First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leslie Grossman
    replied
    Originally posted by Caslon View Post
    Can I get a refresher on how the Chargers ended up with such a lousy cap space situation?
    JC, Bosa, Williams, Allen, Feiler combined all vastly overpaid considering all the injuries. Not that I didn't like the signings at the time.
    Will they finally all stay healthy is the big question. Also will they restructure big and take small pay cuts?
    Feiler out, Roll with the big 4 for 2 more years. When Herbie's 2nd contract starts I suspect all but one will be gone.

Leave a comment:

• Formula 21
    replied
    Versatility is a huge asset in today’s NFL, especially for teams looking to add depth to their offensive line units. Former Chattanooga offensive lineman McClendon Curtis

McClendon Curtis

is one of the most versatile offensive line prospects in the 2023 NFL Draft class. Curtis was also one of the most physically impressive prospects at this year’s Senior Bowl, measuring in at 6-foot-5 and 331 pounds with 35-inch arms and 10-inch hands.

Curtis spoke exclusively with The Draft Network about his experiences in Mobile and positional versatility. Curtis also happens to be an exceptional cook. We discussed his favorite recipes and how he launched a successful on-campus business selling prepared meals to his classmates.

JM: You attended this year’s Senior Bowl. What was that experience like?

McClendon Curtis: It was a tremendous experience. I really enjoyed competing against guys from bigger programs. I had a lot of fun. In fact, a lot of the guys I competed against were training at the same facilities as myself. I didn’t see many new faces (laughs).

I feel like I showcased my strength at the Senior Bowl. It was very similar to what I put on tape throughout the season. I was able to put that same strength on display against better competition.

JM: What do you think is the lasting impression you left on general managers and scouts in attendance?

McClendon Curtis: I feel like I can play all five positions across the offensive line. I could snap too, but I didn’t play any center in Mobile. I can play both tackle and guard positions. I can be dominant and flexible at multiple positions. I’m a very reliable player. I’m extremely physical. I’m very versatile and available to play every position. That’s what NFL teams are looking for.

JM: I’m going to get into that shortly. You met with all 32 teams, as every player did. Who are some of the teams you felt you had exceptional meetings with?

McClendon Curtis: I thought I had a great vibe with the New Orleans Saints. Their head coach [Dennis Allen] was right there on the field with us. I had a chance to speak with him up-close-and-personal. He saw who I am as a person and he asked me a bunch of questions. I think I stuck out to him.

I had a great meeting with the Arizona Cardinals. The Jacksonville Jaguars have always sent scouts to Chattanooga. The Los Angeles Chargers have always sent scouts as well. I was catching up with scouts I already knew from some of these teams. I had a few of those instances.

JM: There’s a lot of interest in you and it’s easy to see why. You’ve played both guard positions and offensive tackle throughout your time at Chattanooga. You touched on that positional versatility. How can that help you at the next level?

McClendon Curtis: I feel like you can’t box me into one position. I’m a guy that can help the team wherever we need. I can play that position in a pinch. That’s exactly what I did at Chattanooga. Wherever I’m needed, I’ll figure it out. I’ll put my best foot forward while I’m getting coached up at different positions. I just want to help the team win.

JM: With that said, which position do you see yourself playing moving forward based on the feedback you’ve received throughout this process?

McClendon Curtis: I know a lot of people can see me playing guard. A lot of teams asked me if I could play tackle for them at the Senior Bowl. I played tackle this past season at Chattanooga. I can see myself being a tackle, to be honest with you. Maybe they’ll kick me inside to guard. As a guard, I’m very impactful as an interior run blocker.

JM: You’re extremely powerful. Coming from Chattanooga, you’re going to be faced with some “small school” questions. That’s partially why the Senior Bowl was so big for you. You brought that up briefly. How do you typically respond to that narrative?

