defensive additions are still this bad stopping the run. It’s gotta be the system not the players. Feel the coaches and players are unable to play fast or cohesive brand of football. Would love to dive into prospects who would fit, but fit what exactly?
    When I first heard that we were bringing in Staley, I studied a lot of defensive tape on the Rams.
    Now I know we don't exactly matchup personnel-wise (Aaron Donald being the hardest to emulate).
    But the DT's (SJD and Austin Johnson) are largely executing their assignments.
    IMO, the LB's are not up to speed. They don't read/react quickly enough and they don't always fill the right gap.
    And Adderly is a piss poor tackler, doesn't take good angles, doesn't read/react quickly enough.

During any of the big plays, you'll find K9, Tranquill, or Adderly out of position, unable to get off a block, or miss a tackle.
    And quite honestly, Derwin has made mistakes too. My feeling is that it is the backend. And it makes sense... all of those players are Gusly's Guys.
    You'll notice we blow plays up when the LB's blitz/run blitz... only then do they fill running assignments correctly.
    But you can't run blitz every play. OC's will exploit that once it becomes a mainstay.
    Look for high IQ LB's. They don't have to be 1-3 round physical talent. Can even find FA LB's.
    Reeder actually fits the bill. I'm not sure why he hasn't gotten more reps.

Leave a comment:

• Spaceater
    replied
    These top 100 lists start rolling around the Hollidays @ nauseam for months until the actual draft.

Chargers need to reassess/evaluate themselves first. No way in hell this defense, with all the off-season defensive additions are still this bad stopping the run. It’s gotta be the system not the players. Feel the coaches and players are unable to play fast or cohesive brand of football. Would love to dive into prospects who would fit, but fit what exactly?

Leave a comment:

• ghost
    replied

5. DI JALEN CARTER, GEORGIA

Carter has been hampered by an injury in the early going and has been limited to only 132 snaps. However, his work as a sophomore in 2021 is enough to solidify his top-five draft stock, as he led the Bulldogs with a 90.0 pass-rushing grade.

6. DI BRYAN BRESEE, CLEMSON

Bresee is not your run-of-the-mill defensive tackle. At 6-foot-5, 300 pounds, he’s not holding an ounce of bad weight and could pass for a defensive end from a build perspective. He’s one of the best pure penetrators in the class and earned a 76.0 pass-rushing grade this season.

37. DI SIAKI IKA, BAYLOR

Ika is a hulking 6-foot-4, 358-pound nose tackle. He’s one of the rare athletes at that size who can still affect the passer. Ika has racked up 45 pressures since the start of the 2021 season.

45. DI CALIJAH KANCEY, PITTSBURGH

At 6-foot, 280 pounds, Kancey may not tick the physical boxes from the defensive tackle position, but I still want this guy rushing the passer. Even though he’s undersized, he’s still a high-end athlete for the position who can likely overcome those concerns.

Landing one of these above for the defense would be excellent.

Leave a comment:

• beachcomber
    replied
    2) still all about the Dline here, as still olde skool in that think that if you have a good NT, you usually have a good D, and for this draft, Siaki Ika is that guy. by my take, he is quick enough @the nose, and would def add some "scary" factor to our front four/Dline, and he could well be off the board here. and ditto for Sewell as really like his intangibles, albeit he has had some mixed reviews this season. and regardless, still think the both of the aforementioned are vintage Chargers and both w/solid intangibles for the LAC. Verse is another guy that eye like his intangibles, but if we get Tyree the round before, not sure it's time to bring in two EDs ?? as do think Joey is gonna play @least one more season for us, and before he joins his bro in SF (much better city for Joey me thinx, as never thought he was much of an LA/SoCal guy ?), and thinkin' that Mack will last w/us as long as he stays healthy, which could mean he is here longer than Bosa, as Mack has more than shown his value this season, and would also be a great mentor to Tyree if that was our round one selection. the other very large consideration is @TE, albeit not willing to go there if the aforementioned are still on the board, and as would hope that one of the three TEs might drop to round three, albeit as we saw last go 'round, counting your draft capital eggs before they hatch didn't work out so well for team Tommy John w/the JT Woods selection. do like KIncaid a fair bit, albeit not sure he's a slam dunk, coming from USD and playing in Utah ?? how good/NFL tough is he ?? can he handle the wood over the middle and in traffic ?? also like Emmanuel Forbes some, and would be nice if he creates turnovers, albeit think he is a bit on the slight side and more a boundary corner than slot, which would move Asante inside. Jalin Hyatt also gives me pause, as you don't want to pass on a guy that could be as good in the NFL as he was/is @Tennessee. and again, all that said, still lean lineman, 'specially early/round two, and hopin' that one of the skill players drops to round three. we've got J Day 'n Otito @1tech, so the bigger need is @LB, and as mentioned, we still have Khalil 'n Joey for another go 'round me suspex.

