First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dmac_bolt
    replied
    Originally posted by Chargerfreak View Post

I saw the Rams as having a solid paid for roster, who played good at the right time. They had a good oline, but the Rams defense showed up to close that game.
    Agree the LAR defense showed up, or the Cincy protection schemes both run and pass broke down, or a combo of both really. But the counterpoint I made was to the theory stated often and loudly all pre-draft that the Chargers have to draft a speed receiver at 17 to be elite.

Many of us disagree that is how you build a champion. LAR won the SB on the back of Kupp. Kupp ran a 4.62 at the combine. Any fair analysis will conclude Chase > Kupp. The difference in the game, the margin that made LAR a champion, was Stafford got time in the pocket to find a receiver and Burrow did not.

Leave a comment:

• Chargerfreak
    replied
    Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

I agree they were thin with half their WRs in street clothes. And yet they won with a game winning drive in Q4 that included almost solely pass receptions, the majority of which went to WR. Their grotesquely depleted WR group won the Super Bowl.

But that detail doesn’t matter. the only point needed is they won the SB. They proved the opposite of the theory that we need 3, 4, 5 top tier WRs to win. They won the SB with one.

We have enough WRs. We need a RT. THE difference in the SB was the OLs.
    I saw the Rams as having a solid paid for roster, who played good at the right time. They had a good oline, but the Rams defense showed up to close that game.

Leave a comment:

• blueman
    replied
    WTF? You mean it didn’t matter it was Kupp? I’ll call him, let him know.

Leave a comment:

• Xenos
    replied
    Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

I agree they were thin with half their WRs in street clothes. And yet they won with a game winning drive in Q4 that included almost solely pass receptions, the majority of which went to WR. Their grotesquely depleted WR group won the Super Bowl.

But that detail doesn’t matter. the only point needed is they won the SB. They proved the opposite of the theory that we need 3, 4, 5 top tier WRs to win. They won the SB with one.

So we’re actually in agreement then.

Leave a comment:

• Ghost of Quacksaw
    replied
    Originally posted by Velo View Post

Telesco's picks after the 1st round haven't been all that good to be honest. So maybe him not getting the guys he wanted bodes well for the guys he didn't really want.
    If Brandon Staley is who we think he is, then he drafted guys who are excellent scheme fits, and who address problem areas on the roster.

At the time the Spiller pick was made, there were two other backs I would have been glad to get, but Staley saw some specific things in Spiller that made him the target rather than a different player.

Likewise, Zander Horvath did a LOT in Purdue's offense, and he very versatile and athletic for a fullback. I'd like to see what he can do with short yardage carries, running behind Linsley and Zion, or Linsley and Feiler. The additions of Spiller and Horvath, along with Zion and Salyer, have given the Bolts a golden opportunity to conquer their Short Yardage Futility of 2021. The offense will have a significantly greater flexibility this season.

Leave a comment:

• dmac_bolt
    replied
    Originally posted by Xenos View Post

They won despite not having that much depth at WR. It helped that their defense kept them in the game.

Leave a comment:

• Ghost of Quacksaw
    replied
    Here's a vid of Staley's assessment of each member of the Bolts' draft class.

(3) Draft Grades | Los Angeles Chargers | Brandon Staley Draft Player Breakdown - YouTube

Leave a comment:

• Velo
    replied
    Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

What do you expect when we only have two picks inside the top 96? Everyone else wheeled and dealed and the Chargers stayed put. I'm gonna be positive and think we got some DB sleeper picks in the later rounds and maybe a better than expected Running back in the 4th. We done good in the off season so lets go with that!

:wtf:
    Telesco's picks after the 1st round haven't been all that good to be honest. So maybe him not getting the guys he wanted bodes well for the guys he didn't really want.

Leave a comment:

• DennisR91
    replied
    Needs to find day partner throw other teams off next year

Leave a comment:

• Lone Bolt
    replied
    Yea....I think more is being made of those comments about the 4th round than should be. He might have liked the players he missed, but not enough to trade up for them...otherwise, he would have, as his history suggests....instead, he is just being candid that the draft doesn't always fall perfectly...but in the end, it was important to stay put and use those picks to add young talent/competition in camp, rather than trade them away.

Leave a comment:

• Hadl2Alworth
    replied
    Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

TT said that about the 4rth round specifically, I think they might've been targeting a clister of guys that went within 10 picks right before where they picked at 123, some good corners, safeties, faalele, max mitchel uwazurike the NT, who knows which guy they wanted maybe coby byrant? IDK, but he almost seemed disapointed that they picked spiller
    You might be reading that into it.

Leave a comment:

• gzubeck
    replied
    Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Yep...a lot of us were ticked at Staley for gambling too much...okay to go for it on 4th down depending on the circumstance, but NEVER in your own territory unless yer trailing and it's late in the 4th quarter...
    Our defense sucked that bad last year. I don't think Staley goes for it on fourth down unless we're around the 50 yard line this season.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X