McClendon Curtis: It’s a part of the process. It’s not like I had to go to a “small school.” I had bigger offers. I chose Chattanooga because I wanted to stay in my hometown. I had plenty of FBs offers coming out of high school. I could have played at a higher level for a bigger program and it wouldn’t be a question.

I didn’t have to go to Chattanooga. I chose to. I wanted to be there. I thought I proved I was at that level at the Senior Bowl. I was excited to showcase what I can do against the best of the best.

Leave a comment:

• Boltnut
    replied
    Originally posted by Caslon View Post
    Can I get a refresher on how the Chargers ended up with such a lousy cap space situation?
    Sure.
    They went All-In.
    Just like every Charger fan has been hoping they'd do for the last 15 years...

Leave a comment:

• Caslon
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Boltnut
    replied
    Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

The Tennesse qb was dropping back 6 yards on every throw in that game.
    He had a lot of time to throw. Tennessee's center was very good, too. The whole OL held up well vs Alabama... not an easy thing to do.

Leave a comment:

• powderblueboy
    replied
    Originally posted by Boltnut View Post
    Slater/Salyer/Linsley/Zion/Wright That's what I want.

Draftbuzz says Wright will have trouble vs outside speed. But he did fine vs Will Anderson. Anderson is incredible in regards to converting speed to power. Wright handled that. Some say he is the best pass blocker of the bunch. He's my #21 target.

I'm not interested in keeping Feiler. Save the cap money... you already have his replacement on the roster (Salyer).
    Draft a young center in the later rounds to develop.
    The Tennesse qb was dropping back 6 yards on every throw in that game.

Leave a comment:

• Boltjolt
    replied
    Originally posted by TexanBeerlover View Post
    If your money is on Hyatt, then Chargers can move on from Keenan, but they would need to draft his teammate from Tennessee to fill Allen slot role, Cedric Tillman (3rd). That’s an upgrade and Tillman could also possible replace Mike Williams in 2024-25 so you’d have to WR’s on rookie contracts instead of 40 million of cap space on older vets. Grab Edge, DE/DT or RT 2nd.

I’d rather cut Feiler and resign Pipkins. Gives you flexibility to take BPA #54. My favorite 2nd round edge rusher is Will McDonald. Explosive with twitch and hot motor. Scares me he will test off the charts, might never leave KC which leads back to first round and passing on OL. It’s so tricky and full of risks. Wright may have handled Will Anderson but smaller edge with elite jump and movement skills like Will McDonald would be a mismatch. Only tackle/OG who could handle speed, like Slater is Peter Skoronski.

Ideal first three picks for Chargers -

#21. Peter Skoronski, OT
    #54. Will McDonald, Edge
    #85. Cedric Tillman, WR
    Tillman I really like. Just not a burner.
    Might benefit from him having a high ankle sprain and missing games this season, but not sure he will be there in the late third where we are.
    But he would be higher on the boards had he not missed games,... and Hyatt benefitted from that.

Just think if we did just this, drafting Hyatt and Tillman. We would have 3 Tennessee recievers including Palmer lol.

They also had Velus Jones prior to last season. Pretty good WR group.

Leave a comment:

• TexanBeerlover
    replied
    If your money is on Hyatt, then Chargers can move on from Keenan, but they would need to draft his teammate from Tennessee to fill Allen slot role, Cedric Tillman (3rd). That’s an upgrade and Tillman could also possible replace Mike Williams in 2024-25 so you’d have to WR’s on rookie contracts instead of 40 million of cap space on older vets. Grab Edge, DE/DT or RT 2nd.

I’d rather cut Feiler and resign Pipkins. Gives you flexibility to take BPA #54. My favorite 2nd round edge rusher is Will McDonald. Explosive with twitch and hot motor. Scares me he will test off the charts, might never leave KC which leads back to first round and passing on OL. It’s so tricky and full of risks. Wright may have handled Will Anderson but smaller edge with elite jump and movement skills like Will McDonald would be a mismatch. Only tackle/OG who could handle speed, like Slater is Peter Skoronski.