Leave a comment:

• beachcomber
    replied
    1) w/MW & Keenan as starters, and w/Palmer a capable WR3, and not to mention that the both of Guyton and Carter have shown they belong, not really on board any wideout round one program, as not smitten by anyone this go 'round, 'specially as compared to last year's bunch @WR. and ditto @CB w/JC Jack 'n Asante there, and possibly @DB, as we have Derwin and the sceptre of JT Woods there. Bijan would sure be fun, 'specially if he is as good as some think he could be, and he'd be hellah good in LaLaland, marketing/media wise, and we badly need an RB1. all that said, Bresee would def fill the shoes and then some of Jerry, and would quickly spell our FA IDL for the if and when we might need him, albeit we do have five there w/J Day, AJ, Fox, Fehoko and Otito. @DE there is no question that @least the one of Bosa and/or Mack will no longer be Chargers once JH signs on the dotted line, and Wilson has the measurables, and some production, albeit that could be a bit of a ? unless he finishes in a flurry this season. and so, as of right now, would prolly hope for Bresee and suspect that it's Tyree Wilson, as just don't think it's a good idea to take the cheese early w/a skill position player, unless you are close to absolutely certain the guy is a can't miss prospect, and as guessin' Robinson will be a good one, but closer to Ryan Mathews/MG3 than LT ?? we're an LOS team, that needs a DE3 before CB3/FS2.

Leave a comment:

• beachcomber
    replied
    first rounders (pickin' middle o' the pack or so ?)

DT Bryan Bresee * could be the bpa of the bunch if still on the board
    WR Jordan Addison, Jaxson Smith Njigba * not convinced this is a good idea
    RB Bijan Robinson * the intangibles are the selling point, albeit he has had some (seemingly) meh games this year
    CB Cam Smith, Clark Phillips * again, not sold on this direction
    DE Tyree Wilson * man o' man would this guy ease some concerns @DE, hedging the both of Bosa 'n Mack
    S Antonio Johnson, Brian Branch * not sold on this concept either, albeit the latter has ideal size/measurables and thinkin' he's gonna be a good one

second rounders (pickin' 'round 50 or so ?)

NT Siaki Ika * dude is flat out dangerous in offensive backfield, as wouldn't want to be a 225 lbs QB w/him in my grill
    LB Noah Sewell, Jack Campbell * really big need, and think JC is a bit of an overdraft here, and could be true of Sewell as well ??
    ED Jared Verse * love the intangibles, albeit not sure like Jeremiah Johnson last year, he isn't overhyped/overdrafted some
    WR Josh Downs, Rashee Rice, Jalin Hyatt, Zay Flowers * not interested in the least bit
    CB Emmanuel Forbes, Jaylon Jones * the former has made some plays this year, but not sure how much of a priority CB is for me
    TE Darnell Washington, Luke Musgrave, Dalton Kincaid * if we want a TE2, this looks to be the place to nut up and reach for one here
    RB Zach Evans * questionable elements to his gambit
    S JL Skinner * Nutty likes this guy, and prolly for good reason, and if you're not sold on the JT Woods investment

third rounders (eightysomethin' ?)

OT Matt Bergeron (didn't fare so well up against Jared Verse last Sat) * hasn't shown enough for me to want to invest more draft capital in Oline development
    WR Cedric Tillman, AT Perry * better size than some of the others, but still not convinced they are upgrades to what we've already got
    DT Calijah Kancey, Byron Young * the former def of some intrigue, the latter not so much
    OG Cooper Beebe * could be a solid, but better be pretty darn certain in the face of some of our other needs
    LB DeMarvion Overshown * crowd fave in some circles
    RB Zach Charbonnet * is it worth the gambit to go another fourth round RB
    OC Sedrick Van Pran * from Hardwick to Sedrick ?? dude could have some potential, and would be wise to hedge against Mr. Linsley

fourth rounders

RB Israel Abanikanda * not sure 'bout this guy, but does have some Marshall Faulk like stats in a game or two
    LB Owen Pappoe * 'nother guy that some here are raising the flag for
    CB Julius Brents * developmental talent, that might be better served hoping he lasts as an UDFA