Ideal first three picks for Chargers -

#21. Peter Skoronski, OT
    #54. Will McDonald, Edge
    #85. Cedric Tillman, WR

Leave a comment:

• Boltnut
    replied
    Slater/Salyer/Linsley/Zion/Wright That's what I want.

Draftbuzz says Wright will have trouble vs outside speed. But he did fine vs Will Anderson. Anderson is incredible in regards to converting speed to power. Wright handled that. Some say he is the best pass blocker of the bunch. He's my #21 target.

I'm not interested in keeping Feiler. Save the cap money... you already have his replacement on the roster (Salyer).
    Draft a young center in the later rounds to develop.

Leave a comment:

• ghost
    replied
    1. https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/Player/Peter-Skoronski-OL-Northwestern

2. https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/Player/Paris-JohnsonJr-OL-OhioState

3. https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/Player/Broderick-Jones-OL-Georgia

4. https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/Player/Darnell-Wright-OL-Tennessee

5. https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/Player/Anton-Harrison-OL-Oklahoma

6. https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/Player/Dawand-Jones-OL-OhioState

Above are Draftbuzz ranking and I edited Wright in the 1st Round where he belongs. Wright is the lone pure RT in that group. Frankly, I like the idea of O'Cyrus better. Can still draft RT depth on Day Three, then focusing on WR and TE and DT in the next three Rounds, as I see the Charger needs.

SLATER/FEILER/LINSLEY/ZION/WRIGHT

Leave a comment:

• ghost
    replied
    Originally posted by TexanBeerlover View Post

RT position should have length and size since generally footwork suspect unless a first round grade. Don’t see Skoronski in that role, sure he could but not natural fit. Think he is a LG and a damn good one. Could kick Salyer to right side and draft Peter Skoronski #21 but don’t project him dropping down boards that long.

Musgrave has the highest ceiling with most speed which is why his stock in ascending. Try and avoid golden domers.

who will run faster at the combine, Hyatt or Flowers?
    My money is on Hyatt. He's got a closing gear that is a wonderment. 'If he's even, he's leavin'.

Been think about what Beachcomb said about O'Cyrus and when that projection is taken seriously, how do you view O'Cyrus Torrence at LG, replacing Feiler who moves over to RT. Everyone else stays put: SLATER/TORRENCE/LINSLEY/ZION/FEILER with Jamaree Salyer the interior swingman, with RT depth drafted in April.

Is that a pipe dream? Or is distinct possibly if the way Moore runs his offense - he doesn't get into position specific for players publicly, as he waits until he sees how it's shaking out in camp - as we know the prior offensive staff would not let Feiler be anything but a LG. With Torrence in that position at LG, let Pipkens walk and move Feiler outside. That's a line I have confidence in.

Leave a comment:

• TexanBeerlover
    replied
    Originally posted by ghost View Post

Looking at the WRs: I believe that Zay Flowers has fallen to the second round and Jalin Hyatt is in the first. This is my opinion.

I ranked the receivers 1. Hyatt 2. Addison. Anything after that, I'm lookin at Tight end. Musgrave is a solid option at #21, I like Dalton Kincaid a ton and the Charger brass is in love with Notre Dame players so they prefer Michael Mayer over Musgrave + Kincaid.

As far as OTs, remember that Woodie said that word is out that Peter Skoronski is the only OT with an 1st day grade who is a starter from Day One. Something to be mindful of.
    RT position should have length and size since generally footwork suspect unless a first round grade. Don’t see Skoronski in that role, sure he could but not natural fit. Think he is a LG and a damn good one. Could kick Salyer to right side and draft Peter Skoronski #21 but don’t project him dropping down boards that long.

Musgrave has the highest ceiling with most speed which is why his stock in ascending. Try and avoid golden domers.

who will run faster at the combine, Hyatt or Flowers?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X