fifth rounders

WR Rome Odunze, Charlie Jones * coupla more crowd faves, but can't really get on board personally
    OT Jaxson Kirkland * got some love last year/go 'round, albeit pretty quiet on his homefront this season
    OC Ricky Stromberg * has gotten more than a coupla few mentions here this go 'round

sixth rounders

LB SirVocea Dennis * don't know of him, but Jolt put him in one of his mocks
    RB Miyan Williams * man of intrigue/tempting, but then again, so was Trey Sermon
    OG Jordan McFadden * one of Nutty's nods, and could be good value down here

seventh rounders

TE Arik Gilbert * big risk, and prolly not Spanos style
    ED YaYa Diaby * great name, and good measurables
    OT Connor Galvin * seems like another one that would be good value if he lasts 'til down here
    OC Alex Forsyth * has had a mention or coupla few as well
    LB Tommy Eichenberg * 'nother Nutty rec, and whose draft stock varies from week 2 week

eighth rounders

CB Cameron Brown * would love this guy as an UDFA, as he is a very talented injury concern
    OC Eli Cox * 'nother guy that is easily worth a day three pick in my book
    RB Camerun Peoples * could well be off the board, but nflmockdraftdatabase consensus has him as undrafted
    DT Dante Stills * possibly the Brandon Siler of this stanza, as has some admirable intangibles by the look of things
    ED Amari Gainer * Nutty was pretty high on him, and ranked higher on other sites
    PT Michael Turk * Scott just had a 5 second hang time punt
    WR Justin Shorter * measurables, but somewhat soft

Leave a comment:

• Boltnut
    replied
    Roster post-offseason and post draft:

QB: Herbert/Nix
    RB: Eke, Kelly, Spiller, Abanikanda, Horvath
    WR: KA, MW, Palmer, Guyton, Jarrett
    TE: Everett, Hooper, McKitty, Smartt
    OT: Slater, Salyer, Dillard
    OG: Zion, Aboushi, McFadden, Jaimes
    OC: Linsley, Clapp

DT: SJD, AJ, Tito, Fehoko, Fox, Young
    OLB: Bosa, Mack, Carter, Rumph, Okoronkwo
    ILB: K9, Perryman, Littleton, Cashman, Niemann
    CB: JCJ, ASJ, Phillips, Ja'Sir, Leonard
    S: DJ, Skinner, Woods, Gilman

K: Hopkins
    P: Scott
    LS: Harris

Leave a comment:

• Boltnut
    replied
    Here's my off-season with re-structures (KA, JB, KM), cuttings, and signings... leaves us with $15 million to sign draftees and mid-season signings.

Draft:
    1st - CB: Clark Phillips. Replaces Callahan
    2nd - S: JL Skinner. Replaces Adderly with a good tackler who has the size to play Star and Money.
    3rd - DT: Byron Young. Replaces Tillery. Pass rusher who can also play the run.
    4th - WR: Rakim Jarrett. Depth, speed, and a KR/PR.
    5th - RB: Israel Abanikanda. Depth. Tough runner.
    6th - OG: Jordan McFadden. Depth. Can play OG/OT...? Salyer-type.
    7th - QB: Bo Nix. Wave good-bye to Stick/Daniel.

Leave a comment:

• Boltnut
    replied
    Originally posted by Boltnut View Post
    What will Callahan cost next year? OTC has him valued @$11.5 million/year.
    Considering that the Chargers are in Nickel/Dime formation 80% of the time, I'd say they are just as thin @CB as they are @EDGE.
    JCJ under-performed, then got hurt. ASJ has played well... but Callahan has been our best CB this year.
    Vato counts $9.4 million against our cap next year... and is a $7.4 million savings if cut. I'm not so sure about his inconsistency... and I have the feeling that Staley might move on.

Between the $9 million it might take to re-sign Callahan... and $7.4 million savings from Vato... that's a number of quality depth players you could get in FA.
    $16.5 million could buy you...
    Tracking the status and signings of all 2023 NFL free agents.

If I were spending the Callahan/Vato/Feiler money, here's what I might do... Note: I'm using OTC's "Valuation" tab.
    Callahan = 11.6 million
    Vato savings = 7.4 million
    Feiler savings = 6.5 million
    Total savings = 25.5 million

ILB Denzel Perryman = 2.5 million
    ILB Cory Littleton = 2.4 million
    ILB Blake Cashman = 1 million (contract is just a bit over Amen's contract... would replace Amen on the roster)

OLB Ogbonnia Okoronkwo = 1.7 million
    OLB Lorenzo Carter = 8 million

WR Jaylen Guyton = 1 million
    OC Will Clapp = 2.1 million
    OT Andre Dillard = 1.1 million
    TE Austin Hooper = 4.2 million
    OG Oday Aboushi = 2.8 million

You've got 10 players for 3 players.
    Rebuilt ILB
    Depth @OLB
    Depth @OL
    Depth @TE

Target slot corner and safety early in the draft... rebuild the secondary into what Staley wants/needs.
    Draft RB/WR depth in the 3rd/4th
    Start looking for DL depth in the 5th.

Leave a comment:

• beachcomber
    replied
    is it too late to resign Denze! :shifty:imp::tongue::biggrin::thumbsup:

not sure if the either of Reeder nor Tranq are returning, and.... would be nice to figure out a way to bring in Roquan ?? (....I'd offer him $10m/yr)

and re: Callahan, think I'd offer him $6m/yr, and offer Vato a restructure @$3m/yr.... if the none of 'em work out, so be it, and we move on from there.

also will be surprised to see Parham back, albeit don't see anyone there that makes me want to throw money @'em, and even tho eye liked the some of 'em in the draft when they came out.

@QB like the both of Stidham and Minshew.... would offer them the same as the CBs.... $3m/yr for Jarrett, and double that for Gardner.

team Tommy John needs to channel some of their inner AJ and not overpay for peoples so readily, and.... if they don't like the bottom line, then let them pare their wares elsewhere.

CB * JC Jack, Asante, Deane Leonard + Callahan + Vato + Kemon Hall ???
    S * Derwin, JT Woods, Alohi, Ja'Sir Taylor + Mark Webb ??

guys eye think they're bringing back for '023 * Van Noy@$3m/yr, Callahan@$6m/yr, Covington@$1.5m/yr, Fox@$1.5m, Deandre Carter@$2m/yr, JK Scott@$1.5m, Guyton@$1m/yr, Pips@$6m/yr, Fehoko@$1m/yr

ps. would offer to restructure Feiler @$3m/yr

Leave a comment:

• Boltnut
    replied
    What will Callahan cost next year? OTC has him valued @$11.5 million/year.
    Considering that the Chargers are in Nickel/Dime formation 80% of the time, I'd say they are just as thin @CB as they are @EDGE.
    JCJ under-performed, then got hurt. ASJ has played well... but Callahan has been our best CB this year.
    Vato counts $9.4 million against our cap next year... and is a $7.4 million savings if cut. I'm not so sure about his inconsistency... and I have the feeling that Staley might move on.

Between the $9 million it might take to re-sign Callahan... and $7.4 million savings from Vato... that's a number of quality depth players you could get in FA.
    $16.5 million could buy you...

Leave a comment:

• beachcomber
    replied
    Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

Every year is different. This year, we have talent in place along the OL. Salyer was a pleasant surprise. I think he's our future RT.
    It means we have 1 spot to improve along the OL (LG). This year's bunch of potential LG's is pretty good. I don't think we have to spend higher round capital to get a good one.

I'm more concerned about the secondary if Callahan isn't re-signed and if Vato is a cap casulty.
    IMO, Adderly won't be back either. Is JT Woods really the replacement...? Hard to believe that Staley rolls with a FS that can't tackle.

1st: CB Porter/Gonzalez/Phillips
    2nd: S JL Skinner
    3rd: WR Rome Odunze
    4th: RB Bigsby/Tucker/Rodriguez/Abanikanda
    5th: Mauch/McFadden
    personal suspicion is that we do somehow resign Callahan and perhaps restructure Vato ?? and yes, do think JT Woods is gonna replace the Nas, and that Alohi will remain as Derwin's backup, and.... think Ja'Sir spells Woods as his backup for the if and when need be ??

again personally, think the most likely selection for the Chargers is Tyree Wilson, as we are paper thin @DE w/the both of Mack 'n Bosa being serious health risks/injury concerns, and that Rumph is not a frontline force atm, and Van Noy is more an LB than ED.

round two, am guessing/suspecting that Siaki Ika is a good possibility, as thinkin' that our FO will want to replace Jerry, and again hedge our bets against the two injuries there, and to balance out our two FA vets w/another rookie to pair w/Otito ??

round three am hoping for a TE, as for the if and when we lose Parham, and given that the McKitty destiny doesn't seem to emphasize pass catcher quite yet, it does seem like a TE is likely.

CB round four ?? Linsley hedge round 5 ?? and somewhere in there we have to get an ED that relieves Van Noy of his ED responsibilities.... +RB > OG ??

Leave a comment:

Working...
X